Search similar:

uniqs
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

2 edits

FirebirdTN

USG20 Dropping WAN

I have a USG20 that is intermittently dropping the WAN. It is connected to a probably 10 year old (at least) Netopia T1 router. I also have a similar setup in another location with the same old Netopia T1 router [but that location uses a USG50], and we don't have this problem there.

The good news is, a reboot brings it back up. Note-in order to bring it back up, only the USG needs rebooting, not the Netopia. The bad news is, this is a "mission critical" router, and is located three hours away drive time. Luckily I have a back door via a 3g aircard. When the issue does happen, when you look at the dashboard, its as if the WAN cable isn't even plugged in.

My question is, is this a model specific issue? Or is it potential hardware failure?

I also have two USG50s deployed in the field, a USG50 at home, and a USG200 at work, and have had NO issues like this with these models.

The USG20 really wasn't my choice, but my company wanted to save a buck instead of going with another 50.

Thanks,

-Alan
C4Xplosive
join:2002-02-21
Vancouver, WA

C4Xplosive

Just curious, but have you updated the firmware?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank to FirebirdTN

Premium Member

to FirebirdTN
Are you absolutely positive that it is the USG that is causing the problem?
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN

Firmware has not been updated yet-It is running fm v3.00(xx.4). I will be updating it when I can to see if it fixes it, BUT...that is the same firmware I had been using for many months on all my other USGs with no issues.

I only upgraded the fw on the rest of them once the current version came out and they fixed the broken BWM. I just haven't got around to this one yet, as there is no convenient time to do it, plus it means a six hour drive (and down time) if things do go south updating it remotely.

Hank-I am pretty sure its the USG. When it happens, only the USG needs rebooting to bring things back to life. Also, the Netopia-however old it is-does keep a log of the T1 circuit, and during these events there are no entries in the Netopia log, which suggests that no outages or power failures have occurred.

-EDIT for clarification- Just to add some detail, when I say its intermittently dropping the WAN, I mean it will run for three weeks, then drop the WAN. Reboot it may run for a month, then drop the WAN. Once or twice and I shrug it off as a fluke, but it has happened several times now, and seems to be happening more often. Also, this is a remote "unmanned" location. There are only a few computers/devices connected.

-Alan

Wolfgang
@cox.net

Wolfgang

Anon

I bought my USG 20 on 8 Mar 2014 after my old Linksys bit the dust after 6 years of faithful service. I am starting to have this problem as well. It went out last week and again last night and I confirmed it was the USG because when I took one of the computers & connected it up to the cable modem that provides the broadband, it came right up on the Internet. Unfortunately, reboots didn't fix the problem & even loading an earlier profile (I only changed settings when I first got it for security), it still didn't come up. I eventually got it working after having the USG powered down for over an hour (which would not be a good option for your mission critical setup). For the $150 that I paid for this thing, I figured it would run better. Right now, I miss my Linksys FEFSX41 more than ever.