uniqs
share rss forum feed

paradigmfl

join:2005-07-16
Reviews:
·ooma
·Bright House

[CFL] CFL- Paper Bill Statement Charge. $1.00

I just noticed this in the pamphlet I received labeled "2014 channels & Pricing guide". Within it appears:

"Paper Bill Statement Charge. $1.00"

So it looks like we might be getting nickled and dimed even more? I'm surprised the franchise authorities are allowing this. It's essentially charging people extra for not having internet access. Then again those guys haven't been doing their jobs in a long time. It's just $1 but it really seems like it's getting a little ridiculous with all these extra fees for things.

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

You're more than welcome to swap to paperless billing. Downloading a PDF is easy...

telijah
Premium
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to paradigmfl
said by paradigmfl:

I just noticed this in the pamphlet I received labeled "2014 channels & Pricing guide". Within it appears:

So it looks like we might be getting nickled and dimed even more? I'm surprised the franchise authorities are allowing this. It's essentially charging people extra for not having internet access. Then again those guys haven't been doing their jobs in a long time. It's just $1 but it really seems like it's getting a little ridiculous with all these extra fees for things.

This is nothing new, many large companies are moving to paper billing charges.

Telerisks

@bhn.net
Of all the Bills I get mailed to me; none have ever charged me for getting a paper Bill. How many years have we all gotten Bills mailed to us .....for me it is in excess of 30 years; never have I seen a charge for the paper bill. I have seen a discount to go on Paperless.

I agree; this is totally ridiculous and just like the Modem Charge; that we all accepted at $1.50 when it started, look where it is now. Why wouldn't Billing costs be Included as it has always been said as a Cost of doing business...

If BHN wants bills paid then they need to mail paper bills to those of us who want the paper...and NOT charge us for paying their bill. I do hope this is some sort of error. It used to be when we purchased a Bundle all was included.....now everything is al la cart except for all those channels we pay for and never...watch.

I am going to be looking closely at my bills going forward, my March bill does not have this charge on it.

Nichol and Dime is right on......it kind of reminds me of the joke I heard once about Spirit Airlines, the rumor was they were going to charge a passenger to use the rest Room.......

What will they come up with next? Last I looked, BHN as well as other Cable companies were making record Profits......

telijah
Premium
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

1 recommendation

What is the exact reason for "wanting" a paper bill? That just seems ridiculous. Go paperless, and print it out yourself to save a buck. Such an uproar over this is insane.

Telerisks

@bhn.net
I believe you missed the point; this is a stretch...when does it stop. Will they next charge us if we go into a BHN Office to pay a Bill? Don't think it won't happen, I never thought they would charge us for a paper bill.

bgarson2008

join:2010-09-29
Windermere, FL

1 recommendation

reply to paradigmfl
Really, missing the point! This is so simple, stop getting paper bills and you’ll save a dollar. Bright house is like any other company, they are trying to cut costs. Printing a bill and mailing it cost them money and they are passing that onto you. It is 2014 and most people know how to get their bills online. Do yourself and everyone else on this forum a favor and learn how to use the internet to view and download your statements. It’s just absolutely ridiculous that you’re making an issue of this!

Telerisks

@bhn.net
And you'll use this same approach to older people who don't have internet and live on Fixed Budgets....and there are many of our older citizens who will be impacted. Do us all a favor and start thinking and caring of others....

bgarson2008

join:2010-09-29
Windermere, FL
reply to paradigmfl
I can appreciate your approach, however, mailing out a paper statement still costs a company extra money. If a dollar fee is a breaking point for someone perhaps cable television isn't their best financial decision. This is just about running a business witch cannot just be done on “Caring" alone.

weaseled386

Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to paradigmfl
I have elderly neighbors. When their bills are due (they group them so they only pay twice a month) they walk over to my house, and ask if they can use my computer. This is a carry over from the previous owner of my house. They've done it, for convenience, for years. How many people know absolutely no one with internet? My dad has also paid bills online for a few of his friends for years. Times change... I cannot name a single person that I know that doesn't have access (directly or via a friend) to the internet.....

paradigmfl

Reviews:
·ooma
·Bright House
reply to paradigmfl
I'm not even sure if they really are charging that at this point. I just saw it in the disclosure and thought I'd post this so people knew and it could be discussed.

I've stated what I think of it. I think a good point was brought up. Just because it's $1 now doesn't mean it will be that a year from now (like the modem fee). In my opinion it shouldn't be legal to charge for a paper statement when you have been granted a local monopoly on cable. It's the cost of doing business and one BHN has been absorbing for decades.

Despite the rather pro-cable company crowd we tend to get here the issue has generated considerable controversy elsewhere:

»www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fees-fo···.1152647

»www.thestar.com/business/persona···man.html

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/01···882.html

Here on this forum there was a 3 page discussion after another company tried a $2 a month fee:

»New Paper Invoice Fee $2.26

It will be interesting to see if local media picks it up assuming it will really be charged.

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to paradigmfl
I don't get paper bills but I don't agree with this fee at all. I too am sick and tired of companies nickel and diming the customer for every single thing. Sending a paper bill is part of doing business. Instead of charging a $1.00 fee for sending a paper bill, give a discount for going paperless. The difference in the two from a consumer relations standpoint is much better. Overall I like Brighthouse, but I am tired of companies charging for everything they possibly can, particularly in areas where there are only two providers and they know they can get away with it.

Telerisks

@bhn.net
Thank Goodness; I thought it was just me and paradigmfl that were the only ones that objected to Price increases....from a Biller that has been increasing its Bills far more than Inflation.....again; the Modem fee being the prime example.

The only regret I have is, I wish I had understood the original Thread that the Poster hadn't seen the charge on his Bill; it was in the pricing...and that might have been me not reading the original Post clearly. So has it just recently been added to the BHN Price list as advance Notice BHN plans to charge this Fee? Or, could it be fee that has been in the price List forever? Or, its the fee they charge if you ask for an replacement Bill? I will be the 1st to admit maybe there are "Ifs" here but none the less a Fee I would not be pleased with.....my Bill is already getting quite long with all the add'l "Fees" charged.....

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:153
reply to paradigmfl
said by paradigmfl:

I'm not even sure if they really are charging that at this point. I just saw it in the disclosure and thought I'd post this so people knew and it could be discussed.

I've stated what I think of it. I think a good point was brought up. Just because it's $1 now doesn't mean it will be that a year from now (like the modem fee). In my opinion it shouldn't be legal to charge for a paper statement when you have been granted a local monopoly on cable. It's the cost of doing business and one BHN has been absorbing for decades.

Despite the rather pro-cable company crowd we tend to get here the issue has generated considerable controversy elsewhere:

»www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fees-fo···.1152647

»www.thestar.com/business/persona···man.html

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/01···882.html

Here on this forum there was a 3 page discussion after another company tried a $2 a month fee:

»New Paper Invoice Fee $2.26

It will be interesting to see if local media picks it up assuming it will really be charged.

Oh stop with the local monoply nonsense Paradigmfl. We do not have a monopoly in any market we serve and you know it and that includes yours.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Telerisks
said by Telerisks :

Thank Goodness; I thought it was just me and paradigmfl that were the only ones that objected to Price increases....from a Biller that has been increasing its Bills far more than Inflation.....again; the Modem fee being the prime example.

The only regret I have is, I wish I had understood the original Thread that the Poster hadn't seen the charge on his Bill; it was in the pricing...and that might have been me not reading the original Post clearly. So has it just recently been added to the BHN Price list as advance Notice BHN plans to charge this Fee? Or, could it be fee that has been in the price List forever? Or, its the fee they charge if you ask for an replacement Bill? I will be the 1st to admit maybe there are "Ifs" here but none the less a Fee I would not be pleased with.....my Bill is already getting quite long with all the add'l "Fees" charged.....

You do have choices. You may opt for online statements only and never pay the fee. Those who prefer paper statements may continue to get them however they will pay the $1.00 fee to cover the costs to produce them and postage.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Birmingham, AL
reply to paradigmfl
Seems like asking you for money would be included in the base fee. Just tell them they're free to not ask you for money if it costs them too much!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to telijah
said by telijah:

said by paradigmfl:

This is nothing new, many large companies are moving to paper billing charges.

Yep....
--

Expand your moderator at work

bighorn1

join:2004-06-19
Bakersfield, CA
reply to bgarson2008

Re: [CFL] CFL- Paper Bill Statement Charge. $1.00

said by bgarson2008:

I can appreciate your approach, however, mailing out a paper statement still costs a company extra money. If a dollar fee is a breaking point for someone perhaps cable television isn't their best financial decision. This is just about running a business witch cannot just be done on “Caring" alone.

Don't be naive. Do you really think all those years they were running charity and provide you extras at their cost?

Costs of paper billing were always there and they were always calculated into the cost of service.

That $1 extra is just an extra money grab. period.

If anything, BHN should give $1 discount for those who go paperless.

You're not paying extra $0.25 for receipt when buying groceries, do you?

paradigmfl

Reviews:
·ooma
·Bright House
said by bighorn1:

said by bgarson2008:

Don't be naive. Do you really think all those years they were running charity and provide you extras at their cost?

Costs of paper billing were always there and they were always calculated into the cost of service.

That $1 extra is just an extra money grab. period.

If anything, BHN should give $1 discount for those who go paperless.

You're not paying extra $0.25 for receipt when buying groceries, do you?

Agreed. A $1 DISCOUNT is the fairest way to do things. It's been a cost of doing business for decades. With the way they are doing it it looks like another "because we can!" move by BHN.

Also I noticed it says High Speed Standard is now $54.00. I thought it was $52.00 before so unless I missed the last increase it looks like that may be going up as well?

Telerisks

@bhn.net
And I am told that the "average" Industry costs for supplying Internet to residents, no matter the speed, is about $10.00 per Household. Now we will hear you need to add the costs of Installation, costs of Service tech if needed, etc. That is what we heard as to Cable costs (TV)....so there are duplicate charges for each Service?

I do hope BHN intends to notify all their customer that this Billing fee will be charged on their Bill...BY MAIL...and how to avoid it is to go paperless. This charge should not just get entered on the Bill for Customers to Maybe" find.

Is there an effective date for this to start in Tampa area? Now the test will be how quickly this fee might increase. If today BHN has done their Due Diligence and established the expense of the Paper Billing is 1.00....and it goes to $1.50...$2.00...it should make all of us wonder why the increases..... Lets face it, we got our Modems many years with no specific Fee on our Bills (might have been an included hidden fee) and once BHN started to charge that Fee by itself it didn't take long for it to increase. Did the price of Modems go up that face....just in the last year that caused that Modem fee increase...I think not since Hardware has been coming down in price.......so why the quickness to increase the Modem fee.....I sure we know the rest of this story.

On this subject; Consumer Union has started an Online Petition to Disallow the Comcast\TWC Merger. Those who feel "enough is enough"....should search for and sign this Petition. They told us the Airlines mergers were good for pricing....how has that worked out?

huggybear

@bhn.net
$1 statement fee
$2 digital adapter fee
$4 modem fee

pretty soon we will have a "you turned on your cable box today" $2.50 fee.

just when you thought it couldn't get any more ridiculous it just gets better and better. you know damn well they will keep increasing the fees yearly as well. "you got a phone call today" $2 fee. hahahaha

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert
The issue that most people have with this is that you feel as if you are just being nickel and dimed to death. It seems everything is an additional fee on top of the service fee you are paying. I realize $1.00 isn't much, but perhaps Brighthouse could stop sending me marketing materials on the home security/automation feature monthly and pass that savings on to those who want paper statements

weaseled386

Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to paradigmfl
said by paradigmfl:

It's been a cost of doing business for decades.

Times have changed. In fact, they continue to change. Why, exactly, do you need a paper bill? What does the paper bill do that the PDF doesn't?

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
Times are changing? You're right. Costs are going up each and every year yet the USA is ranked 31st in broadband speed tests. The problem we have in this country is greed, and lots of it. Large corporations will nickel and dime their customers until they can't anymore, either due to government regulation OR competition.

The shakeup that T-Mobile has caused in the cell phone industry is a perfect example. Verizon/AT&T have been suddenly able to provide all sorts of discounts and reasonable plans now that another provider is starting to shake things up. I'd love to see that with a TV/Internet provider.

bighorn1

Bakersfield, CA
reply to weaseled386
said by weaseled386:

Why, exactly, do you need a paper bill? What does the paper bill do that the PDF doesn't?

If you can't think of a reason, then you're not thinking at all.

weaseled386

Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
said by bighorn1:

said by weaseled386:

Why, exactly, do you need a paper bill? What does the paper bill do that the PDF doesn't?

If you can't think of a reason, then you're not thinking at all.

No, I have it covered. It is simple.... I store the PDF. If I ever need it I print a page. I've been doing this for years, and the only thing I've ever needed to reprint is a few Best Buy receipts (damn disappearing ink).

said by gigahurtz:

Times are changing? You're right. Costs are going up each and every year yet the USA is ranked 31st in broadband speed tests. The problem we have in this country is greed, and lots of it. Large corporations will nickel and dime their customers until they can't anymore, either due to government regulation OR competition.

The shakeup that T-Mobile has caused in the cell phone industry is a perfect example. Verizon/AT&T have been suddenly able to provide all sorts of discounts and reasonable plans now that another provider is starting to shake things up. I'd love to see that with a TV/Internet provider.

I may work with AT&T, but get zero discounts. Believe me... I know how much bills are going up. Now.... what exactly does your opinion have to do with paper/less billing? At least you have the option to pay the $1, or not pay it....

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
It's really quite simple: many companies (particularly those in the position to get away with it) are adding all sorts of "fees" to further pad their pockets on things that should be included in the base fee of what you are paying. To charge an additional $1 to mail a bill to collect money from a customer is absurd. It's not just Brighthouse, but many companies are incorporating "fees" to cover costs to do business.

Again, I don't care for paper bills but there are still those who do. To charge extra for that when after all these years it was never an issue is ridiculous. The cost to send a bill to a customer is incorporated in the fee you pay for your service. If we allow these fees to be added when will it stop? Brighthouse isn't nearly as bad as many others, but with the way things are going I don't see it getting better.

opp

@bhn.net
We should be able to pick 10 channels we don't want (now that's it all digital they can easily block them) and get $10 knocked off bill.

bighorn1

Bakersfield, CA
reply to weaseled386
said by weaseled386:

No, I have it covered. It is simple.... I store the PDF. If I ever need it I print a page. I've been doing this for years, and the only thing I've ever needed to reprint is a few Best Buy receipts (damn disappearing ink).

Yeah, since everything is about you.

I have a neighbor, 79 years old widow. Tell her to get computer and internet so she can download cable bill.
To spice that up with some data, in US 20% of population is 60 or older. Only half of those have internet.
Why should they be charged twice?

If such practices continue, sooner or later you'll be charged for your PDF.

And to your "Times are changing". True, especially when it comes to creative billing, less so for service itself. It's 2014, how long has HD been around? And we just got HD guide. Not all of course, because many still have boxes with ancient 20th century tech.
Wouldn't be appropriate if these changes keep up with billing?

More data? With latest price increases I pay to BHN about 2K per year for their services. Don't tell me they can't include within that amount costs for paper billing which doesn't cost more than $6 per year (per customer), yet they charge $12.