Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

whsbuss

join:2007-08-10
Norristown, PA

2 edits

[Quantum] All Things VMS Quantum TV

As others have suggested, I've started this thread so we can follow all things VMS.

Tell us about your install, operation, likes, dislikes, etc.

Timothy28

join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Re: [DVR] All Things VMS

I ordered mine today. So i'll be able to give impressions of it in a few days. I'm hoping it comes overnight but i'm doubting it.

celticpride

@verizon.net

do you have to pay for a vms box? if so how much to get the box,how much a month to use 1 vms and 1 IP box? my contract is up , will they give me a deal if i reup for 2 years?I currently use tivo premiere boxes but i dont want to pay another $1300.00 to upgrade to tivo roamio pro and mini. but if they do the earlier deal recieved by me for $899.00 from tivo i might do that.

Timothy28

Lewisville, TX

For the enhanced vms setup you would pay $22 for the vms. The client box is $10 per. So the setup you'd have would be $39.99. The premium which gives you 12 tuners is $32. So that would be $49.99. I don't know if they'll give you a deal but i don't see why they wouldn't.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit
reply to whsbuss

Keep in mind the VMS is only available in the Texas and Pennsylvania VHO's atm and not everyone in those states can even order it.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to whsbuss

I know I posted in the other thread, but figured I'd include my experience here to. I ordered mine last week and got it on Monday. Overall impressions:

- Installation was extremely easy. I've had boxes that self-activated before, but these were the cleanest I've seen at it.

- The boxes are small - the IP box is tiny. And the DVR is extremely quiet.

Now the pros:
- The DVR is extremely responsive. Faster than any other DVR I've ever used. It's absolutely instantaneous on the VMS. And it's pretty quick on the IP box too (very slight lag).

- Along with that the streaming is seamless. There's no sense that you're actually on a separate box when you're on the IP box. And the responsiveness with the feeds are quick and crisp on the IP box.

- The PQ is better. I've already posted that I haven't seen any evidence of the 'strobe effect' that has plagued the 7xxx DVRs. I've only had the boxes for a few days, but I haven't seen it once. What's more (and I've been loathe to post this until now, because I wasn't sure how much was just my perception, and how much was reality) I swear the picture looks better. I see less evidence of pixilation, although I don't know why that would be. I figured the pixilation would be caused just by compression, but maybe there's enhanced processing built into the boxes. I don't know. All I know is that the picture looks better.

- 6 tuners on the VMS.

- 1 TB of internal storage (although I really think they should have gone for 2).

- The live buffers are now available on the remote TVs (again, part of that seamlessness).

Now the cons:

- The biggest by far - the guide feels 'rough'. It feels unfinished. Like they slapped together an IMG for the box just to get it out the door. The colors don't look exactly right.

- Along with that there is definite sluggishness with some of the main functions of the boxes. Adding channels to the favorites lists is excruciatingly slow, e.g. Again, I think this is due to the roughness of the guide. It's sluggish on the VMS and worse on the IP box.

- With that (and to counter what I wrote in the other thread) there are bugs I've seen. They're minor, but it feels like I'm beta testing the IMG all over again.

I know in time those issues will be fixed.

- Not all of the features have been turned on yet. No wireless... no streaming to external clients... no ability for external storage... yet. It's all coming, but it's not there yet.

Overall, a very nice set up. But if you have no compelling reason to upgrade, and you're happy with your current set up, then I would wait.

Timothy28

Lewisville, TX
reply to bohratom

Exactly, i was surprised to be one of the very few first to be able to get it. For once i am lucky.

Timothy28

Lewisville, TX
reply to JPL

Interesting that the picture seems to be better with the new boxes. The picture is already great but if it gets better with the new ones I'm excited. I can do without the wireless, streaming and external storage features for now. My main thing is i need more tuners for recordings. One HMDVR just isn't cutting it for us with 4 people who have very different tastes in shows. The live buffers on the remote TVs is also another big pro for me. Had that feature with U-Verse and have missed it since coming back to FIOS.

One thing i am curious about with the streaming when they enable it. I wonder if that'll take a tuner to stream to whatever device you prefer.

webcobbler

join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ
kudos:2

I would not be at all surprised that the the VMS and Client boxes have a better picture than the 7232 and those equivalent boxes.

IMO, ruffly speaking, the new VMS boxes are 3-4 years newer than the 7232 and 7100 p2 boxes. Not to mention the older silver 7100 and 6xxx boxes.

They have newer components and such, that can decrypt and manage the TV signal better. Also, they have 1 GB of Flash, while the 7xxx boxes have 512MB at most. Who knows what else.

I am sure you can see where I am coming from.

Timothy28

Lewisville, TX

Good point, better processor, better decoder etc is bound to help.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit
reply to Timothy28

said by Timothy28:

The live buffers on the remote TVs is also another big pro for me.

That is something I have missed for many years when I had Directv with TIVO. In fact, once VMS is available in VHO7, it might be the main reason I upgrade.

Timothy28

Lewisville, TX

It's definitely a useful feature.

Timothy28

Lewisville, TX
reply to whsbuss

I have just a quick question for those who already have it. When you ordered it after it was processed and you checked your my verizon, when did it say it would be ready for activation? Mine says March 30th, but i have to assume i'll receive it and be able to activate it before then.

webcobbler

join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ
kudos:2
reply to bohratom

You. and me both. I call it the "Sneezing Factor." IF someone does something that makes you miss a line in a show, you can't go back to replay it. Now you can

Timothy28

Lewisville, TX

Haha, that's a good one.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
reply to whsbuss

Here is another con. You loser 2 tuners. Think of if this way. I think your only allowed 4 client IP per vms server. So that's 5 rooms for 6 tuners. Those clients use a tuner to even watch live tv not just recorded tv. With the traditional setup you get 3 dvrs for 6 tuners and 2 7100s for a total of 8 tuners for 5 rooms.

So with vms, if your recording lets say 4 shows only 2 clients can watch live tv.

Betamax76

join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA
reply to whsbuss

Given that the VMS has an internal 6 way splitter (loss of 11 db) to accommodate 6 tuners, what is the minimum signal strength for this device? I would GUESS at least +1 dBmV. The 2 tuner DVRs could probably get by with a minimum of -6 dBmV.

dfwguy

join:2013-10-24

I have no specific information as to the design of the VMS, but in pretty much every other multi-tuner device in existence, there is some sort of amplification to compensate for splitter loss. No one is dumb enough to manufacture a box that can't operate down to the 256QAM standard minimum of -12dBmV.

Betamax76

Canonsburg, PA

1 edit

said by dfwguy:

I have no specific information as to the design of the VMS, but in pretty much every other multi-tuner device in existence, there is some sort of amplification to compensate for splitter loss.

They always recommend placing house amps as close to the signal source (point-of-entry) as possible so I wonder if the S/N ratio suffers with internal amplification at the server. With FiOS, it really shouldn't be a problem since the ONT outputs between +11 and +14 dBmV.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
reply to JPL

said by JPL:

- The PQ is better. I've already posted that I haven't seen any evidence of the 'strobe effect' that has plagued the 7xxx DVRs. I've only had the boxes for a few days, but I haven't seen it once. What's more (and I've been loathe to post this until now, because I wasn't sure how much was just my perception, and how much was reality) I swear the picture looks better. I see less evidence of pixilation, although I don't know why that would be. I figured the pixilation would be caused just by compression, but maybe there's enhanced processing built into the boxes. I don't know. All I know is that the picture looks better.

I saw two people post that they think the picture is not as sharp, more softer. Who knows.

Betamax76

Canonsburg, PA

said by matcarl:

I saw two people post that they think the picture is not as sharp, more softer. Who knows.

Maybe they should make the Video Sharpness Slider Switch apply to HD channels as well. For the previous DVR models, it only controlled SD sharpness.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

said by Betamax76:

said by matcarl:

Maybe they should make the Video Sharpness Slider Switch apply to HD channels as well. For the previous DVR models, it only controlled SD sharpness.

You mean the VMS lets you control SD & HD sharpness?

whsbuss

Norristown, PA
reply to bohratom

said by bohratom:

Keep in mind the VMS is only available in the Texas and Pennsylvania VHO's atm and not everyone in those states can even order it.

Yes I know that. I'm in VH08 (PA) and its not yet available in my zip code. Hope it will soon!

JPL
Premium
Downingtown, PA
reply to matcarl

Let me give more info on this. I guess it's partly a matter of preference, and partly perception. I think the PQ looks better, but not necessarily 'sharper'. Where I really see the improvement is on my older 32" LCD. It's just a 60Hz model, and was prone to pixilation on fast pans. As far as I can see, that effect is all but gone. Again, I don't know why that would be. The improved PQ is really noticeable on that TV. On my main TV (50" plasma)... not so much. It looks slightly better on that TV, but still better, in my opinion. And even though the plasma seemed less prone to that pixilation on fast scans, it would still get that break-up on some feeds. Again, that break-up seems to have been eliminated (or damn close to it).

I've been loathe to post this aspect of it, because: a) I wasn't sure how much was real and how much was just my view of things; b) I wanted to see if that improvement with the pixilation was just a coincidence (I happen to be watching feeds less prone to it). The more I watch, though, the more convinced I am that the effect is all but gone (at least on the channels I watch).

What's more some feeds just look richer. I always thought that Justified looked pretty damn good, e.g. But the improvement in PQ is really noticeable on that show. At least to me.

BTW, one channel that used to give me that pixilation, alot, especially on my LCD is Food Network. I've been flipping on Food Network alot lately, especially on my LCD, just to see if it really has improved. I think that it has.

jr461

join:2006-12-21
Montvale, NJ
reply to nyrrule27

said by nyrrule27:

Here is another con. You loser 2 tuners. Think of if this way. I think your only allowed 4 client IP per vms server. So that's 5 rooms for 6 tuners. Those clients use a tuner to even watch live tv not just recorded tv. With the traditional setup you get 3 dvrs for 6 tuners and 2 7100s for a total of 8 tuners for 5 rooms.

So with vms, if your recording lets say 4 shows only 2 clients can watch live tv.

This is my main apprehension as well, although I see there is a setup with 2 VMS's. In that setup, I would have 3 remote boxes.

Right now I have 4 DVRs (den and 3 BRs) and 1 plain HD box. This solves the problem of eliminating recording conflicts while allowing transport features on all TVs (where needed). All boxes see all recordings and recordings can be set up to any DVR from any box.

I'm all for getting the latest and greatest, however, would switching to the VMS system improve my set up and, if so, how?

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
kudos:1
reply to whsbuss

I currently have 4 STBs (1 DVR and 3 HD). I think the single VMS w/ 3 remotes will work for me.
Couple of questions:
1) How do I juggle between remotes and recordings? Do the remotes time out after a time freeing up tuners for recording? Does one have precedence over the other?
2) If I have no tuners available for a remote, will it revert to the non VMS mode (ie can watch the 70+ channels?

JPL
Premium
Downingtown, PA

I want to test this out, actually. What happens if I'm recording 6 things at once, and I want to watch something on the IP box? I'm guessing that it's going to be no different than what you have today on the DVR when you want to watch something live but both tuners are currently recording something, asking you if you want to cancel one of the recordings. But I don't know.

I also don't know if it'll automatically kick over to the non-VMS mode at that point. I'll test it out and let you know.

whsbuss

Norristown, PA

said by JPL:

I want to test this out, actually. What happens if I'm recording 6 things at once, and I want to watch something on the IP box? I'm guessing that it's going to be no different than what you have today on the DVR when you want to watch something live but both tuners are currently recording something, asking you if you want to cancel one of the recordings. But I don't know.

I also don't know if it'll automatically kick over to the non-VMS mode at that point. I'll test it out and let you know.

Yes I'm interested in this as well.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
reply to JPL

Yes. Exactly. You either have to watch a recorded show or cancel something from recording. The ip boxes don't have a tuner built in.

JPL
Premium
Downingtown, PA

The question is, though - will the IP boxes fail over to IP mode? Meaning will they automatically fail over to where they're getting feeds directly from the head end? That's the question. I'm guessing they won't. I'm guessing it'll prompt you to cancel a recording. Then again, it may prompt you to see if you would like to get the IP feed.