Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to SmokChsr

Re: Radio Shack Catalogs..

What sort of stuff does Radio Shack sell these days anyways?

Here in Canada, Circuit City bought them over and they are now "The Source". When that happened, they drastically reduced their inventory of electronic parts/components and radio related items down to almost nothing.

How does the modern day Radio Shack in the states compare?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
Here, toys, cables/adapters, antennas, computer peripherals but the biggest part of the store is delegated to cell phones and plans.

They still have parts but they have been relegated to a set of file drawers so you won't see them unless you look hard. Still not much parts and only some project cases etc.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to TheMG
Mostly cell phones and a few way overpriced adapters. I pretty much quit going there. Can get stuff much cheaper online or locally at Frys, Altex, and Micro Center. Plus then I don't have to deal with the annoying radio shack clerks bugging me for my cell phone number to check its upgrade eligibility.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

Here, toys, cables/adapters, antennas, computer peripherals but the biggest part of the store is delegated to cell phones and plans.

They still have parts but they have been relegated to a set of file drawers so you won't see them unless you look hard. Still not much parts and only some project cases etc.

Sounds pretty much the same as The Source here in Canada.

About half the store is cellphones/tablets and related accessories. The rest, laptops, PCs, peripherals, toys, audio cables and connectors. Tucked away in the furthest corner of the store is an appallingly small selection of electronic parts/supplies/tools.

Heck, the last time I went there looking for a 2A AGC fuse... they didn't have it. Years prior to that, they had pretty much a whole section dedicated to fuses and fuse holders. Now... not even a dozen different random fuses. That was the last time I ever went in to that store to look for a part/component. Very disappointing.