spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lora789

join:2014-03-14

How to encrypt shared folder on Win7 and assign different permission

My server is Windows 7, and clients of the LAN are Windows Vista and Windows 7. Now I need to avoid that some users of a client computer access to some shared folder in server. Some clients can access but can't modify, some can print but can't modify and some can only view. I know that the best way to achieve this is by Windows Server Operating system, but I can't get it so I need something based on free software. I think the solution may come from setting a password to that folders.

Is there a better solution?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
What's wrong with the solution you have?

What you've configured is your basic peer to peer environment. Basically if you create the same user names and passwords on the 'server' PC that you have your users using, you can assign those users permissions to the content they need.

If you have many people sharing the same data you can create less accounts and cache the credentials in the user accounts.

So let's say you have "accounting" data shared by five users, rather than create an account for Jim, Mike, Steve, etc., you create Accountants and share the folder / allow permissions to the folder for just those users (and of course system and you) and when you access \\win7server\accounting it will ask for the username and password so you'd use accountants with the correct password and check off the 'save' box.

You can manage the cached / saved credentials on the user's PCs with control userpasswords2

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to lora789
If you need to encrypt the data you can create local certs to import into user systems but I don't recommend making your configuration too difficult. If you're at the point where you're asking people for advice, I'd avoid encryption as it's possible that you could easily lock yourself out of your data.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
said by urbanriot:

I'd avoid encryption as it's possible that you could easily lock yourself out of your data.

+1

You need to use NTFS file and security permissions, depending on your version of Windows 7 (read NOT basic or home) you should be able to do this. Encryption will just cause you all kinds of headaches.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
FWIW, share permissions are probably easier than NTFS permissions for the novice.

My reason is that for files, you can have a different setting on every file, which might for some people be more prone to mistake (e.g., accidentally making one file readable). Share permission, by contrast, affect all network access.

But I agree with the idea of using OS-provided security.

lora789

join:2014-03-14
reply to lora789
Thank all of you, guys!
Urbanriot, I think you are right, encryption may not a good solution for person who is not good at computer and has short memory.
I'll try your suggestions, thanks again!