uniqs

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

Flashdrive security issue

Hey guys, first, I don't know which forum this question best fits, since it's part hardware (usb drive) part security (Kanguru) part software (Kanguru) so if need be, please move. Sorry ahead of time for any problems. Anyway.

I have an 8GB Kanguru flashdrive that I use at work. I use it so I can run firefox portable on it and basically be able to do the things I want and not worry too much about leaving a trail behind me. I'm the only person that really uses this machine anyway, but it's just one of those things I don't want to log in to my accounts on company equipment, even if I am the only user of it.

Anyway, the flash drive runs Kanguru Defender Basic on it, which is basically just a security/encryption program that mounts your drive once you've validated yourself to it with your password. Otherwise the drive with the data doesn't show up and you cannot access it. No problem. Until today.

When I plug in the drive, the system detects it, and I double click on the Kanguru drive to launch the loader for the Kanguru portion. This is where my problem arises. The thing just sits there. The screen it gives me (above pic) says "Validating Device Security. Please Wait....." and does nothing from there. Should you click on it, you get the greyed out screen of death with "this program is not responding......"

Has anyone else ever used one of these drives and had this happen? I tried updating the software to the latest version, which it took with no issues, which kind of eliminates corruption as the cause, but I still get the same thing. I also tried this on another PC, with the same results there as well, so I can pretty much eliminate the PC.

Any ideas as to what to try next are appreciated. There's nothing on the drive I overly care about losing, I have pretty much everything on it backed up somewhere, as like I said, it really only runs firefox portable for me.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

1 - have you contacted the vendor?
2 - have you checked on their forums?
3 - have you checked their faq?

I suspect that the software on the usb stick needs to updated or replaced.
USB sticks do wear out over time and you mya have a file that has become corrupted.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to captokita

to captokita
If you have everything backed up, I'd format the stick and put fresh copies of everything on it. Start new.
Expand your moderator at work

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita to Raible

Premium Member

to Raible

Re: Flashdrive security issue

said by Raible:

If you have everything backed up, I'd format the stick and put fresh copies of everything on it. Start new.

That's just it, you CAN'T format it unless you mount the drive itself. When you plug the drive in, the system treats it as a CDFS for the Kanguru part - then once you authenticate yourself it mounts the actual drive to be read/written to.

As I said, I updated the software from Kanguru's website, it found the stick, and installed the update with no errors, but it just didn't make any difference. Could just be a bad flash drive, but I thought I'd ask around first. Their forums aren't very helpful, and you can't submit a support request without a SN from the device, which there isn't one on it, but it might be on the box it came in, if I can find it.

So I'm stuck ATM.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL

Tursiops_G

MVM

Look on both sides of the usb connector shell. There may be a SN laser etched into the metal... (?)

zinwhit
@158.68.66.x

zinwhit

Anon

I am having the exact same issue today with my Kanguru Defender Basic. Maybe it was something with the recent software update?!!!

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita to Tursiops_G

Premium Member

to Tursiops_G
said by Tursiops_G:

Look on both sides of the usb connector shell. There may be a SN laser etched into the metal... (?)

Nope. I looked all over this thing when I tried to fill out a support request. No SN on the stick, and I don't know where the box is. lol

To zinwhit - the problem happened with the previous software version as well, it let me update the device to the latest version after the problem started. I had hoped that would solve the problem, but it was not to be.
captokita

captokita

Premium Member

Apparently, I'm not alone. Just checked back on their support site and saw this:
quote:
Important Announcement!

We are aware of an issue that is affecting several of our secure Defender flash drive models. Devices exhibiting this issue will lock up during initialization, preventing the user from accessing the log in screen. This issue is primarily affecting Defender Basic users, but may also occur on other Defender models if they are running out-dated versions of the KDM client application. In order to resolve this issue, please make sure your Defender is updated with the latest client version. Links to download the latest client KDM versions can be found below.
The NEW latest version is 1.2.1.9 - which they released yesterday. Downloading now, and will report back the results.

SUCCESS! There was a slight delay, but the log in screen did come up. It took my password and all looks well. Wonder what the deal is with it then? I've scanned it with AV just in case and nothing was found.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL

ImpldConsent to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
For those of you who would like a similar product with a spare USB stick, I would recommend the free Debian based Tails. Easily installed on a either USB, DVD, SD.