uniqs
mtas
join:2006-03-31
Boston, MA

3 edits

mtas

[Phone] ARRIS TM822: Loses Phone On Battery - Boston, MA

Encoded MAC: e1b784b36e2dad1346e6bdf19c2f6724603a997d

I have phone service from RCN via an ARRIS TM822. The E-MTA and backup battery were provided by RCN new "out of the package" during Fall, 2013.

On the evening of 3/20/2014, my home lost power on two occasions, due to a local electrical fault. In both cases, phone service ceased (no dial tone) about 5 minutes after the power went out. There was one more outage late the following morning, and power has been back on since. On the evening of 3/21/2014, I simulated an outage by unplugging the power cord from the TM822, with the same unfortunate misbehavior.

While AC power is supplied, the "Battery" light on the device is solid green, and CM State shows "Battery Operation Status: TELEMETRY NORMAL" and "Battery Test State:Not Currently Under Battery Test."

Starting about 5 minutes after power goes out, I see the following sequence repeat on the device:

Power and Line Solid Green
DS Blinks Orange Then Solid Orange
US Blinks Orange Then Solid Orange
All lights out except Power Blinking Green
No Lights
==> sequence repeats.

After restoring AC power, I captured the current event log from the E-MTA, and have attached it to this posting for reference.

Perhaps one of the RCN folks can review the data, and make a recommendation (or adjust the provisioning if that turns out to be the problem).

Thanks!
mtas

mtas

Any advice?
peteboston
join:1999-11-10
Wakefield, MA

peteboston

I also have a TM822 and when I pull out the power, my phone line remains active even though the rest of the internet access through the modem goes dark (as expected). If you are not seeing this, then it sounds like you have a bad TM822 or battery. Sounds like you should open a case and have them come to your house. It seems easy enough to reproduce by pulling out the power that you shouldn't have any trouble getting this fixed if they don't have some magic answer for you on the phone when you open a ticket.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

I also have a TM822 and the phone works fine if you unplug it.