spc
Search similar:

uniqs
martyp7
join:2004-01-30
Vallejo, CA

martyp7

Slow wireless speeds

I am getting my 45 down when hard wired but only 20 when on wireless.

Is there anyway to speed things up?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by martyp7:

I am getting my 45 down when hard wired but only 20 when on wireless.

Is there anyway to speed things up?

Make sure your gateway is set to either channel 1,6, or 11(trying each of those three for the best one).

Also make sure your channel width is set to 20 MHz

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

brookeKrige

... and/or use inSSider or Stumbler programs to evaluate channel congestion.

Are your clients 802.11g only (vs n)?

In NVG589 wifi config page (you should be using WPA2 security of course), can temporarily change mode from B/G/N to N-only: Any clients that then cannot connect are probably the older/slower 802.11g.

Do you have perhaps a late model smart phone or tablet that's 802.11n, that can speed test via N?

There are also physical placement, orientation effects...

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by brookeKrige:

... and/or use inSSider or Stumbler programs to evaluate channel congestion.

I wouldn't rely on inSSIDer based on what I've noticed after watching it for months. The channels that have the lowest signal APs can also be the worst channel. The real way to tell is by manually trying 1,6, and 11 and seeing what of those three are best.
martyp7
Vallejo, CA

martyp7

Thanks I will try what you suggest
martyp7

martyp7

Still needs some work but seeing 35 down and 5.85 up

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by martyp7:

Still needs some work but seeing 35 down and 5.85 up

As brookeKrige had suggested, have you tried to place the gateway so the signal is the best in the location that you are using it? Even turning it can make a big difference.

atcotr
@wideopenwest.com

atcotr

Anon

Wireless speed is mostly a function of link quality. Using a clear channel, decreasing distance to an access point, and reducing obstructions matter more than buying an expensive wireless router. My recommendations are to use channel 1, 6, or 11. Never the ones in between. Test for yourself to see which one is fastest. Always use a 20MHz wide channel. Keep it on 802.11n only if you don't have any legacy 802.11g gear to support. Unfortunately, 802.11n in 2.4 GHz will probably not deliver 45 Mbps. At about 2 m "almost point blank" distance I once got 68 Mbps. But in more realistic situations it's 20-40 Mbps.

If you have 2.4 GHz cordless phones, replace them with DECT 6.0 phones (they run in 1.9 GHz, thus you will free up 2.4 GHz channel time for Wi-Fi). You will probably need to buy your own wireless router if you want 45 Mbps anywhere in your house. Two features that are necessary to consistently deliver 100 Mbps Ethernet like speed are dual-band capability (can run in 5 GHz band which is much less congested) and MIMO. Your laptop and gadgets also need 5 GHz and MIMO if they are to connect at such speeds. Your laptop's 802.11 radio can likely be swapped out with a faster one. My laptop gets 50-90 Mbps with its dual band 2x2 802.11n radio (connected to a 5 GHz access point that is also 802.11n and 2x2 MIMO).
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn to martyp7

to martyp7
So what are you doing over Wifi that requires such high Mbps. 20M will stream HD from all the sites just fine. You won't notice web pages loading slower etc... Using 20M. Are your channels set at 20 or 40 MHz ?
nitin00
join:2010-01-17
Stockton, CA

nitin00 to martyp7

to martyp7
If you want to max out your wireless speed you would definitely have to go 5Ghz band. Sadly the gateway is only 2.4, the other solution will be getting one of the netgear AC routers and plugging it in, they will automatically go in to access point mode and disabling the wifi on RG. Ofcourse you will need a 5Ghz client as well.

Whoever says expensive routers wont get you any faster speed are dead wrong, you need to get a good 5Ghz router and good ones are usually expensive because on some routers the 5ghz range just plain sucks. You have to have the right setup.

I have uverse tv and internet and if I connect to wifi signal on RG i get about 10 max and when I connect to my netgear router that is acting as an access point I always max out my internet. I am on FTTP connection and the highest I get is 21Mb even though I am signed up for 18, my connection is never below 21.

I have disabled the wifi on RG, its only G and it simply sucks. My netgear R6250 automatically went in to access point mode and reconfigured itself when it saw it was plugged behind another router. Uverse gateways simply are horrible. I literally get max speeds connecting to my AC router and I will never turn on the wireless on RG unless my router goes out and I need a replacement.
martyp7
Vallejo, CA

martyp7 to gapmn

to gapmn
Well daughter loves to stream netflix in the kitchen and other daughter youtube
martyp7

martyp7

Well really only have n stuff around and I have a access point for g stuff.

I just want to be able to use the speed I am paying for and have way more stuff on wifi then hard wired.
Sandpipers
join:2007-11-12
San Francisco, CA

Sandpipers to martyp7

to martyp7
Take nitin00's comments with a grain of salt. If his ATT devices are insufficient, its because of the ideosyncracies of his network/devices/AT&T's network..... Etc. I have the 18/2 package. I too get 21 download when wired with no other services in use. The only wired connection in my whole network is a TV next to the 589 RG (which I find to be an absolutely fine device.) As we speak, I have 2 TVs on HD(one wirelessly) and 5 wireless devices in use, including one daughter on Netflix. My current speed, wirelessly, is showing 15.6/1.82. All devices are working, and displaying flawlessly. Your mileage will vary with the ideosyncracies of your network but if you're already getting 35 down wirelessly, there's nothing you shouldn't be able to do, and spending time and money to boost it a few MBs will not change your viewing/using experience.
nitin00
join:2010-01-17
Stockton, CA

1 edit

nitin00

said by Sandpipers:

Take nitin00's comments with a grain of salt. If his ATT devices are insufficient, its because of the ideosyncracies of his network/devices/AT&T's network..... Etc. I have the 18/2 package. I too get 21 download when wired with no other services in use. The only wired connection in my whole network is a TV next to the 589 RG (which I find to be an absolutely fine device.) As we speak, I have 2 TVs on HD(one wirelessly) and 5 wireless devices in use, including one daughter on Netflix. My current speed, wirelessly, is showing 15.6/1.82. All devices are working, and displaying flawlessly. Your mileage will vary with the ideosyncracies of your network but if you're already getting 35 down wirelessly, there's nothing you shouldn't be able to do, and spending time and money to boost it a few MBs will not change your viewing/using experience.

Sure!! I have 1 show being recorded as of now and I am watching another hd channel, and my mom downstairs is also watching on a 60 inch led, and I still hit 21mb down on speedtest. May be because I have fiber to the prem. I never get below 21 while I have 3 hd streams going. Just doesn't happen. I am not saying things don't work when I connect to my 2wire 3800, all I am saying is wireless is pathetic on it and that's all. Ask any professional, if you want full speed over wifi and you wanna stop bitching get yourself on the 5ghz band. True it will depend on how many devices you have in the house where ATT router will just be fine. But I have way too many devices to throw them all on 2.4ghz on the 3800 and range is horrible on it. I get 5 bars with my netgear on 5ghz band and I get 2 in my room with the 2 wire.

I can pretty much guarantee if OP was to put a 5ghz router in to the RG and use it as access point and have a 5ghz client. He hits 45, no question!!!