spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cellphoneguy
@wind.ca

cellphoneguy

Anon

[Wireless] wind complaints

I have been a wind customer since January 2010. I moved from Hamilton Ontario to Vancouver BC I brought my virgin mobile number to wind without any problems whatsoever. I have heard everybodys complaints about wind. But I haven't had any issues with wind myself. I recommend dealing with a warranty center or corporate store over a dealer as all the problems that people I know personally had have been with dealer stores . Yes wind's signal is weaker than that of mobile companies that have been around for 3 to 5 times then wind.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

good to know.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to cellphoneguy

Premium Member

to cellphoneguy
Yes , the data is slow, but for nearly 1/3 the price of Robellus, I'll live with that.

damir
CANADA

damir

said by elwoodblues:

Yes , the data is slow, but for nearly 1/3 the price of Robellus, I'll live with that.

thats what my wife says, she is more then happy with her $30/mo plan!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

And now I'm going to get a stipend at work to use my own phone (who cares, it's all unlimited) and I'll actually profit from it.

cellphoneguy
@wind.ca

cellphoneguy to damir

Anon

to damir
I was with Rogers first then Fido , back before Rogers bought fido. And fido had issues with signal back then. Virgin I was with for over year and their signal was exactly the same as wind but they had better range as you didn't need to be in the greater Vancouver or Toronto area but virgin was far less reliable then telus and yeh been with them as both clearnet and telus several years apart and their signal was fantastic that being said my bills went from 200 down to 40. So do I regret getting rid of my landline in 2007 and making the move over to wind. Not for a moment.

damir
CANADA

damir

I have (i think) good plan with Rogers as well.

Unlimited Canada (talk) - Unlimited World Wide (text) (any time) - call display, voice mail, not sure what else, 1GB data, for $55

cellphoneguy
@wind.ca

cellphoneguy to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
This is for Elwood blues depending on whether or not you travel outside a wind zone for work best advice if you do look at chatter for talk and text as their network will get signal within the province is cheap .

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to damir

Premium Member

to damir
said by damir:

Unlimited Canada (talk) - Unlimited World Wide (text) (any time) - call display, voice mail, not sure what else, 1GB data, for $55

I prefer mine... 300min daytime, unl evenings/weekends starting 5pm, unl txt (domestic), 6gb data for $60 tax incl. Data is more important to me than yap time, yet i still have more than enough, i dont yap that much during the day when I'm at work, and evening/weekends are free. I dont text/call long distance to care about canadawide stuff.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to cellphoneguy

Premium Member

to cellphoneguy
I technically could,, my Nexus 4 is unlocked. i leave the "home zone" a fair bit, and no matter what the tab, it's still cheaper then what Robellus wants.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

I technically could,, my Nexus 4 is unlocked. i leave the "home zone" a fair bit, and no matter what the tab, it's still cheaper then what Robellus wants.

Anything except data. $1/MB is prohibitively expensive even if you just open google maps or something of that sort.

damir
CANADA

damir to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by damir:

I prefer mine... 300min daytime, unl evenings/weekends starting 5pm, unl txt (domestic), 6gb data for $60 tax incl. Data is more important to me than yap time, yet i still have more than enough, i dont yap that much during the day when I'm at work, and evening/weekends are free. I dont text/call long distance to care about canadawide stuff.

well, i don't use much data, only for e-mail (work purposes) and 1gb is plenty for me, so, i really love this plan.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Hopefully that will change , if and when, the CRTC stops bending over to Robellus.

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity
join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON

DigitalXeron to cellphoneguy

to cellphoneguy
I know several people who use WIND.

Coverage is only one facet of many when it comes to cell services. I find that WIND makes up for its potential coverage issues (which the issues are minimal in my observations) in customer service, plain billing and customer service.

Too, as it stands WIND already had an upward battle when they entered Canada with Bell/Telus/Rogers being all-out against them and trying to utilize "foreign ownership" regulations against them. Since then I wager there's still issues even though they've entered the Canadian market successfully such as the cell service incumbents making it difficult for them to expand their markets effectively.

All things considered: They're small, but their quality outweighs their quantity in contrast to the traditional incumbents where they overstretch their resources and try to use minimal money as possible.

cellphoneguy
@wind.ca

cellphoneguy

Anon

I prefer to use prepaid cellphone device always have. That being said in the early days it was 2 to3 times as much as having a paid monthly account. When wind came along they did away with old way of thinking and their customer service was awesome. In the 4 years I have been with wind month amount went from 45 +35 for data down to 40 including data . Big difference from what the others services are changing. I started streaming music added a ten dollars addon so that my data speed wouldn't get throttled. I never exceed the ten gigs and living in Vancouver my reception is pretty good.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

I've been happy with Wind for almost 3 years in London. Every now and again I get told that by someone they won't get it because a friend says it was crappy. Never actually met someone in London who has it and is unhappy. But it is probably luck of the draw as their signal is probably not as comprehensive as other providers. ie If you live a weak spot and watch TV downstairs I could see the potential for frustration.
GoRaptors
join:2011-07-22
London, ON

GoRaptors

Nope, I'm in London as well have had Wind for at least 2+ years, it's been totally awesome!
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino to graniterock

to graniterock
said by graniterock:

... Every now and again I get told that by someone they won't get it because a friend says it was crappy.

Amazing how many "friends" are told by "friends". Makes me wonder if this "friend" even exists.

Well ...

Have been using a Wind hotspot for 3 weeks, and have been very happy with the results ad charges. I can even use it in my basement, which is a black hole for all 3 "big boys". Even upstairs, the big boys aren't the greatest because of the locations of their towers. I can drop 3 bars of signal because of the "E" coatings on my windows.

My thoughts: Wind may not be for everyone. BUT ... before one summarily dismisses them, look and see if their coverage maps correspond to YOUR patterns. THEN decide.

Just for comparison's sake: a relative of mine is on a Robber's PAYG plan. Her use is an embarrassingly low pittance, and she's really happy it's ~ $10-$20 for a month. If I was to duplicate her usage pattern, I'd be damned hard pressed to hit $10.
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

said by vintagewino:

Amazing how many "friends" are told by "friends". Makes me wonder if this "friend" even exists.

I wonder if they exist or if it is just outdated info from while they were still building towers in London. I do know people who have tried the WIND trial period and returned so it's a fairly low risk option for people who have cold feet.
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino

Remember back in 2009, the headaches Wind got in October & November from the big boys for "not being Canadian" before they got their licensing validated by IC in December? That was just so they couldn't take advantage of the Christmas season properly.

Now, I would venture a guess the "friend" is not only working on extremely outdated information, but gloating over the fact that Wind doesn't cover areas in the absolute middle of nowhere. It appears they have done quite well to get their act together, in spite of the "running interference". It was late 2012 (?), when they got down past Hamilton to Niagara.
»www.windmobile.ca/networ ··· coverage
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

If small towns on the outskirt London could get coverage like the Niagara region does I know 3 people that would sign up today.

Coverage mapper has a handy map too including tower locations. The data does rely on someone to drive a few times down a road when a new tower goes up but it does seem to do the trick.

»www.coveragemapper.com/w ··· dmap.php

cellphoneguy
@wind.ca

cellphoneguy

Anon

LoL my buddy Ray who lives in Toronto went to wind about Wind about two years ago but he did have some signal issues. But most of his issues with wind were customer service related. We spoke in person about it at great lengths when I visited him last April. I did experience some dropped signal in the downtown core . But out in Vancouver where I live the signal seems stronger and improves with each year. I know several people on wind including my parents who made the switch about 3years ago and have noticed alot of improvement in the last 3 years in Hamilton where they live. Thier are always people who will have issues. I myself won't deal with bell having had customer service issues un the past. I considered going to chatR knowing how strong thier coverage and signal strength are better but wind has just been to good to me . So as long as they are around I be staying with wind.
Vomio
join:2008-04-01

1 edit

Vomio to cellphoneguy

to cellphoneguy
I'm in London, Ont. and did the $30 plan with my Google sourced Nexus 5 in December and have been happy with the service, no complaints, it is as advertised. The data is a little slow sometimes but what the heck I don't have to worry about consumption too much, I can get my email, text, surf, watch netflix, I'm a happy camper.

I have to agree with graniterock that things would be better if there was peripheral small community coverage, but I imagine that will come as they fill in the corridors over time, much like Rogers/Cantel and Bell had to do decades ago.

My only real contact with Wind has been dealing with the store at Wellington and Baseline in London and that has been very positive. I ended up duplicating my set-up for my wife last Thursday with one of the "red" Nexus 5 phones and thus far she's been very happy too.

The only roaming I have done has been on the highway with Rogers and outside the reach of Windsor in Amherstburg on T-Mobile. If I was in Amherstburg more often I would probably spring for the $15 a month US package.

Speaking of the $15 US package I hear that it is quite popular in Sarnia where Wind has no coverage(yet?), I think that says a lot about the situation in Canada.
GoRaptors
London, ON

GoRaptors

You get 4G/LTE with that phone in London with Wind Vomio? I know 1 of my friends had a new Samsung with them that had it. I was wondering cos my phone is only 3G if the internet was faster or not? Thanks!
Vomio
join:2008-04-01

Vomio

On the phone I have the Preferred network type set to LTE.
Looking at the Phone Status, under Mobile Network Type it says HSPA.
FWIW I'm located in the core area.

No idea if it is actually faster than 3G or not.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to GoRaptors

Premium Member

to GoRaptors
said by GoRaptors:

You get 4G/LTE with that phone in London with Wind Vomio? I know 1 of my friends had a new Samsung with them that had it. I was wondering cos my phone is only 3G if the internet was faster or not? Thanks!

WIND does not have LTE capabilities. They are HSPA+. They were suppose to have bid in the 700mHz auction and would have used that spectrum to build out LTE however, that didn't happen.
GoRaptors
London, ON

GoRaptors

Ah right. Thanks for the clarification!
GoRaptors

GoRaptors to Vomio

to Vomio
I hope it is!

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to cellphoneguy

Premium Member

to cellphoneguy
No complaints. I have friends that won't sign with WIND because they heard it was bad. I'm fine if they want to pay $65/month for a package that gives them nothing. I just get annoyed though when they complain they're broke, or that they have to watch their usage. These guys are city dwellers, btw, and are worried about WIND's poor coverage outside the city. Why would that matter? YOU NEVER LEAVE THE CITY!!

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

said by AppleGuy:

No complaints. I have friends that won't sign with WIND because they heard it was bad. I'm fine if they want to pay $65/month for a package that gives them nothing. I just get annoyed though when they complain they're broke, or that they have to watch their usage. These guys are city dwellers, btw, and are worried about WIND's poor coverage outside the city. Why would that matter? YOU NEVER LEAVE THE CITY!!

This is the problem right here. I'll admit this was also one of my concerns. But when I took a step back, I realized I hadn't left the city in over a year. So let's break that down:

My bill with Rogers was $83 (All together)
My bill with WIND is $44 (All together)

The difference is $39. If we take $39 and multiply that by 12, we get $468.

For anyone paying attention, that's $468/year extra you pay Rogers "just in case" you leave the city. Let's say you leave the city 4 times a year (Random number I pulled out of my arse). You just paid $117 each time you left the city for that coverage. Ridiculous. That's not even taking into account that if you're going to another WIND zone, nothing changes for you besides the ride there.

Edit: I realize for those who travel regularly (and to non-WIND zones), this wouldn't apply or make sense. But for someone who barely ever leaves the city, it absolutely does.