uniqs

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

planet

Now drones are being used to expose bank details and passwords

Seems concerning.

»www.dailymail.co.uk/scie ··· -FI.html

"Now drones are being used to expose bank details and passwords: Hackers manage to access 150 phones an hour through Wi-Fi"

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay

MVM

Another advantage of our new technical society...NOT. Once a Pandora's box has opened, there's no knowing how far whatever is in it will spread. Nothing is safe today, as long as it is computerized, and what isn't. But this is not new. If the so called good guys have it for so called good use, the bad guys are going to have it too with obvious consequences.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

Maybe there will be a resurgence in the art of letter writing and the use of snail mail.
No more TLA's.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by vaxvms:

Maybe there will be a resurgence in the art of letter writing and the use of snail mail.
No more TLA's.

Except... the art of intercepting and covertly opening mail has been around far, far longer than digital interception, dating back at least to the ancient days of Italian city-states and their intrigues involving the Vatican of old. Those guys could even fake a wax seal that had been broken. Truly, there is nothing new under the sun.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok to planet

Premium Member

to planet
This has nothing to do drones and everything to do with smartphone vulnerabilities. I guess the title "windowless van steals your banking info" isn't sexy enough.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to planet

Premium Member

to planet
Well, good thing I keep the WiFi turned off on my phone, then....

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

Except... the art of intercepting and covertly opening mail has been around far, far longer than digital interception...

Perhaps, but pre-digital it wasn't quickly and easily done to ALL mail sent for delivery. The NSA and friends have been perusing almost ALL bits sent and received for quite a while and there's nothing obvious for Joe Average User to even suspect they've been violated.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by vaxvms:

said by Blackbird:

Except... the art of intercepting and covertly opening mail has been around far, far longer than digital interception...

Perhaps, but pre-digital it wasn't quickly and easily done to ALL mail sent for delivery. The NSA and friends have been perusing almost ALL bits sent and received for quite a while and there's nothing obvious for Joe Average User to even suspect they've been violated.

So Joe Average might be well-advised to assume all his electronic messaging is being at least stored somewhere for 'future reference,' for when a spook applies the appropriate kind of filtering to the giant database. In days of old, wise letter writers applied subtle, robust encryption to their letters if they didn't want prying eyes to discern certain content; modern messagers might consider something along the same lines. Timeless rule: if its privacy really matters, encrypt it.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

Most Joe Average User are not technoweenies. They believe that anything they get in email or read on the web has to be true. To these folks encryption has something to do with a stone chamber or vault used as a burial place

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
Fort Wayne, IN

3 recommendations

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by vaxvms:

Most Joe Average User are not technoweenies. They believe that anything they get in email or read on the web has to be true. To these folks encryption has something to do with a stone chamber or vault used as a burial place

In which case, they and everything about them become fodder for the databases and analysts... end of the matter. The end, that is, until a terrible mis-concatenation of filter inputs pops their name up on an analyst's screen as intimately associated with the views of certain "persons of interest"... in which case, they may be left to struggle in proving their innocence against 'unstated' accusations sealed by a FISA 'court'. But we all know that kind of thing would never happen in the good ol' US of A...
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

This has nothing to do drones and everything to do with smartphone vulnerabilities. I guess the title "windowless van steals your banking info" isn't sexy enough.

Exactly my thought. When I read this story I instantly realized that they only used drones to make the headline more appealing. A guy walking around with a backpack filled with the same hardware could collect the same information.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by HarryH3:

said by Krisnatharok:

Exactly my thought. When I read this story I instantly realized that they only used drones to make the headline more appealing. A guy walking around with a backpack filled with the same hardware could collect the same information.

And should be scarier, because the FAA isn't going to get involved with regulating hacker backpacks.

Maybe they will push a fright line of giving cops Xray goggles to see you naked find the hacker backpacks!

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to HarryH3

MVM

to HarryH3
The only advantage of a drone is I can now MITM some rich dude on the 108th floor and forget the peasants on the street. Not that we couldn't do it before, but now we can focus on them via proximity.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love wireless signals of any type?

Blake