Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Microphone recording

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to video an event next month and I have a question about the microphone.

The event has several thousand bystanders while the re-enacters go through the battle. I have a Rode VideoMic Pro (»www.rodemic.com/micropho ··· eomicpro) that works great but I don't want to pick up all the crowds babbling (because heaven forbid they shut up and watch). Is there a way to maybe put a cardboard cone around the mic so it only, or at least mostly, records the re-enactors in front of me instead of the crowd around me babbling?

Thanks

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

That may alter the pattern of the mic, but the "cure" might sound worse than without, hard to say without actually testing it first. If it doesn't meet your satisfaction, rent what is known as a "shotgun" mic for your camera for this event, a longer version of what you have already. These are extremely directional microphones used for just this sort of application.

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Ok, so I should really just use it as is?

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
I'd say find a file folder, shape it into a cone, and do some experimentation. Keep in mind the vents on the side of the mic are there to help it achieve its directionality through acoustic cancellation.

The longer shotgun microphones have more of these vents on the side of the microphone, and are able to discriminate more sound from the front of the mic than your shot stubby mic.