All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Lokatana
join:2011-04-06

Lokatana

Rogers nextbox 3 looses surround sound

I've reported this to rogers but they have no idea how to fix this. Perhaps you fine people have some ideas.

I've got a NextBox 3 hooked into my home theatre. I've tried both HDMI and Optical for the audio to address this with no success. Here's the issue:

Every 3 or 4 days I notice that the audio signal being received by my receiver is in stereo (2.0). The only way to get 5.1 back is to reboot the NextBox. I never had this issue with a NextBox 2 - only when i upgraded to the NextBox 3 did this problem begin.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any one know of a way to prevent this from happening? I personally believe that this is some kind of firmware bug that can only be fixed by rogers or cisco, but hoping this helps get some awareness or ideas of how to solve.

Lok
Moose_man
join:2001-03-02
Keswick, ON

Moose_man

Check out this link from digitalhome.ca
»digitalhome.ca/forum/sho ··· t=197129
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to Lokatana

to Lokatana
Known issue at Rogers with all 9865s, No one at Rogers or Cisco has a solution. Among us techs we think it's a lack of 12v on the HDMI.
The current solution is to switch to component. Some reports of changing your audio output to "other" in the settings is supposed to work, but not when I've tried.
Lokatana
join:2011-04-06

Lokatana

said by cepnot4me:

The current solution is to switch to component.

Are you saying that if i reboot, and switch to this configuration, the "trigger" that flips it back to 2.0 sound won't occur in the first place, or that even if the problem is happening, switching to component / optical should solve the problem without requiring a reboot?

My experience is that when the problem was occurring, i tried moving to component for video and optical for audio but without rebooting the NextBox - the problem continued unresolved.

Thoughts?

kibosh
join:2010-12-16
Whitby, ON

kibosh

This issue still occurs when using optical and component so it seems it is software related and it usually occurs when flipping between recordings and live TV. There is a ton of information regarding this issue in the link provided by Moose_man.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to Lokatana

to Lokatana
My bad, I jumped the gun In my response, I was referring to the known issue of HDMI audio being intermittent , non existent or stuck in 2 channel (Never going into 5.1). That's a known issue, and it only refers to HDMI to TV connections. It doesn't include when receivers are involved.

kibosh
Whitby, ON

kibosh

I think you are probably referring to the same issue. However the audio drop-outs and the PCM issue happen regardless of whether you use HDMI or optical audio. Rogers has been telling people that use an AVR "too bad" they only support a direct connection to a TV which, of course, is ridiculous. Most people that directly connect to a TV would not notice the PCM issue.

These issues are known by Rogers and I have personally received a phone call telling me that fixes are being worked on . . . here's hoping.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

I hope your right.. I inquired about my issue a few weeks back and a friend on the inside told me Cisco was just as stumped by it as we are.

Which kind of like the 2am reboots means.. wait till the next gen PVR comes out and hope it's better.

kibosh
Whitby, ON

kibosh

Well that doesn't sound too promising.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

Big joke if you ask me, I guess Rogers stopped beta testing equipment before launching it. The result is CGN3 and 9865.
I'm thinking maybe that decision should be revisited. Or, maybe since Cisco is the sole provider of digital boxes.. "we don't know" isn't an acceptable answer.
cepnot4me

cepnot4me

New firmware coming April 1st in most areas.
Hopefully this fixes you guys up.

kibosh
Whitby, ON

kibosh

April 1st eh . . . suspicious timing

Do you know if it is specifically aimed at audio issues, or just a new firmware?
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

It's a hot fix, it's to resolve a long list of technical jargon I'm not familiar with (rare case). I see nothing specific towards audio fixes. And I should be more specific, April 1st- April 15th. (When you get it depends where you are, but all boxes will be updates by 12am April 16th.)

kibosh
Whitby, ON

kibosh

Thanks for the info and the heads up!
kibosh

kibosh to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
Received the new firmware 4.0.1.108 some time this morning. Lets hope it fixes the audio issues. Thanks again for the heads up.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

If you can, post up test results. If it's fixed or if it's not, keep the thread going for those folks who haven't googled it yet.

kibosh
Whitby, ON

kibosh

I am still getting the audio drop outs. We'll see if the pcm issue is fixed.
kibosh

kibosh to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
Just to let you know, neither audio issue has been corrected with this latest firmware. Dropouts and the switching to PCM issues persist.