uniqs
share rss forum feed

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

[DNS] odd DNS servers returned in DHCP lease

at a friends house. LInux router renewed the lease & received the following DNS servers:

domain s3woodstock.ga.atlanta.comcast.net
search s3woodstock.ga.atlanta.comcast.net
nameserver 162.150.8.16
nameserver 68.87.66.234

these servers are apparently returning the same address, 68.87.91.199, for all queries, which appears to be a Comcast login page.

any idea what's up?

ehren8879

join:2013-03-07
Easton, MD
does he need to pay his bill?

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
idk i'll ask.

EDIT no it's current

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20

2 edits
reply to train_wreck
Maybe he got walled in for possible virus like traffic, but that's the usual address for self-provisioning new modems not authorized yet.

Does the PC get the same DHCP issued IPs when bypassing the router and connecting to the modem direct?
--
I'll make it work.... hand me that BFR.

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by DrDrew:

Does the PC get the same DHCP issued IPs when bypassing the router and connecting to the modem direct?

can't test that, i'm remoting into it at the moment. the router is just a slimline PC, FWIW. i'll see if someone there can try that.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
Click for full size
Something's not right. see the target URL

cheeseman

@comcast.net
Does he have a DOCSIS 1.1 modem? Could have been pushed into a walled garden for that.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

these servers are apparently returning the same address, 68.87.91.199, for all queries, which appears to be a Comcast login page.

any idea what's up?

I don't know what is causing that symptom for your friend's connection, but that NT Userid login has been discussed in this forum recently: »[CustSvc] Strange Comcast login page that pops up

Possibly the link in the last post in that thread might provide some help when contacting Comcast support.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cheeseman
Click for full size
some logs
nope SB6121

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

Those log entries show that the modem was recently assigned to the walled garden (and the software download following the walled garden entry implies that it may be a new modem that had the wrong firmware). I suspect that the activation was not properly completed, and the link I referred to in my previous post might help getting that resolved.

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
weird, i installed a few months ago & called & had it provisioned then. Worked since then, until this thing happened today. the consensus from that link was that the modem in that scenario wasn't provisioned properly, but it's weird that this one worked for a while, & seemed to get provisioned normally when I called initially.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by train_wreck:

weird, i installed a few months ago & called & had it provisioned then. Worked since then, until this thing happened today. the consensus from that link was that the modem in that scenario wasn't provisioned properly, but it's weird that this one worked for a while, & seemed to get provisioned normally when I called initially.

I have run into cases where a modem that appeared to have been properly provisioned and activated would a short time later, suddenly act as if it were a new foreign modem that had just been connected to the network. Apparently Comcast's activation/provisioning process is not as straightforward as one would expect it to be (which kind of explains why the walled garden self activation sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

oh yeah just noticed that. wtf "SpoofLanding-VIP"??

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20
said by train_wreck:

said by tshirt:

oh yeah just noticed that. wtf "SpoofLanding-VIP"??

The DNS servers are forcing everything to the Comcast activation/message "Walled Garden".
--
I'll make it work.... hand me that BFR.

Marc05

join:2014-03-27
reply to train_wreck
I actually just came across the same problem. I recently upgraded my service, and shortly after I was being asked to activate my modem. The automated process wasn't working so I ended up calling Comcast. After some minutes, my account was activated. It now started to happen again and my guess is that the person at Comcast did not do things correctly. When I asked them what upload speeds I currently had, they said 50Mb/s. After assuring the person that this was not correct, they said they didn't know.

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
reply to train_wreck
Set it manually to what you want.

Marc05

join:2014-03-27
That's exactly what I did. I had set my router to use 8.8.8.8 and 75.75.75.75 as primary and secondary respectively, but there was an option for a third which was set to automatic. I changed the third one to OpenDNS and it was all working fine. I reverted the third to automatic and it hasn't picked up a third one yet.

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to davidc502
said by davidc502:

Set it manually to what you want.

i kinda did that already; the router there runs a local caching DNS server for the LAN that forwards to the Comcast DNS servers. It was just the addresses in the lease that were weird. It also ended up getting switched back about an hour later IIRC, so it seems like a transient glitch. The modem never needed re-provisioning or anything, and they said they didn't lose routable internet access, like I would think they would if the modem lost provisioning.

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
Is your caching DNS server running bind 9 or 10.1?

train_wreck

Antioch, TN