uniqs
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

1 edit

raytaylor

Netflix could switch to P2P distribution

»finance.yahoo.com/news/n ··· 987.html

From the article
That’s a possibility raised by Netflix CEO Reed Hastings in a blog post Thursday, which urged the FCC to make peering part of new net neutrality regulations. ISPs want Netflix to pay for delivering traffic to their customers because the company doesn’t consume as much traffic as it delivers

Those here with over 1000 subs on your networks, and in the USA, I ask you would this make any difference to your upstream bandwidth requirements and are you pro/against this sort of concept?

Personally I would be against it because we meter data at the border (our customers are all residential and dont realise they get it free between each other)
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01

Premium Member

I would remind everyone that CALEA requirements don't allow for inter client communication unless you have a method (currently/ and always in place) that allows tapping without interrupting that traffic. It's not a good idea to allow clients to talk amongst themselves on your network without being able to monitor it properly. ie having your AP allow interclient won't work for most AP's as you can't tap it properly for CALEA.
raytaylor

raytaylor

Thankfully CALEA doesnt apply to me. But we still do have the ability to tap - police or law enforcement agencies need to provide a computer or equipment to log traffic and a means to power it. We then temporarily set up a secondary AP at a solar powered high site to run the subscriber of interest and then port mirror it to a cat5 tie cable going over to whatever the police supply to log packets.
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to raytaylor

Premium Member

to raytaylor
That won't work here. You can't interrupt or do something that would let the customer know or think they are being tapped. So that means you can't do anything that would change the customers traffic or tie in point.

All equipment must already be in place in the event that a warrant comes your way. We also have to stream their traffic to the government. Not have them onsite with their own equipment. But I would imagine depending on the agency, you may get some interesting things happen if need be.
raytaylor

raytaylor

Wow i never realised it was that bad.
Anyhow, back on topic

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to raytaylor

MVM

to raytaylor
said by raytaylor:

Thankfully CALEA doesnt apply to me

Yet.

A few more free trade agreements later ... the US will get their slimey tentacles in some how.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to raytaylor

Premium Member

to raytaylor
Is CALEA even relevant now that -everyone- knows the NSA is watching everything...?