share rss forum feed

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

Yard Light Base Problem

Click for full size
Yard light base broke
I have a yard light. The base separated. I don't think any metal broke. I am suspecting that these pieces were held together with some kind of adhesive.

Is this construction something that somebody recognizes?

My current thought is to wait for warmer weather. Separate the piece with the set screw from the pole. Epoxy that piece to the base. Wait maybe 24 hours. Put the vertical pole back vertical and tighten the set screw.

Comments or ideas?

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
That'd be my plan of attack, too. I'd just carefully sand/wire brush the mating surfaces to remove any old adhesive. , too, would wait for warmer days to do it. You might have to find a way to check that wires/connections weren't yanked apart when the post toppled over.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
I was the one who toppled it, but it took very little force. There is an outlet box midway up the pole, and I might have been unplugging-- but not forcefully.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
reply to StillLearn
Looks like a job for JB Weld.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric

3 recommendations

reply to StillLearn
DUCT TAPE!

Seriously, I'd see about drilling and tapping some holes in the base, then screwing down that intermediate part to that before resetting the post. I don't think an adhesive alone would support it sufficiently, even during a decent windy day.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
I think an adhesive would hold it. I wonder if a urethane construction adhesive would be better for this application than epoxy.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to StillLearn
I wonder if he would even be better off using some type of silicone sealant to reconnect the 2 pieces. They would stay somewhat flexible and wouldn't harden completely so they may give more resilience in the long run.
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
reply to StillLearn
I'd use liquid nails heavy duty on the top part where the wires are then clear silicone caulk on the sides then let the base dry for a few days before reconnecting the pole.
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to StillLearn
I think your nipple broke.

They may have used a short threaded rod (aka nipple) in combination with a washer and nut on either end to hold those parts together which could have rusted away.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Thane_Bitter:

I think your nipple broke.

They may have used a short threaded rod (aka nipple) in combination with a washer and nut on either end to hold those parts together which could have rusted away.

That's what I thought also looking at the picture. A threaded nipple to hold them together. I don't think any kind of adhesive will do it.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to StillLearn
What's the post made of? Fiberglas, plastic, metal???

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
said by Pacrat:

What's the post made of? Fiberglas, plastic, metal???

I think it is painted aluminum.

jeb9876

join:2010-03-28
Morrisville, PA
The lamp base looks like die cast zinc.

The lamp pole could be zinc or aluminum.

Unavailable

@tds.net
I'd go with a common 2-part epoxy. Tons of grip. Cheap as chips. And if that failed, I'd use the juice to power a water feature, think the Sands, Las Vegas...

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

1 recommendation

reply to StillLearn
How about a length of steel pipe that fits in the circumference of the hole, with a slot cut in it so the wires can be placed in the middle? Seems like it would be stronger than adhesive alone.