All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Texas1216
join:2014-03-19
Paris, TX

Texas1216

After upgrade to 50/3 very poor internet?

I see many posts here about issues with speeds etc but I thought I might ask if anyone might shed some light on my issue. Years ago I got a issue resolved here by a SL rep I think her name was Cindy. So again after 5 to 6 weeks of patiently working with local techs to resolve my issue I still have the same problem. Ill try to explain since I am not the most internet savy person.

Back around the first of the year I got the 50/3 package when I was getting a Tivo Mini added to my home. I at the time had great service with my 30 down package but the sales person said it was some sort of special and would only add a $1.00 to my bill. So I was like great go for it. Then around the end of January I noticed when gaming I was having all sorts of issues. I blew it off as they were having a issue and would get it sorted out. February rolls in and I still had the issue and started calling. I have since had a tech at my home 5 times. The cable drop from the pole to my home was replaced, every splitter replaced, the cable all the way around and inside my home has been replaced, and last the modem was replaced with a Arris CM820A. Tonight I gave it a go for some gaming and found out it was still unacceptable. My biggest issue is the quality of the connection. Yes the speeds are everywhere from 0 to 50+ so they are a issue as well. But this thing is erratic as it gets. One second its fine then its junk and just as quick back to working fine.

What really has me irritated is the comments from the techs as the latest one politely mentioned that his boss said the only speed test they consider valid is theirs at »speedtest.suddenlink.net/ . That is nice if everyone on the planet was on their network. I have tested at several test sites and at different locations
»www.pingtest.net/
»testmy.net/
»www.speedguide.net/
»www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/
»www.speedtest.net/
when it goes bad. I get all kinds of poor results everywhere else. Even theirs shows really slow at times but then jumps to at or near 50 down. But according to the tech they are meaningless unless it is on their network. I do not understand how they expect people to use their internet if the only place it is good is on their network. I would gladly quietly go to another provider but as expected there is no other here.

Here are a few samples

I read in another post someone mention getting this and posting it.

9:50PM

continued to 11:35 PM

After talking to multiple SL reps and techs I find many different stories as to why my internet has a problem. Over sold their bandwidth, they are doing something with the nodes and haven't got to my side of town, its the line tech problem and we can only request they look into it, etc etc etc. I just want the truth if its not going to be fixed say so.

Just to be clear everyone at Suddenlink has been more than polite just as I have. But I see them getting fed up with me constantly calling and I at them for not fixing the issue. The fact the last tech even made mention his boss knows me from my service calls and you can tell from the comments he is running out of ideas. They have agreed to compensate my bill but when it comes time to collect I have my doubts on how I will be getting credit. I see their next move as being the SL speedtest says you have no issue.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

My advice, is to get your modems mac address, and your public IP, and send a message to SDL L3Tech See Profile

Explain your issues, direct him to this thread.

Keep your PM short and sweet.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I think its odd you are on a 16qam upstream channel, but thats just my opinion.

Texas1216
Paris, TX

Texas1216

Click for full size
Thanks gatorkram Ill try that.

Hey I think I see a issue on most of my PP tests I keep getting this hop with a whole lot of packet loss. The IP is 173.219.229.82 so I did a GeoIP search and it comes back as Host Name:173-219-229-82-link.sta.suddenlink.net in Kansas. So couldn't someone at SL get this one place checked out or maybe they already are I don't know but it seems some bells and whistles should be going off somewhere in Kansas with it consistently having packet loss.
Texas1216

Texas1216 to gatorkram

to gatorkram
It says - New members have to wait at least 8 hours before they can send an IM

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

You should be fine waiting out the 8 hours. By the time its morning, you should be good. As to the issue showing in PP, I don't think its significant, considering nothing shows up downstream.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

Gator, 16 qam is the doc 1 fall back. At our upload speeds this is perfectly fine and occasionally more desirable as it is more resilient if your line is having trouble

SDL L3Tech
join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to Texas1216

to Texas1216
said by Texas1216:

Hey I think I see a issue on most of my PP tests I keep getting this hop with a whole lot of packet loss. The IP is 173.219.229.82 so I did a GeoIP search and it comes back as Host Name:173-219-229-82-link.sta.suddenlink.net in Kansas.

That hop is not a problem. You'll notice that the packet-loss is not affecting any hop after it. Many routers are configured to limit the amount of low priority packets such as pings and traces. This limit affects traffic to that hop but not through it, as seen in your trace. If that hop was causing packet-loss through it, then all hops after it would show the same packet-loss.

Also, GeoIP is highly inaccurate. That hop is actually in Dallas.

If PingPlotter standard allows you to click File, save sample set, keep PP running before, during, and after you experience the problem. Then you can upload the sample set to a free file hosting site and PM me the link or attach it to this thread.

As Gatorkram mentioned, I will still need your cable modem's MAC address (on your cable modem) and your current public IP (»whatismyip.com).

Texas1216
Paris, TX

Texas1216

OH thank you so much for looking into this SDL L3Tech. Like I said I am not the most Internet savvy person. I have to learn and when things like this happen I do what I can. Thank you for clarifying the one hop not being a issue as well.

Now that you mention it I think I had heard that GeoIP is inaccurate before.

I have had PingPlotter running since right after 1AM on www.google.com. I will make sure to post back with that file late tonight for you to have.

I just IM you my MAC on the test Modem SL has me on and my IP from whatismyip.com

Again Thank you so very much.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to Texas1216

to Texas1216
The extreme latency in your PP traces usually indicates one of two things. Either the node's upstream is reaching capacity or the customer is utilizing off of their modem's upstream limit.

In this case, the node needs some attention which will be an easy fix but will have to be performed during the maintenance window. I do not have a time frame at this time but I'll let you know when I receive an update.

Texas1216
Paris, TX

Texas1216

I actually had one tech tell me that they were told in a weekly meeting that something was being done to the nodes to relieve some of these issues. He went on to say they had started on the opposite side of town and were working my way. He had no idea of when it would get to me.

I do not know what exactly this means."the customer is utilizing off of their modem's upstream limit" If you could elaborate I will make sure I am not doing what it is.

I have over 14 hrs of pingplotter running if you want it now but the time I usually see all the problems is anywhere from 5pm to 1am. Of course that is when I am usually home so it may be no different what you would already see.

Again I cant thank you enough for the help. Sincerely I appreciate it.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

said by Texas1216:

I do not know what exactly this means."the customer is utilizing off of their modem's upstream limit" If you could elaborate I will make sure I am not doing what it is.

For instance, say you're paying for 15x1.5 speeds. The 1.5 represents 1.5 mb of upstream bandwidth which is quite easy to reach. Many applications can utilize 1.5mb of bandwidth even without much thought to the user. WoW for instance uses a peer to peer function for updates which can easily eat up all of your upload.

Cloud backups, malware, and other applications can also eat up bandwidth.

I do not believe this is the case for your situation. However, I have helped many customers with this problem and it makes it seem like the ISP is at fault, but in this case it is not since we do not control the customer's network.

Texas1216
Paris, TX

1 recommendation

Texas1216

I don't know how much pull you have or who you spoke with but I just got a call from Suddenlink explaining that the same date you IM me about they would be working on my node to get me fixed.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

1 recommendation

moldypickle to Texas1216

Premium Member

to Texas1216
SDLtech totes the ban hammer around at corporate

Texas1216
Paris, TX

Texas1216

No wonder the guy called me and apologized for my internet issues.
Texas1216

Texas1216 to SDL L3Tech

to SDL L3Tech
Here is the PingPlotter File requested.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to moldypickle

to moldypickle
Lol, when I picture SDL L3Tech with a ban hammer it makes me think of the old Donkey Kong with Mario smashing his way up to the top of the "corporate" ladder.

Texas1216
Paris, TX

Texas1216

I have to ask this as it has been on my mind since your response about the problem you saw. Exactly how is it that a company ties up service men repeatedly about 5 times and on several occasions 2 would show up claiming they are swamped but yet you can diagnose the problem off of the same stuff I showed or explained to them except the pingplotter results from day one? Its like all they did was kept changing parts hoping something would fix the problem instead of finding the problem then fixing it. I have probably 200 feet of new cable new splitters a new modem and a new moca (sp) all installed for basically no reason. That will be quite expensive if every service call is handled this way.

I am not trying to sound like a know it all but I was a operations manager for a huge company for 15 years and I know if all those techs are doing the same type of "repairs" it is no wonder why rates are up and the employees are under stress from customers being upset. I could tell from the comments when they told me the line tech would have to fix it that their is a division between the departments. The techs that come to the homes are very nice and polite but shouldn't these guys and the line tech guys be working together to solve problems. Maybe they do but I have a pretty good sense for knowing when their is a link broke in the chain from my past job experience.

I know I do not know the actual way SL manages and trains and over the years it seems to have paid off at one point as your public image had gotten much better. It just seemed on my particular case many things have been mishandled or missed.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

It seems that now Suddenlink is trying to monetize all those wasted trips and wasted time and needlessly replaced equipment. I called tech support the other day, just to ask when the promised speed upgrade was actually going to take place. I have NO problem with my service. All signal levels and log files show that all is well. Yet when I selected "Technical Support" in the phone menu, then I INSTANTLY heard a message stating:

"We see that there is a problem with your service. We can dispatch a service technician, but if the problem is with the wiring inside your home then there will be a $49.99 charge. OR, you may sign up for blah-blah protection service for just $5 per month. Press 1 to dispatch a service technician or press 2 to sign up to blah-blah protection service".

Yeah, those were the ONLY options presented. I just said "Neither" and the system transferred me to a human. That outgoing message doesn't pass the smell test with me... VERY shady business practice.

Like you, when I WAS having service issues, Suddenlink INSISTED on sending service tech after service tech to my house to waste more hours of my life. After EVERY SINGLE VISIT the tech would close the service call with "No Problem Found". They're [expletive] useless. Since the previous call had been closed, then the call center folks would start over from scratch on the next call... I think that we would STILL be doing that dance if not for SDL3Tech. I sent him my info and he found a problem in my neighborhood within minutes. The problem was fixed the very next day. I think the main problem is that they're sending old-school, analog cable TV guys out to troubleshoot network problems and they just don't have a clue. "Meter says the signal is great. Have a nice day!" Their troubleshooting skills are exhausted at that point.
sauria
join:2002-04-23
Abilene, TX

sauria

AT&T LTE is now faster that Suddenlink top tier in Abilene. Maybe a wireless solution?

Texas1216
Paris, TX

Texas1216

Not an option here. Years ago I would get a cheap 1 or 2 month DSL plan for a work around till my cable was fixed. I tried this time and I can't find any DSL period. AT&T says they don't service here. Coming here was my last hope for gaming quality internet.
sauria
join:2002-04-23
Abilene, TX

sauria

Yes, I hope that google moves in. When I travel I realize how 2004 era we are.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
I believe the larger issue is that SL (and most ISP for that matter) higher anyone with a HS diploma as regular field techs. You literally don't need certs or anything more than basic training to be a service tech. I "believe" when you step up to the line/plant techs that you need qualifications.

But regular house techs, I've had some interesting ones out. Once I even had a temp worker come out and after talking to him he told me they were having troubles keeping techs and were forced to out source it. He also wound up leaving several 24'' auger bits and a pair of Kleins here, so I didn't mind, lol. Never bothered to check back and the local office didn't care since he was contracted.

Texas1216
Paris, TX

Texas1216 to SDL L3Tech

to SDL L3Tech
Today was suppose to be the big day. I have counted down the days hoping to have some great internet tonight.

Sad day I haven't heard a word from Suddenlink and nothing has changed here.

I have rebooted my modem, router, and PC. Supposedly cleaned everything with CCleaner and Mailwarebytes and no viruses acording to Microsoft SE.

I started trace with PP just now. I am already seeing high 100s and as high as 209 max latency to www.google.com .

Any other ideas?

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

Click for full size
said by Texas1216:

Sad day I haven't heard a word from Suddenlink and nothing has changed here.

I started trace with PP just now. I am already seeing high 100s and as high as 209 max latency to www.google.com .

The maintenance was indeed completed and as you can see in the graph above, the latency and severe packet-loss is gone. The Black box indicates my PP trace to your modem during peak-time of the 26th (before the maintenance). The Yellow is when the maintenance was completed. The Green covers the peak-time of the 27th which shows a significant difference (after the maintenance).

I run PP on my server to Google DNS (8.8.8.8) and other sites that I know take different paths out on the internet. My own pings to Google DNS increased by about 100ms last night but none of my other pings showed the same thing.

Please continue running PingPlotter but make sure you're running it to at least two unrelated destination IPs.

Texas1216
Paris, TX

Texas1216

Yeah it did show to do way better later after my post. lol I'll get back when I have some data. I had to restart my PC as my new headset drivers needed a restart. But it does look promising when I left this morning.
Texas1216

Texas1216 to SDL L3Tech

to SDL L3Tech
Had a great time gaming last night. Thanks it is much much much better. Just wish it didn't have to be dealt with like this. I really feel bad for those who dont know of this place as a alternative for support.
Texas1216

Texas1216

Click for full size
Last run of 48hrs
saved pp fil···.pp2.zip
142,526 bytes
day before change and day of change
saved pp fil···2.pp.zip
143,666 bytes
(saved pp file day before change and day of change continued 2.pp2.zip)
saved pp fil···1.pp.zip
9,015 bytes
(saved pp file day before change and day of change continued 1.pp2.zip)
Looks much better.

I included all the PP traces I had been running.

Now is there a way to get the speeds particularly the download to be steady. They fluctuate sometimes as low as the 20s and usually max just over 40. I know the old "as fast as" advertisement jargon but my 30 down package was a steady as a rock this is like being on 16ft boat in the middle of the ocean.