uniqs

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

Here We Go Again; Native Blockade

Via rail having to bus people from Toronto to Montreal.

"BELLEVILLE, Ont. - A popular Mohawk agitator in eastern Ontario is once again leading a highway blockade - this time to push for an inquiry into missing native women across Canada."

»www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/su ··· 155.html

While the missing native women is a serious problem, from what I understand, the RCMP has been investigating the disappearances as best they can. I can't for the life of me see what a federal inquiry is going to accomplish..... Nor do I think this kind of criminality is the way to push for one.

"Ontario Provincial Police say they are monitoring the blockades but have taken no action."

Of course they haven't......
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Missing Native women is a very serious issue however blocking train traffic will not help gain public support...

Sadly Loretta Saunders an Inuit student studying law at Saint Mary's went missing last month and was later found to be murdered....

Ironcialy Ms Saunders university thesis was on missing Aboriginal women...

»www.news957.com/2014/03/ ··· n-court/

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

I can't for the life of me see what a federal inquiry is going to accomplish..... Nor do I think this kind of criminality is the way to push for one.

I'm with you here. They've studied the hell out of this already, blowing millions more on an inquiry isn't going to address the issue.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
Because blocking highways will mean we'll find missing native women.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by AppleGuy:

When you are desperate and no one will listen to you, you go to extreme measures. The police are taking the correct action.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

Sadly Loretta Saunders an Inuit student studying law at Saint Mary's went missing last month and was later found to be murdered....

She was "allegedly" murdered by roommates who wouldn't pay up their share of the rent. I find it really hard to link this so some grand conspiracy.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

When you are desperate and no one will listen to you, you go to extreme measures.

I haven't seen a shred of evidence that the RCMP and those in Government aren't listening about this problem.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot to corster

to corster
said by corster:

said by Ian1:

I can't for the life of me see what a federal inquiry is going to accomplish..... Nor do I think this kind of criminality is the way to push for one.

I'm with you here. They've studied the hell out of this already, blowing millions more on an inquiry isn't going to address the issue.

Unfortunately it's about the only way people will listen to them and hopefully actually do something about it.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

said by Warez_Zealot:

Unfortunately it's about the only way people will listen to them and hopefully actually do something about it.

Yet when young people take to the streets for those same reasons during the G20 conference in Toronto, the police go out kettling people and cracking skulls.

Canadians take major issue with two-tier health care, but god forbid we have a similar attitude toward two-tier justice.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by AppleGuy:

When you are desperate and no one will listen to you, you go to extreme measures. The police are taking the correct action.

I wonder your armchair sympathiser position should they blockade something pertinent to you up in Owen Sound?

thebaron
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Zegema Beach

thebaron

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

said by AppleGuy:

I wonder your armchair sympathiser position should they blockade something pertinent to you up in Owen Sound?

Carefull, you might be labeled a racist for disagreeing with the blockading of a major rail line.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

1 recommendation

Warez_Zealot to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Warez_Zealot:

Yet when young people take to the streets for those same reasons during the G20 conference in Toronto, the police go out kettling people and cracking skulls.

Canadians take major issue with two-tier health care, but god forbid we have a similar attitude toward two-tier justice.

IMO I don't think that it's the same situation.

If you look at the history between natives and the government, the government has already done way worse. So I think any heavy handed action from the government is scrutinized more heavily.

I recently went to the Museum of Anthropology at UBC and saw the special exhibit on native schools. Some pretty disgusting stuff they did to the native population there.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

said by AppleGuy:

Already have. We have two First Nations around here, both part of Saugeen Ojibway Nation. It's not a huge matter. People respect the blockades.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

Missing Native women is a very serious issue however blocking train traffic will not help gain public support...

»www.news957.com/2014/03/ ··· n-court/

I agree. This is not going to help Native people.
"Ontario Provincial Police say they are monitoring the blockades but have taken no action."
Overtime baby. on taxpayers expense.
said by AppleGuy:

And during garbage strike OR other Union strikes Courts agrees they have right to slow down. at least 5 mts per car.

There you go tow tier system.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

2 recommendations

LazMan to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
Give them a 1 hour notice that a plow-train will be coming through, followed by 30, 15, 10, and 5 minute warnings.

Then run a plow train through.

Or, you know, treat them like any other trespasser, give them the opportunity to leave of their own accord; and if they refuse, arrest their asses, and throw them in jail. The way any other person would be treated...

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
That's just great. We had a rally here in St. Catharines too...

They don't pay taxes yet receive handouts, they want us to stay off 'their' land yet disrupt operations on 'our' land, they don't follow our laws yet demand we involve ourselves in theirs.

It seems that aboriginals utilize the Canadian government as is convenient for them...
DSA
join:2013-04-27
Brantford, ON

DSA to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Give them a 1 hour notice that a plow-train will be coming through, followed by 30, 15, 10, and 5 minute warnings.

I dont get it, why the warnings, here in brantford we have to deal with the six nations on a regular basis. I had the chance to run one over one time but thought twice, he was big and fat and would have damaged my truck.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Then run a plow train through.

Or, you know, treat them like any other trespasser, give them the opportunity to leave of their own accord; and if they refuse, arrest their asses, and throw them in jail. The way any other person would be treated...

If you cared to look at the news, you would see that the blockade is not only not on the tracks, it is outside the crossing gates. Your suggestion is simply ignorant.

BTW, the blockade was lifted at 4:30 this afternoon.
DKS

DKS to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

They don't pay taxes yet receive handouts, they want us to stay off 'their' land yet disrupt operations on 'our' land, they don't follow our laws yet demand we involve ourselves in theirs.

It seems that aboriginals utilize the Canadian government as is convenient for them...

First Nations members pay taxes in Canada, save sales taxes for items used on First Nations. They are, indeed, as the Supreme Court has determined, sovereign nations themselves, with specific rights under the Crown.

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
No, ignorance is showing total disregard for the laws of the land, and other citizens.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by LazMan:

No, ignorance is showing total disregard for the laws of the land, and other citizens.

What laws have been disregarded? I believe we all still have the right to peaceful demonstration. First Nations have that right on their land. Your point?

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

That's just great. We had a rally here in St. Catharines too...

It seems that the Canadian government takes care of aboriginals as is profitable for them to do so, such as when there's oil under or a rail line to run through their sovereign land.

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

3 recommendations

LazMan to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Protest on 'their' land? Absolutely.

Blockade roads and train tracks? Not an effing chance.

Role-play time...

A bunch of white men blockade one of the busiest freight and passenger corridors in the country... Do the cops a) sit back, watch, and take a 'wait and see' approach, or b) start knocking skulls and dragging people away?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

Sales should spike at the local Tim Horton's shop.

Same old, same old, but these protests are always the first sign that spring is coming, they never seem to do much in the dead of winter. As for the OPP, they do a little less.
System

to Ian1

Anon

to Ian1
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course