All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Porch
join:2005-06-19

Porch to givemesam

to givemesam

Re: 1 IP, Lots of devices (200+) - lets brainstorm

Cisco/Mikrotik all have their place and I have all of them working out in the field. However, my big systems are x86. An old PIII box filled with NICs and running Slackware as the main firewall at one school. We have about 60 desktop computers, 40+ network devices, along with over 100 wireless users going though it in any given day. It's been running flawless for the last 10 years. Even my Cisco gear needs a reboot more often.

Well, we did have that lighting strike that made it through the UPS and fried the motherboard on it. But I had an extra computer in the shed I swapped the nics and HDD into and it was back into operation. Still a PIII.

prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky

said by Porch:

An old PIII box filled with NICs and running Slackware as the main firewall at one school. We have about 60 desktop computers, 40+ network devices, along with over 100 wireless users going though it in any given day. It's been running flawless for the last 10 years. Even my Cisco gear needs a reboot more often.

I have an old P3 866 running pfsense. I took it down because a dsl and cable provider both came into the town and there was just no market share left.... but I use that same setup in multiple locations on some older dell gx110 hardware. I had one with 478 days of uptime. The only restarts they need are for software.