uniqs

rudnicke
Premium Member
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL

rudnicke

Premium Member

Washing a cord

Can you wash an extension cord in a washing machine?

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

why would you? just take a wet rag and wipe it down.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to rudnicke

MVM

to rudnicke
Probably, but I wouldn't. I'd wipe it down with Lysol Wipes

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

2 recommendations

Midniteoyl to rudnicke

to rudnicke
Dont do that.. you'll be getting the contacts wet and then they'll start to corrode.. Corroding contacts cause heat. Heat causes fires.

You simply need to wipe down the outside of the cord with a damp rag/wipe. That is all.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
Yes! Just as long as you don't EVER intend to use it to conduct electricity again.

You should definitely wash it if it contains any blood or DNA evidence of a crime.

CompUser
join:2001-11-07
Ada, OH

CompUser to rudnicke

to rudnicke
Is it in use? If so, then no!
I don't see why not. Fill the washer, dip the cord in it and wipe it off! A sink may work better though.
85281231 (banned)
join:2014-02-01

85281231 (banned) to rudnicke

to rudnicke
Why and NO, beside you can't wash it that way, wipe it with a rag.

rudnicke
Premium Member
Rantoul, IL

rudnicke

Premium Member

My 6yr old was helping me put away a few extension cords, and he asked me why don't I just put them in the washing machine. I had no answer for him. Figured I'd ask the guru's on this site.

Thanks for all the input.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
No. In addition to the water corroding the contacts and wire connections to the contacts, the mechanical agitation can break the wire strands inside it causing weak/thin spots which can overheat, and if it gets pinched between the agitator and the drum the outer insulation can get damaged.

/M

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

4 recommendations

jack b to rudnicke

MVM

to rudnicke
Make sure both ends are unplugged or else the spin cycle gets interesting.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
As others have pointed out, damage to the connector area. Also damage to the washing machine tub from connector impacts. Very bad idea. A good hand wiping down allows close inspection of the cord for damage.

also wd
@172.56.27.x

also wd to rudnicke

Anon

to rudnicke
no. water and detergent will get into and stay on the male and female contacts, causing oxidation, which, as others have mentioned, can cause bad contact when put back into use, which leads to heat at the male and female plugs, which can cause melted plugs and fires.

if the contacts are already oxidized, you can clean them with sandpaper, wire brush, or emery board, to make them shiny again and best conducting.

also, though, if the cord is greasy or very dirty, wd40 or similar solvent, in a wiping rag, will get rid of the severe deposits. alcohol works less well, takes longer.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

John Galt6 to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
So, you'll be back here asking more questions when he's seven, right?

rudnicke
Premium Member
Rantoul, IL

1 recommendation

rudnicke

Premium Member

Yes. I can't keep up with is curiousity.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

4 recommendations

Kilroy

MVM

On the plus side it only lasts until about 13, then he'll know it all.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

3 recommendations

Wily_One

Premium Member

said by Kilroy:

On the plus side it only lasts until about 13, then he'll know it all.

Haha, yes. And that persists until the 2nd year of marriage. Then he's always wrong.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
In electronics manufacturing, in such places as fabs, we use purified de-i water to wash electronics, but we dry things thoroughly afterwards. You have to watch out for electronics that would pool water, such as some capacitors and heat sinks. Using dry, warm air is necessary to dry the stuff immidiatly. The problem with cords is the plugs can fill with water that doesn't dry out , or the cable sheething gets wet inside.

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl

Yes.. And pure water is used 'cause pure water doesnt conduct electricity and has nothing that would cause corrosion (other than oxygen, which is why you still dry it.)

bmccoy
join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA

bmccoy to rudnicke

to rudnicke
said by rudnicke:

My 6yr old was helping me put away a few extension cords, and he asked me why don't I just put them in the washing machine. I had no answer for him. Figured I'd ask the guru's on this site.

Thanks for all the input.

Never trust a 6 year old for electrical advice.
Expand your moderator at work