tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77

Re: Home Appraisal - How to Increase

I don't see how those things would matter as most of what they evaluate is based on the actual home. Number of rooms above ground, number of bathrooms, size of the home, type of roof, etc. From what I see, it's all pretty much straight numbers. No room for personal opinion. When I last had mine done I don't even think there was an area for landscaping to be included.

I will say that I learned that a home appraisal is much different then the market value of the home. I'd say the market value of my home is around $240k-$250k. The bank appraisal was $208k. Discussed this with a friend and he pointed out that the appraiser does not consider rooms below ground to be "bedrooms". As I understand it, market value considers a room a "bedroom" if it has a closet.

IMHO, market value considers the things that you mentioned (things that make the house look nice) but appraisers... less so.
cjski
The Wheel Weaves As The Wheel Will
Premium Member
join:2001-01-04
Sun City, CA

cjski

Premium Member

said by tcope:

When I last had mine done I don't even think there was an area for landscaping to be included.

I won't typically separate landscaping/hardscaping out from the overall condition of the property unless were talking about 'no' landscaping, i.e. new construction, versus fully landscaped/hardscaped. Or, if I'm dealing with very high quality homes where the landscaping is professionally installed to the tune of $100K+...

I will say that I learned that a home appraisal is much different then the market value of the home.

Incorrect. Here is the definition of market value included in most URAR appraisal reports: (bolding mine)

Definition of Market Value: The most probable price which a property should bring in a competitive and open market under all conditions requisite to a fair sale, the buyer and seller, each acting prudently, knowledgeably and assuming the price is not affected by undue stimulus. Implicit in this definition is the consummation of a sale as of a specified date and the passing of title from seller to buyer under conditions whereby: (1) buyer and seller are typically motivated; (2) both parties are well informed or well advised, and each acting in what he or she considers his or her own best interest; (3) a reasonable time is allowed for exposure in the open market; (4) payment is made in terms of cash in U.S. dollars or in terms of financial arrangements comparable thereto: and (5) the price represents the normal consideration for the property sold unaffected by special or creative financing or sales concessions granted by anyone associated with the sale.

Some appraisals are performed where the value sought is not 'Market Value', such as liquidation value, short sale value, etc., and those will have a modified definition of value included in the report.

Furthermore, the value opined by the appraiser is only applicable to the effective date of the appraisal. I've also told homeowners that the value I opine is not necessarily the value for which an agent may list the property for, or ultimately what the property may end up transferring for...it's a guess, and educated guess, but a guess none the less.

I'd say the market value of my home is around $240k-$250k. The bank appraisal was $208k. Discussed this with a friend and he pointed out that the appraiser does not consider rooms below ground to be "bedrooms".

Incorrect. A bedroom is a bedroom, but if it's located below grade level, it is addressed on a separate line of the report (BASEMENT & FINISHED ROOMS BELOW GRADE).

Also, a room requiring a closet to be considered a 'bedroom'...
...not always. A home built in the last ~50 years, I may lean towards calling it a den, or bonus, etc. But for homes built, say, 80-200 years ago, it wasn't uncommon for bedrooms not to have closets, as they may have utilized armoires to store clothes...

IMHO, market value considers the things that you mentioned (things that make the house look nice) but appraisers... less so.

What appraiser's consider 'Market Value' are all the things that contribute to 'Market Value'.