spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DIY Guy

@baylor.edu

[HDTV] Helical Antenna for HDTV

Hello everyone, I am trying to create a helical antenna that will pick up my local TV channels. I was wondering if this is possible as I have not found a single instance of anyone creating a helical antenna just for this purpose. If you guys could point my in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

P.S. I know there are other antennas out there that are better at receiving TV stations but i specifically want to create a helical antenna for reception.

OldCableGuy2

@communications.net
Why?

Helical antennas are not designed to be broadband. They would be very poor for the extremely wide band nature of the ATSC broadcast band.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to DIY Guy
said by DIY Guy :

I was wondering if this is possible

Contact this guy.

»www.prism.gatech.edu/~wn17/Web%2···%202.htm

OldCableGuy2

@communications.net
That's not helical, that's just shielding a traditional antenna.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
said by OldCableGuy2 :

That's not helical, that's just shielding a traditional antenna.

Details, details! With the right paint job, it would make a great helix, if not exactly a helical antenna.

OldCableGuy2

@communications.net
I think you are a few elements short of a full phased array. What are you talkig about with paint jobs? You realize paint doesn't change the polarization of an antenna, right?

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
said by OldCableGuy2 :

You realize paint doesn't change the polarization of an antenna, right?

See Definition #3:
»www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uncle

... but seriously, the OP could easily get, or make, various helical coils and experiment. By checking the signal strength of various arrangements I am guessing he would see your original point.

The average home center has coils of copper in many sizes and lengths, or for something fancier, these guys would be happy to take some money:
»www.helical-coil.com/Helical_Coi···als.html
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell

1 recommendation

reply to DIY Guy
Why would you want a helical antenna since all TV broadcast in the US is horizontal polarized?

Now if you are experimenting or trying to come up with a new antenna design, or trying to fit an antenna into a limited space then I understand. Still, if helical would be a better design choice you'd think at least one major antenna manufacturer would have offered one at some point, yet the yagi and bowtie make up the majority of what's in the catalogs.
Expand your moderator at work