rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

[Need Info] Error window on trying to run a backup

I am trying to get a backup for my son-laws XP computer and this window comes up even on an very old copy of Paragon backup.

Why and what can I safely do to get a backup. With XP not getting anymore updates we would like a backup just in case.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
That error looks like Paragon is trying install their own version of some shadow copy software that hasn't been anointed by Microsoft.

See if you can install the free version of Macrium Reflect for doing backups: »www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx I have their Pro version running on some XP boxes with no problems.
Expand your moderator at work

rfhar
Premium
Buicktown,Mi
reply to HarryH3

Re: [Need Info] Error window on trying to run a backup

Thanks for the idea but the free version of Reflect does the same thing.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
reply to rfhar
It's not uncommon for hardware that doesn't actually exist, and it's not like it's a 64-bit os where you must have signed drivers.

I have xp pro installed to a virtual machine, and when I install the vm guest services to provide hardware support through the host os you get prompts like that.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to rfhar
Let me guess, this is on a HOME EDITION system? That's the only difference I can think of, as I've never seen that message when installing Reflect on XP Professional. Or perhaps MS monkeyed around with some stuff in their latest XP updates, just to make things look scary in the hope that it would sell some more Win 8 licenses?

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18

1 edit
reply to rfhar
You should not be seeing that message (digital signing message) and it may indicate an issue with the Catroot2 folder.

Try renaming the Catroot2 folder which should rebuild the volume shadow copy index.

To rename the Catroot2 folder follow only Steps 1 and 2 under Method 4 in the following article:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Restart the computer afterwards.

rfhar
Premium
Buicktown,Mi
Thanks, I will do so but it may be awhile as he has gone back to work and I do not know what his schedule is yet. I will post back the results.

Chuts

join:2006-03-01
Brandon, FL
Install the free Macrium Reflect on another computer, then make the bootable disc that does the Backup and Recovery. Use that bootable disc to backup the son in laws XP computer.

rfhar
Premium
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to rfhar
auggy;

I was able to get together with Dave today and do the steps you recommended and now we have a Macrium Reflect backup and were able to get one of the two updates that he has not been able to download. We are happy. The other update that will not download and has been a long time problem. He now has something to fall back on if he has a problem now that XP is out of support.

Thanks very much.
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18
You're welcome.

Thanks for getting back to us with how it turned out.