Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to 85281231

Premium Member

to 85281231

Re: Firemen collecting money

said by 85281231:

When you see Firemen out collecting donations they are NOT collecting to fund the fire-station, they are collecting for some charity like MDA Labor-day weekend.

That is not always the case. Especially in rural areas many times they are collecting to fund equipment purchases. Sometimes they are even raising money to fund such basic firefighting equipment as turnout gear etc. These men and women donate many hours for training and firefighting the least citizens can do is donate to help them provide the equipment they need.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by Msradell:

That is not always the case. Especially in rural areas many times they are collecting to fund equipment purchases. Sometimes they are even raising money to fund such basic firefighting equipment as turnout gear etc. These men and women donate many hours for training and firefighting the least citizens can do is donate to help them provide the equipment they need.

This.

As I mentioned above - it's not at all unusual for members of a department to do fundraising to get new or upgraded equipment...
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

As I mentioned above - it's not at all unusual for members of a department to do fundraising to get new or upgraded equipment...

In many areas the fundraising also involves rescue squads and EMT services.

These services are always in need of new equipment, training to meet ever-changing state requirements, etc.

-----

I have lived much of my life in places that have volunteer fire departments and rescue squads.

I try to contribute when I can---in my current town fundraising is mostly by mail---

Sometimes people want to tell the town board to deny money to fix the fire station or buy a new truck. That's nuts. The local people should be glad that the firefighters are volunteering---the least that the citizens can do is pay for the facilities!

Paid fire departments would cost far more....

-----

I used to live near Chesapeake, Virginia, at a time when that city had combined the job of police officer and firefighter. I think they gave up that experiment.