spc
uniqs
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to JPL

to JPL

Re: [DVR] All Things VMS

Interesting that the picture seems to be better with the new boxes. The picture is already great but if it gets better with the new ones I'm excited. I can do without the wireless, streaming and external storage features for now. My main thing is i need more tuners for recordings. One HMDVR just isn't cutting it for us with 4 people who have very different tastes in shows. The live buffers on the remote TVs is also another big pro for me. Had that feature with U-Verse and have missed it since coming back to FIOS.

One thing i am curious about with the streaming when they enable it. I wonder if that'll take a tuner to stream to whatever device you prefer.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

I would not be at all surprised that the the VMS and Client boxes have a better picture than the 7232 and those equivalent boxes.

IMO, ruffly speaking, the new VMS boxes are 3-4 years newer than the 7232 and 7100 p2 boxes. Not to mention the older silver 7100 and 6xxx boxes.

They have newer components and such, that can decrypt and manage the TV signal better. Also, they have 1 GB of Flash, while the 7xxx boxes have 512MB at most. Who knows what else.

I am sure you can see where I am coming from.
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

Good point, better processor, better decoder etc is bound to help.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom to Timothy28

to Timothy28
said by Timothy28:

The live buffers on the remote TVs is also another big pro for me.

That is something I have missed for many years when I had Directv with TIVO. In fact, once VMS is available in VHO7, it might be the main reason I upgrade.
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

It's definitely a useful feature.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to bohratom

to bohratom
You. and me both. I call it the "Sneezing Factor." IF someone does something that makes you miss a line in a show, you can't go back to replay it. Now you can
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

Haha, that's a good one.