2 edits

2 recommendations

[Portal] MYACCOUNT: API KEY MANAGEMENT

Click for full size
new menu item that appears in the My Account menu
Click for full size
screen that allows you to generate or revoke unique API key
Hey all,

We have introduced a new feature in the MyAccount customer portal; API Key Management!

This feature enables you to generate an API key which will allow you to securely pull portal information (starting with usage history) into third party applications.

API Keys can be created and revoked an unlimited amount of times and will look like the following: B6E8F3AE8E00E4235A1E4CFAD0C8535E

In case you're wondering what this is all about.. well, it's a bit technical but it allows programmers to write software that can be useful to you. That software would ask you to generate a key from the MyAccount portal and enter it into that software.

This allows the software to communicate with our servers and send data from the portal, to the application.

When you generate that key and enter it, you are basically telling TekSavvy that it's ok for us to send your data to that software. This is why we tell you to use it at your own risk since we did not build those tools.

API is an acronym that mean's: Application Programming Interface

Encryption: all data is encrypted and is sent using the same encryption as the MyAccount portal.

PLEASE NOTE:

- If you generate a new key, you will need to re-enter it into your tools.

- TekSavvy is not responsible for the development or distribution of third party tools. As such, third party tools are used at your own risk.

- TekSavvy is not liable for any damages incurred by the use of third party applications.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Is there API documentation anywhere?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
said by SimplePanda:

Is there API documentation anywhere?

Yes. I'll update with additional guidance on how we will deal with that. Currently, we are only sharing this info with select individuals.

The primary intent with this release was to allow Capsavvy to function again with our new usage systems. I believe Guspaz will follow up with additional info on this shortly.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Re: [Portal] MYACCOUNT: API KEY MANAGEMENT ght

Hi guys,

There's a new build of CapSavvy ready to support the new API, but I'm down in the US right now, and I don't have access to my home PC to put together the release. I'll put together a release either Sunday night or Monday night, depending on when I get back.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Re: [Portal] MYACCOUNT: API KEY MANAGEMENT

Can't wait to see the docs. My plan is to use the API to write an Android App to track use.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

We have introduced a new feature in the MyAccount customer portal; API Key Management!

This feature enables you to generate an API key which will allow you to securely pull portal information (starting with usage history) into third party applications.

Is there a master key for CSEC/CSIS, or do you just hand over cleartext on request/warrant? :-(

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
well, it's all encrypted... same as the MyAccount portal via HTTPS... if they have a backdoor for that, I'd assume they would also have one for nearly all websites out there. from our point of view, we have gone way out of our way to protect everything.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
How about letting me encrypt my data on your server to my own key too? That way they'd need both keys, and I'm not about to incriminate myself, and you'd still be able to give up your key(s) without running afoul of any law.

fluffybunny

@cipherkey.net
dont be silly. they need to access your data to bill you and manage your use.
if you encrypt everything how are they going to do that ?

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
reply to TSI Marc
awsummmmmmmmmm ahead of the game as usual, eh teksavvy? first zap de cap now a way to monitor stuff even easier than going on the site and checking. ;D good stuff

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc
This is exciting news. Looking forward to seeing how this will be built upon. I certainly find signing into the portal be of value but some dedicated applications or smart phone apps would make information that much quicker to find.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 edit
reply to MaynardKrebs
We don't share your data, or keys, and the data is encrypted.. not sure what you're getting at?

If the gov somehow has a backdoor.. that's a whole other problem that's outside of our control. (and that using a different key wouldn't save you from)
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to creed3020
tx mikee and creed.. it certainly opens up many possibilities..
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

GuyIncognito

@pppoe.ca
reply to TSI Marc
>myaccount.teksavvy,com

>google-analytics.com

ugh I hope this isn't what I think it is.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
um. not sure what you think it is.. but what it is, is web analytics... tracks how many users visited the site and stuff like that. very standard stuff that has existed for a long time. it has no access to customer data. just web server statistics and stuff like that.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to GuyIncognito
said by GuyIncognito :

>myaccount.teksavvy,com

>google-analytics.com

No need to use it if you don't like it.

xhk

join:2011-01-09
reply to GuyIncognito
said by GuyIncognito :

>myaccount.teksavvy,com

>google-analytics.com

Just install ghostery. I put in on every computer I touch.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
said by xhk:

Just install ghostery. I put in on every computer I touch.

If you have the patience to train it no problem.

xhk

join:2011-01-09
Train? Are you confusing it with something else like noscript? Ghostery comes with autoupdating lists of trackers. No user action required after installation (once you set the settings).

CoreyMe

join:2007-11-03
London, ON
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Yes. I'll update with additional guidance on how we will deal with that.

Looking forward to this!

d0rhk

join:2008-07-17
reply to TSI Marc
could you send me some documentation? i'd like to know how to access the api.

thanks

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc
I think they're still working on a polished set of documentation for it, but in the mean time, I'll point out that CapSavvy is GPL'd, and v4.3 uses the new API.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

lleader

join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON
Umm. You might want to change your sig...

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I think they're still working on a polished set of documentation for it, but in the mean time, I'll point out that CapSavvy is GPL'd, and v4.3 uses the new API.

Ahh. Wonderful:

$ curl --header "TekSavvy-APIKey: aint_nothing_but_a_key_thing" »api.teksavvy.com/web/Usage/Usage···q%20true
{
"odata.metadata":"https://api.teksavvy.com/web/Usage/$metadata#UsageSummaryRecords","value":[
{
"StartDate":"2014-01-01T00:00:00","EndDate":"2014-01-31T00:00:00","OID":"617237","IsCurrent":false,"OnPeakDownload":0,"OnPeakUpload":0,"OffPeakDownload":0,"OffPeakUpload":0
},{
"StartDate":"2014-02-01T00:00:00","EndDate":"2014-02-28T00:00:00","OID":"617237","IsCurrent":false,"OnPeakDownload":0,"OnPeakUpload":0,"OffPeakDownload":0,"OffPeakUpload":0
},{
"StartDate":"2014-03-01T00:00:00","EndDate":"2014-03-28T00:00:00","OID":"617237","IsCurrent":true,"OnPeakDownload":0,"OnPeakUpload":0,"OffPeakDownload":0,"OffPeakUpload":0
}
]
}

Easy enough.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to TSI Marc
Well,

I have "MacSavvy 1.0" almost done. It logs in and retrieves data using your API key, then shows you all the available billing terms where you had usage and shows your usage.

It's pretty basic right now but it works.

Anyone with Mac OS X (at least 10.8) want to try it out? I can probably send a working .app tomorrow sometime.