spc
Search similar:

uniqs

marhil0
join:2008-10-21
Exton, PA

marhil0

Re: [DVR] All Things VMS Quantum TV

Rebooted my VMS box last night and the response time is much better now. Will have to see if it slows again after a few days. I had about 2 second delay changing channels and menus BEFORE rebooting last night. After reboot only a slight delay, a tad slower than the old 7232.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium Member
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA

2 edits

johnf2 to cornflakeguy

Premium Member

to cornflakeguy
said by cornflakeguy:

There is no tell-tale red light

It's on the lower right corner of the LED display, marked REC, I don't think its in color. (VMS1100 Installation & Operation Manual, page 5, #6; also on IPC1100 in the same place)

Of course I still don't have my boxes yet (in VHO8 outside of Philly) to 100% confirm that.

johnf2

rmw08
@205.255.224.x

rmw08 to wyatte47

Anon

to wyatte47
Is this available in Tampa, everytime I login to order I see the box saying Quantom TV then when I move my mouse to it it vanishes and gives me the option to order more boxes.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

If you search this thread, people have posted info on what they know about availability for different areas
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to cornflakeguy

to cornflakeguy
Its at the bottom lower right below the channel number/time.
Timothy28

Timothy28 to marhil0

to marhil0
I noticed this as well. I had to reboot it twice since i got it. Once due to mute getting stuck on and then a power outage. Since rebooting it is more responsive.
wyatte47
join:2008-03-02
Tampa, FL

wyatte47 to rmw08

to rmw08
Yes I'm in Tampa and ordered it last weekend. I received the new boxes and router two days ago.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to whsbuss

to whsbuss
I have a question for those that already have VMS.
Lets say I tune remote box to channel x.
Then I watch something that is recorded. It runs 10 mintues over the start time of the program on channel x.
When I finish watching the recorded show, can I then rewind to the beginning of the show on channel x?
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

In my one week experience with VMS, yes. In addition you may be able to go to other channels you have not watched on that box and rewind them, if that channel is being watched on another box in the house.

For example, my wife has been watching the non-stop flight 370 saga on CNN on one of our clients. I can be on another box, surf around all I want, and if i want to see the latest stuff on CNN all I need to do is switch to that channel and I can rewind pretty much as far back as I want, limited of course to the start of the show.

Ghost532
@myvzw.com

Ghost532 to wyatte47

Anon

to wyatte47
Called Verizon today and they confirmed that VMS is not in Tampa.
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76

said by Ghost532 :

Called Verizon today and they confirmed that VMS is not in Tampa.

Right now, Quantum TV is only available in select zip codes in Tampa Bay. In a week or so, it will launch to all of the Tampa VHO area.

Ghost532
@bhn.net

Ghost532

Anon

Nice. I'm very excite! Much cool.
matthewh16
join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA

matthewh16 to whsbuss

to whsbuss
I myself am also waiting for the new VMS/QTV down here in Middletown. Staggered Rollouts stink, though I understand why they do it. :P
bushleaguer
join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer to whsbuss

to whsbuss
I had issues with my ONT recently that required a technician to come out and I asked him if he was familiar with this. He said that he hadn't had any training on it so it won't be up in central NJ (VHO7) anytime soon.

That said, he also told me that he's heard a lot about it and that there are many bugs that they are trying to work out and thus, he said, I should consider myself lucky that I'm not an early adopter.

Make of that what you will, but given the fact that they can't pinpoint what is wrong with my multi-room DVR service after months of issues I would be hesitant to give their newest tech a whirl until they have some firmware updates under their belt.
drewnl
join:2014-03-31

drewnl to whsbuss

to whsbuss
I wonder which markets went live today? It's been pretty quiet.

LESTERLMO
@verizon.net

LESTERLMO

Anon

Install of VMS WEd am, in PA, Steel City. Will post my thoughts and experience soon.
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to bushleaguer

to bushleaguer
IMO he's making the bugs sound much worse then they are.
bushleaguer
join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer

said by Timothy28:

IMO he's making the bugs sound much worse then they are.

As I said, make of it what you will.....he's not working with the system hands-on so he was just relaying what he's been hearing about it. I do think that what he told me about being taught about new hardware well in advance of its arrival is probably accurate.

a1rodger
@myvzw.com

a1rodger

Anon

I got mine hooked up last night, Keller, TX. The only point that I haven't figured out, I have 2 VMS & 2 VMC. My shows I have set to record did transfer via the cloud to the new VMS. It was all set to record my 4 shows that night. It was great. But when I record a show from the kids room it records on VMS #2. I can't find a way to find and watch that recording on VMS #1 in my main room. Hoping that is coming soon.
xgman
join:2012-05-29

xgman to marhil0

to marhil0
I remember they had this problem with the old boxes a couple years ago and it turned out to be the stupid on screen interactive ads that they fixed with a software update, but it took months and months....
jedilord3
join:2014-01-09

jedilord3

Can the VMS box be used for a TV, or is it stand-alone and ALL TVs need the $10 boxes?

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

You can just have the VMS

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to jedilord3

MVM,

to jedilord3
The VMS is not stand alone. It's typically connected to one TV (same as a DVR).

That does not change the price structure though. Read the previous posts on that issue for clarification, but it's still VMS fee + total # of TVs (including the one hooked up to the VMS).
swope1221
join:2008-08-26
Newtown, PA

swope1221 to whsbuss

to whsbuss
Quick question, I tried looking back thru the thread, but there's lots of pages. If the VMS goes down (breaks or something) do the remote clients still work (i.e. able to tune to channels)? This is the only thing that might prevent me from doing this. I love the greater storage and ability to pause live tv everywhere, but if the VMS is down and the remote clients don't work that would be tricky.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by swope1221:

If the VMS goes down (breaks or something) do the remote clients still work

The IP boxes would revert to the 70+ IP channels that Verizon offers for mobile devices.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to whsbuss

Premium Member

to whsbuss
Just wanted to throw one more item out there. I just ordered a second IP box (in retrospect, I should have ordered it with my original order, thereby saving me the $20 drop-ship fee, but so be it). I hooked it up last night on a third TV, and one thing I noticed - the performance seemed to be better on the menus/guide than the other boxes. I don't know how much of that is reality, or how much is my own skewed perception of it. I'll have to play with it some more to be sure. The thing I noticed, though - the manufacturer of this new box is different than the other ones. My VMS and initial client are Motorola boxes... this second IP client is Arris. I don't know how much that matters. I'll play with it some more and see if my perception really is reality.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Arris bought Motorola, so the new name is now appearing on the boxes. Same box, new name.
drewnl
join:2014-03-31

drewnl to whsbuss

to whsbuss
Now I'm glad I have to wait. I want them to get rid of the old stock so I get an Arris labeled box. I hate having "first run" hardware.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl
Probably just my skewed perception. I'll play with it some more and see.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to drewnl

MVM

to drewnl
said by drewnl:

I want them to get rid of the old stock so I get an Arris labeled box. I hate having "first run" hardware.

It's unlikely that Arris has made any engineering changes to the box. The change is likely cosmetic only.