elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Virtualizing Backup exec

Has anyone tried to virtualize backupexec? I'm taking over a facility shortly and one of my goals is virtualize has much as possible. Right now they're using some odd ball backup software (Comvault) that I'd never heard/seen of before. The plan is move it to backupexec.

I'm trying to eliminate as much physical hardware has possible. I've verified the controller and tapebackup are supported by ESX .5.5 but haven't checked on BE yet.
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

mikefxu

I am running Backup Exec 2010 R3 on ESXi 5.0.0. All I use it for is for tape backup of Veeam files for offsite. The newest version of Veeam has tape backup capability now but I haven't updated yet or checked compatibility.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Commvault is really quite good as well, it does have a very different way of doing things.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

Commvault is really quite good as well, it does have a very different way of doing things.

I can't stand it, it takes me an hour every Monday to change out the tapes and relabel (update barcode). It's insane how much work I have to go through, thus back to my gold standard of BE.

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
When I ran BE, I ran it virtualized, but I dump my data to iSCSI targets (D2D2D), I don't use tape.

Assuming ESX and BE support it, I would expect it to work.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Weasel:

When I ran BE, I ran it virtualized, but I dump my data to iSCSI targets (D2D2D), I don't use tape.

Assuming ESX and BE support it, I would expect it to work.

That's another thought too, I was planning on dumping to an LTO6, I did verify that the hardware I want is supported by ESX, BE is the $64 question for me.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
where are you guys connecting the tape drive to? does it connect directly to a host?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

At this point nothing, but in theory yes I connect it to the host, and it's a pass through to the VM.

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Other thing: Are you going to be able to go 100% virtual? If so, I highly recommend Veeam over BE. I switched this fall and wish I had sooner.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Weasel:

Other thing: Are you going to be able to go 100% virtual? If so, I highly recommend Veeam over BE. I switched this fall and wish I had sooner.

No, I have a enterprise based application that runs over (currently 4) servers and connects to a DB. The "server" I plan to use is reasonably hefty but I don't see those servers being virtualized.
mikefxu
join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

mikefxu to tomdlgns

to tomdlgns
said by tomdlgns:

where are you guys connecting the tape drive to? does it connect directly to a host?

Yes.
said by elwoodblues:

At this point nothing, but in theory yes I connect it to the host, and it's a pass through to the VM.

This is what I do.
LMosla
join:2013-06-05
Eugene, OR

LMosla to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Make sure and have Backup Exec fully patched with updates and service patches.
You can virtualize your media server and directly attach to a tape drive or even better backup to a NAS.

Lenora
Backup Exec Tech Support
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to donoreo

to donoreo
I actually like CommVault alot. I used it my business and it worked great for us. BE was horrible for us. I had a tape Rack with a huge 400 tape library and auto changer. Never had to worry about the tapes, since my decks just bar code scanned the barcode on the tapes.

My problem even the newer decks are slow as sin. So only weekly fulls went there. commvault handled everything else.

amerivault / venyu /what ever it is now was also quite unique. My restore from commvault were so easy that it was great.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

I've got an antique of an auto loader using SuperDLT tapes the clown I'm taking over from barely backed anything up, claiming it was faster to rebuild from scratch then restore from tape.

Comvault to me, is a pain, I have put new tapes in the autoloader, then inventory them, then delete the contents, then delete the tapes and relablel them.

No f'n thanks, I'm planning on putting an LTO6 drive in place, that will backup everything quite nicely.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

i run 24 lto drives in my space. buy pre coded tapes... or get the lto6 id tagger. I bought mine from IBM and had the tape loader robot setup to read the barcode and verify before injecting.

Sounds like you work for a dealership chain I know.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

1 edit

elwoodblues

Premium Member

I've run into a snag testing.

I'm getting this error trying to create snapshots of the VM
quote:
Final error: 0xe0009574 - Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine may be too busy to quiesce to take the snapshot.
According to Symantec, you need to make sure the Vmtools VSS driver is installed or the Symantec one (after pushing the remote agent, it removes the Vmtools one and installs it's own).

So I've verified all that , but cannot backup the Vm's ,I haven';t tried just the OS with the agent yet.

Suggestions?

Edit: When I backup the OS (not the VM proper) it's working fine using the RAWS agent.
LMosla
join:2013-06-05
Eugene, OR

LMosla

this error can occur when:
the Backup Exec System Account doesnt have Administrator rights on the ESX machine.
the guest machine is in a Fault Tolerate configuration (the virtual machine has to be backed up as a physical server)
If the VMware-Tools Service within the guest operating system needs to be updated or restarted,
if there are existing snapshots on the guest vm (delete the snapshots for the guest machines on the ESX / Vsphere Host using the snapshot manager) ,
also if you do not have the vStorage API license
refer: »www.symantec.com/docs/TECH146397
and »www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160152

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Thanks very much LMosla, yes it's the "free" version (till I get my licences) so I have no API to the snapshot and backup.