Search similar:

uniqs

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

The need for wifi passwords strikes home!

$800 bill from Rogers for unsecured wifi ...

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b ··· .2577859

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

Rogers is partially to blame here IMO, if they allow the rocket hub to be unsecured, with the potential for monstrous charges if people steal someone's access, especially uninformed people like this lady.

I've never used one of these rocket hubs, but IMO they should not allow unsecured wifi on it.

shrugs
@videotron.ca

shrugs to sbrook

Anon

to sbrook
Wait till she gets a Voltage extortion letter for downloading the very popular Warbirds.webrip.xvid.avi

That will be the icing on the cake to go with her 810$ Rogers Rocket hub Mobile B/W bill.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to sbrook

to sbrook
I was a little curious as to why there wouldn't be a default wifi password on the device, so I decided to google it.

It came up with the quickstart guide and in the instructions on how to connect wirelessly, it says to use the password on some kind of card.

It has me wondering if these devices come with a password and the person decided to disable it.

I have mixed feelings. This customer isn't much older than my mom, and even my mom knows to use a wifi password. 65 isn't that old. 90 is old, 65 you're just hitting retirement.

What I was wonder more is why this customer is using a cell technology based internet plan? Wouldn't she be better of on a cable/dsl plan? Larger caps and smaller overage?

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth

said by zod5000:

What I was wonder more is why this customer is using a cell technology based internet plan? Wouldn't she be better of on a cable/dsl plan? Larger caps and smaller overage?

Advertising. It is something that has screwed over so many many people. "Look how fast it is, just like DSL or cable!!!*" *Please ignore that tiny cap that is nothing like DSL or Cable.

On that, we would have to assume she is in a DSL or Cable internet area in Chilliwack and a Cellular hub was not her only choice.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
Rogers will reduce it to $345, and she's standing her ground refusing to pay a single penny.

g121
play lordsgame com | Phone Cops are real
join:2004-05-28
Toronto
Hitron CODA-4680
Asus RT-AC86
Grandstream HT812

g121 to sbrook

to sbrook
be it one's internet account or one's cell account .. you should be able to set a "warning $ level". when your monthly costs encroaches on your "warning $ level", you get a notification so you can take appropriate action even if it's simply to call the vendor to figure out what the blink is going on. it's obscene that vendors are allowed to "spring" these outrageous bills on folks without any advance warning.

this should be mandatory for all ISP\Cell providers ..

cheers from Toronto ..

zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

It is mandatory for cell providers isn't it? It was part of the new CRTC regulations? If this type of internet (data) is provided over cellular technology shouldn't the rules apply?

I use Virgin Mobile and I get a text when I get close to my cap. They were doing that long before the CRTC rules.

If this customer isn't using the cell service for a phone how would they notify her? Most likely by email? Was she checking her rogers provided email account (or setting it up to forward to whatever email account she actually uses?)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to g121

Premium Member

to g121
it is on Cell users, WHEN ROAMING, not when you are in-country,
akoostik
join:2013-11-07

akoostik

Wireless Code covers domestic roaming and wireless data - depends on when the contract was signed as well.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Bell customers might end up in the same situation, on many of Bell's older Wi-Fi router/modems the unit is configured with WEP, an encryption scheme that is trivial to break.

Since both of these corporations buy the stuff from the manufactures and both have asked for modifications to the firmware it seems reasonable that they force a minimum standard of security such that the user cannot disable encryption.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to HiVolt

to HiVolt
If the rocket hubs come by default enabled with no wireless access security, then Rogers is clearly at fault.

If the lady disabled it on her own because it's "easier" to connect multiple devices or when family/friends go over, I have no sympathy for her. Too often common folk ignore recommendations and warnings and to use their devices in the most convenient fashion.

Just because technology can be convenient and available to the non-technologically inclined masses, doesn't absolve the consumer of responsibility. Too bad the article didn't clearly mention if Rogers had sent the hub per-configured. They do for cable modems.
said by Thane_Bitter:

Bell customers might end up in the same situation, on many of Bell's older Wi-Fi router/modems the unit is configured with WEP, an encryption scheme that is trivial to break.

Since both of these corporations buy the stuff from the manufactures and both have asked for modifications to the firmware it seems reasonable that they force a minimum standard of security such that the user cannot disable encryption.

Bell hasn't handed out 2Wire modems for at least 2 years now. You get a Bell Connection Hub (Sagemcom F@ST 2864) for all DSL packages from Bell and those use WPA2 by default (and enabled by default with a password they give you).
jackie999
join:2008-08-13
Aurora, ON

jackie999 to sbrook

to sbrook
Rogers did the same thing with my (senior) mom. I went over the weekend after Rogers had done their install and was surprised to see the modem wifi was up and open. I called and gave them a piece of my mind and passworded it for her.
Shame on you Rogers...building your coffers off of seniors meager savings. I liken it to stealing.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to sbrook

to sbrook
I would be on her side if ROGERS did not provide documents telling you how to lock it.

I know why they don't lock it out of box... because people would complain the service doesn't work because they don't know how to type in the password.

Right or wrong... If ROGERS or whoever supplied documents on paper with the wifi router, and you chose to not read it, or do what it said, it's your own fault. Ignorance is not an excuse.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

The funny thing is, periodically they (Rogers) update the thing remotely, wiping the Wifi password in the process.. leaving it all wide open again.

Sad.

No WAY
@videotron.ca

No WAY

Anon

said by mlord:

The funny thing is, periodically they (Rogers) update the thing remotely, wiping the Wifi password in the process.. leaving it all wide open again.

Sad.

Are you fucking serious? SERIOUS??
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to humanfilth

to humanfilth
said by humanfilth:

That is probally all that is available to her. I am in the same boat. DSL and cable is not everywhere.

Bell has actually steadfastly refused to expand to my neighbours and I. We are about 1.5 KM away from DSL.

Bell got/is getting government money.... says that wireless is the cheapest to get internet to people charge $6.66 a gigabyte, then charges 235% more per gigabyte beyond 15 gigs at $15 a gigabyte. The issue is, Bell cell towers, and Bell DSL is the same company. What incentive do they have to expand?

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to mlord

to mlord
said by mlord:

Sad.

I'd like to say I'm shocked, but then again, this is Rogers.

If this is the case, the woman in the article should to the CTS. Carried provided and maintained device being left vulnerable like that is not her fault.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Rogers is partially to blame here IMO, if they allow the rocket hub to be unsecured, with the potential for monstrous charges if people steal someone's access, especially uninformed people like this lady.

I've never used one of these rocket hubs, but IMO they should not allow unsecured wifi on it.

Similar to a wireless router, the rocket hub comes preconfigured with a wireless password and ssid. Its up to the user to change the defaults. Its not hard for anyone to look up the default passwords for any device manufacturer.
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino to sbrook

to sbrook
Wondering if she keeps the thing on 24/7 for "convenience's sake". Keep the silly thing off when you're not using it.

And yes, the book tells you how to get into the system to make changes, AND how to restore to defaults.

I have a different wireless Wi-Fi hub through another carrier (NOT RoBeLus), and yes, it's easy to hack in and get everything you need for a free ride.

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5 to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
I have one of these, the default SSID and password is random and printed on the bottom, it is hardcoded into the firmware. There is no common default. The default security method is WPA.

Yes, you can remove the password and security through the web interface, change the SSID and password, etc. Resetting the hub to factory defaults will restore the "default" SSID credentials listed on the bottom label.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by HiVolt:

Similar to a wireless router, the rocket hub comes preconfigured with a wireless password and ssid. Its up to the user to change the defaults. Its not hard for anyone to look up the default passwords for any device manufacturer.

Really, somje untech like Senior is going to know this?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Most devices I've seen that have a preconfigured wifi password, it's a sticker on the bottom of the device with a unique password thats hardcoded even if you reset it.
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

BrianON to sbrook

to sbrook
Anybody know if this device has the WPS PIN feature enabled? This was shown to be easily bypassed a while ago and should be disabled.

A lot of the 'security numbers' printed on such routers are just this PIN (it's shorter than a secure password would be). It can be made a little secure if the router blocks access for a wrong guess for a period of time but the common implementation allows an attacker to just brute force it in short order.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
See..once again, you see how Rogers is doing everything wrong.
Now I am unsure of their wifi security rules with the Rocket Hub, and why it would be off by default, but I had a WIND Hotspot.

Here is how WIND works.
1. Wireless password is on inside of device (you remove back cover)
2. WIND is unlimited, they slow you down to nothing once you go over your limit.

So, why can't Rogers make password by default? In fact, password should be built in.
Also, Rogers should either ditch overage charges and reduce speed to uselessness OR cut off services once overage goes beyond what might be an expensive overage.
AppleGuy

AppleGuy to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by HiVolt:

How hard would it be for Rogers to have a non-default password on these hubs? If WIND can do it, why can't Rogers????

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5

Premium Member

said by AppleGuy:

How hard would it be for Rogers to have a non-default password on these hubs? If WIND can do it, why can't Rogers????

Because I and another person was completely ignored it seems;

Again, ITS UNIQUE PER DEVICE, and WPA ENABLED BY DEFAULT

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

So this lady disabled security?

Regardless, these companies can do more to protect their customers and themselves by limiting overages.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to sbrook

to sbrook
That's what I'm thinking. She or someone else using it may have disable it.

It's pretty common for most internet providers to make random default wifi passwords on these devices now. A poster who has one stated they do come with a password that can be/change removed but if it's rebooted to factory spec the random password comes back.

The thing about these articles is they don't seem well researched and are always slanted against the mega corporation. I hate mega corporations as much as the next guy, but it would be more level reporting if they researched and reported on what security measures rogers performs to prevent these instances from happening.

I still don't buy age as an excuse. Even my 80 year old grandfather has his wifi passworded. There seems to be two kinds of people (of the generations born before PC's took off in the 80s/90s). Those who struggle but are willing to learn how it works (they might not be super techsavvy but they get the basics down), and those who run around always saying their too old and don't want to spend the time to learn. For every 65 year old you find like the one this article you'll find another one who has adapted to technology and wouldn't have this problem. It's all about the willingness to learn. Even with my grandfather's it's always been night and day. One of them really tries to learn how it works and use the internet, and the other one couldn't give a crap about it...
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Bell hasn't handed out 2Wire modems for at least 2 years now. You get a Bell Connection Hub (Sagemcom F@ST 2864) for all DSL packages from Bell and those use WPA2 by default (and enabled by default with a password they give you).

And the wifi range on the Sagemcom is so shitty legitimate users have a hard time connecting.

Still, I disabled the wifi in mine and use an Asus router.