Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl

Re: [DVR] All Things VMS

said by matcarl:

Yeah, you have to remember to shut all boxes or some recordings may not happen.

I guess that's why they added a sleep timer to this thing. I noticed it under the system settings. You can set it to shut off after so many hours of inactivity.
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to whsbuss

to whsbuss
I'm very familiar with how this works. What you guys are describing is exactly how the U-verse boxes worked. Sometimes to record something i had to turn off a box or actually it would go to screensaver. I'm not sure if these new boxes have one like the old ones do where it says press menu to watch verizon fios.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by HenryFarpolo:

That was an issue with TIVO when the MINI first came out. The MINI was allocated a tuner from the host so in essence you lost one tuner full time. In a release few months ago they introduced dynamic tuner allocation which freed up the tuner allocated for the MINI if the MINI was not in use.

Looks like VMS and clients are set up like TIVO dynamic tuner allocation. Another thing to check, is to schedule six recordings at the same time. At the scheduled recording time, be watching on the client box. See if the system sends a message to the client box stating that there is a scheduling conflict and that the system needs the tuner for a scheduled recording.

If you get that message, it looks like Verizon has done a pretty good job of covering all the bases.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to whsbuss

to whsbuss
On the VMS itself, can you cycle through all six active tuners? Or are you limited to just the "Last" button on the remote, only flipping between the two most recent channels? On the Tivo Roamio, you can cycle through all six tuners - including what's in the buffers. (You cannot do that on the Tivo Minis however.) If you can cycle through all six tuners, how is it accomplished using the current remote? Thanks.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

I still can't believe that Verizon promotional video said you can record six shows with "no restrictions and no limitations." This setup sounds like it would not be good for people with many boxes if they are recording multiple shows at one time.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by matcarl:

I still can't believe that Verizon promotional video said you can record six shows with "no restrictions and no limitations." This setup sounds like it would not be good for people with many boxes if they are recording multiple shows at one time.

It is an issue if you have several client boxes and have people in the home who want to watch live TV on those boxes while the tuners are busy recording. They do have the option to watch recorded content on those boxes.

It would be no different if you only had the VMS box and were recording six shows. There have to be some "restrictions and limitations". Six tuners are six tuners period whether it is the VMS box only or client boxes with the host VMS.

Sixto
Premium Member
join:2005-09-16
Northeast

Sixto to whsbuss

Premium Member

to whsbuss
That's why I went with 3 Roamio's. One mostly for me with 6 tuners always free, one for the family, and a third that servers the Mini's. Thus never a tuner conflict in the house.

Here's my setup: »forums.solidsignal.com/s ··· rvations
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to bsangs

Premium Member

to bsangs
I haven't seen a way to do that, no. Would be a very nice feature. BTW, I realize now that I screwed up with my test of the recording capabilities. I repeated my test on the VMS, and when I went to record show number 6, I hit the same prompt that I got on the IP box. I realized then that I utterly misread the prompt. It basically said that because I was currently watching something live, and I wanted to use up all the tuners for recording, I could either stop one of the recordings, or watch something currently being recorded.

Thinking back on it, that's exactly the pop up I saw on the IP box when I was recording. It had to do with how I did the test. I just brought up the guide, scrolled to a section (away from the live channel that I was currently watching) and hit record on 6 separate shows currently playing. I guess when I saw the pop-up I misread what it said. On the VMS, when it gave me that prompt, I just selected one of the shows currently being recorded, and it had no issue recording 6 shows. I'm betting it was the same on the IP box.

That being said, I have to think that if one of the tuners is being used for live TV on another box, it takes that tuner away from recording.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

Maybe down the road we can watch our videos from the computer again?

It might be possible to do this now.

If the VMS is advertising itself on your network as a DLNA Media Renderer, you might be able to right-click on a video file, go to Play To, and select the VMS box.

I can do this now, for example, on my computer and play a video file from my computer to my XBox One. Try and see if it works. Note that it probably has to be an MPEG2 or MPEG4 video file... an MKV probably won't work.

Silver_2000
Premium Member
join:2005-12-12
Carrollton, TX

Silver_2000

Premium Member

I havent followed all the details of the VMS - But Ill bet a case of beer that the recordings are encrypted and unreadable except by the VMS or its IP boxes

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

4 edits

bohratom

said by Silver_2000:

But Ill bet a case of beer that the recordings are encrypted and unreadable except by the VMS or its IP boxes

They probably will follow the TIVO model which allows streaming to multimedia devices for live and recorded content. It would not surprise me if they also allow certain DRM recordings to be transfered to mobile devices like Tivo Stream provides. Of course with the VMS in it's infancy state it could be awhile till we see those features available.

Silver_2000
Premium Member
join:2005-12-12
Carrollton, TX

Silver_2000

Premium Member

that may be but you wont be dloading mpg files - it will be encrypted files to be played only by approved FIOS apps on approved devices
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to whsbuss

to whsbuss
If the streaming allows for live tv to be streamed it would be beneficial depending on if all channels can be streamed. I assume the streaming would use DLNA and not a tuner so say if all tuners are in use and you wanna watch something you could just stream it to your ipad or game system etc.
jr461
join:2006-12-21
Montvale, NJ

jr461 to JPL

to JPL
said by JPL:

That being said, I have to think that if one of the tuners is being used for live TV on another box, it takes that tuner away from recording.

This is my biggest concern. At any given time, we may have 1-3 TVs on live and several recordings simulatneously (anywhere from 2-4).

I did see, however, that a 2 VMS set up is possible. In this scenario, would all the boxes (the 2 VMS's and all the remote boxes) be able to see all the recordings and be able to set up recordings as well?

I wonder also if the VMS's would automatically switch between them when more than 6 tuners were being used, or does each remote box get assigned to a specific VMS?
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

It's very unfortunate that seemingly we cannot use the VMS along with the existing DVRs (7232) and STBs (7100) in the same environment.

With Directv's Genie setup you can choose to use either the Genie Minis or a regular DVR/STB and still have access to everything that is on the main Genie. You cannot pause live TV on anything but the Genie and Genie Mini, but you can access the playlist and most importantly, always have a dedicated tuner instead of having to share one with the Genie. I was hoping the VMS would work that way too.

PhreePhly
join:2001-10-24
Riverside, CA

PhreePhly to whsbuss

to whsbuss
General Question, as I am confused a bit regarding the prices of the VMS. I currently have 3 TVs, using 2 DVRs and a HD STB. My current bill has me paying $19.99 (MR-DVR), $16.99 (DVR) and $11.99 (HD-STB) for a total of $48.97.

The enhanced VMS would be $49.99 for the 3 box setup, right?, so a buck more, but an additional tuner, right?

I'm in VHO 03, so don't have the offer yet, and have been contemplating just going to a Media Server (Windows Media Center) setup using Ceton or Silicon Dust equipment and stop paying the ridiculous rental prices for the equipment.

Anyone using just the cableCards (yes, I know I have to rent those, but they are cheaper) and forgoing the STBs?
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

Yes it would be $49.99. I think it would be 2 more tuners though.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

4 edits

bohratom

Pricing from the other thread...

DVR TV Only (72xx, 2 tuners) $11/month
Multi-Room DVR (72xx, 2 tuners) $12/month
Enhanced DVR (VMS, 6 tuners) $22/month
Premium DVR (2 VMS, 12 tuners) $32/month

Additional Monthly Equipment Pricing (Must include DVR as 1 room)

1 room $11.99/mo
2 rooms $19.98/mo
3 rooms $27.99/mo
4 rooms $34.99/mo
5 rooms $41.99/mo
6 rooms $47.99/mo
7 rooms $53.99/mo
8 rooms $59.99/mo
9 rooms $65.99/mo
10 rooms $71.99/mo

Equipment pricing may vary as some VHO's are lower.
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to whsbuss

to whsbuss
Got my VMS today. Setup had a few issues. The first time i tried to run the VMS setup it said no connection but the second time it setup no problem. The master bedroom ip client i had to do twice too but now everything is up and running as it should. I've only had a chance to play around with the server itself. It's very fast. Not that big of a fan of the older looking IMG. Hopefully they'll get us an update that looks like 1.9.5 soon. The VMS specific settings i see are this front display, standby front display keypad, media server name, disconnect from media client, led brightness, auto power off, view connections and help. So you can disconnect the VMS itself from a specific media client and in view connections you can select a ip client to disconnect from VMS. I'm not sure what else i can possibly cover that hasn't already been covered by others who got it before me.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by Timothy28:

Got my VMS today

Sweet, look forward to your experience with it over the next week...
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

Me too. I'm just glad i'll be able to watch live tv in the room with the VMS. I had the DVR in my room so many evenings i was unable to watch tv in prime time. Now i can and also record all of our shows. One other thing i was shocked at just how small these boxes are especially the ip clients. The VMS is probably about 1/3 smaller then the old dvr. The ip clients however are significantly smaller. We are talking half the size maybe even 2/3 the size. Also, its very important to write down your series records. It did not download them from the cloud like its supposed to.
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76

said by Timothy28:

One other thing i was shocked at just how small these boxes are especially the ip clients. The VMS is probably about 1/3 smaller then the old dvr. The ip clients however are significantly smaller. We are talking half the size maybe even 2/3 the size.

The external power supply (AC adapter) eliminates one component that took up space in the earlier boxes. I wonder if the new boxes consume less power than the QIP 7232 and QIP 7100-2 units.

One question for users in Texas: Where did your new equipment ship from?

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

2 edits

bohratom

said by Betamax76:

The external power supply (AC adapter) eliminates one component that took up space in the earlier boxes.

The IP boxes could have a smaller footprint if no cable card is required as it's an IP only device like the AT&T U-Verse boxes are designed.
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to Betamax76

to Betamax76
Being that small i would assume its more energy efficient. I checked the tracking but it doesn't give origin destination. It just says United States then DFW airport when it was delivered.
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76

said by Timothy28:

I checked the tracking but it doesn't give origin destination. It just says United States then DFW airport when it was delivered.

Thanks. I would guess that they were shipped 2 day express (some air travel involved) from Horsham, PA.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to Timothy28

to Timothy28
Has anyone with the new VMS boxes know, or have already offloaded Recorded content to their Computers?

I ask this because I use the 7232's Firewire port to do this now. I find it very conveinent.

I do know that the new boxes do not have Firewire. This is why I am asking.

Or, is there another way of offloading content?

Thanks.

Also, IDK if this has been answered or done yet, but:

IF one is recording on all 6 Tuners, can you still turn on your DVR (VMS Server in this case, not the IP Client box) and watch DVR recorded material? The same way it works now with the 7232 boxes recording 2 shows at once.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Without firewire, you'll have to use a video capture card to encode programs from the VMS to your computer in real-time. There are some Component capture cards available to record in HD, but there will still be some loss in quality from the conversion.

Yes, you can watch a recording while 6 other recordings are in progress.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium Member
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA

johnf2 to Timothy28

Premium Member

to Timothy28
said by Timothy28:

its very important to write down your series records. It did not download them from the cloud like its supposed to

Thanks for the heads up about keeping a list of your series records.

When VZ gets to my zip code in the VHO8, Philadelphia area, I will be getting 2 VMS. I now have 2 MRDVR, 7232s.

It's important that before you disconnect the old MRDVR's that you export the series to the cloud and make sure your current MRDVRs have unique names before you upload the series to the cloud (from each if you have two+ MRDVR's). When you setup the VMS and you import series, you have to pick from which former DVR to import from by name, hence the unique names.

That may or may not have been you situation as to why series didn't import.
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to Betamax76

to Betamax76
Most likely. I placed the order mid afternoon Thursday. Got the email they shipped Friday afternoon and arrive today.
Timothy28

Timothy28 to webcobbler

to webcobbler
I don't know about offloading recordings never tried that. I would assume if all 6 are in use you can still watch a recording. I don't see why that would change.