uniqs

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Rerecording to a high audio output

I would like to know if their software so I could take some mp3 recording and record them at a higher audio level. I have a usb thumb drive that I have mp3 music recorded on it. If I am listing to the radio or Sirius radio and change it over to the usb the sound get very low. When I change it over to the radio and forget about the sound level it will blast you out.
I tried using MP3gain but it just raises the loud level. I then will get clipping and distortion of the songs. Are their any way that could redo the songs with a higher audio level?
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011

Try loading them in to Audacity and use the "normalize" function on the audio. Of course you will have to load them one at a time and re-save them afterwords.
BoulderHill1
join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

BoulderHill1 to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
You could do as suggested with Audacity. You could also convert them to a wav file and use other available software to try to riase the volume.

However this is the problem with mp3 files in general. Anything you do to them to try and increase output or adjust frequency equalization will just end up degrading the quality by introducing more clipping, distortion, and other unwanted audio relics.

It would be best to go back to the source that the mp3 was made from and start over. you can then encode the mp3 at a better bit rate and hopefully also have some control over the audio levels. Just depends on what the source is.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
No. You can't increase the quality. The best you can hope for is to maintain the quality or you can reduce it. You can't increase it. This applies to audio and video. Most often, any processing will reduce quality. If you want higher quality files, you need a higher quality source.

mediaguy
Politically Incorrect
Premium Member
join:2014-01-22
Guitar Town
·T-Mobile
Netgear CM500
TP-Link Archer A7

1 edit

mediaguy to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
What you're hearing is predominantly the effects of "audio processing" used by all radio stations (Traditional, Online, and Satellite) to boost the loudness and punch of their programming. I've been in the radio biz the better part of my life and am so used to the 'processed' sound that I have a software processor I use just to listen to my own music collection. Normal recordings have a larger dynamic range and therefore the softer parts are lower in volume.

Lots of software available to fix this issue, some for real-time playback (processes while you're listening) and some for file correction, but - as other posters said - if you start with MP3 files, you WILL hear additional artifacts that are unmasked by the processing. The more expensive software packages can smooth over some of this, but those also are more complex to use. A good starting place is the Breakaway Audio Enhancer; you can download and try a free demo, and the purchase price is only $29.95.

»www.claessonedwards.com/ ··· mid=1089

The downside is it is a real-time processor, so to listen away from your PC you'll have to re-record the output and save the new files. This is the 'home version' of the processor I use, but I run CD audio files through it, and loop my audio card output back in digitally to record the processed sound to add to my phone or a flash-drive. Worth trying the free demo, and will give you some idea of how much you can improve those MP3's.

EDIT:
OOPS! Forgot to mention, it doesn't play well with Windows 8, but works great with 7 & earlier.
BoulderHill1
join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

BoulderHill1 to JimE

to JimE
I understood OP to ask if he could increase the volume of his mp3 recordings rather than the quality.

I believe he can increase the volume although the quality will suffer.

I agree he will not be able to increase the quality beyond what he has already.