WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd

Re: I'd gladly sue them to get FiOS

There a lot of POTS customer that lose their service because the phones in the house are cordless. When the battery in the phone dies no dial tone. They do not think to keep an old phone to plug in when the power dies for a day. My buddies told me when the East Coast got hit by the snow and ice storm this February they kept them off the roads and let the electronic equipment feeding POTS out in the field die when the batteries were drained. If you copper pair does not go all the way back to the CO don't count on service after about 12 hours. The telcos no longer support the POTS system like they did in the past. If they piss customers off and they leave the system that is one more customer they don't have to worry about fighting over moving them to IP.
Goldielover
join:2008-02-29
Toronto, ON

Goldielover

That's why at least one of my POTS phones is a fully corded model. They're cheap - I paid less than $10.00 for it brand new. When the ice storm hit just before Christmas, the internet was down, the cell phones died after the first few days, but POTS kept on running. We were down for ten days. The older technologies are still more reliable in emergency situations. I was a bit surprised at the amount of younger people in particular who didn't have POTS, didn't have a battery powered radio, and some didn't even have so much as a flashlight. I saw one guy trying to navigate the pitch black apartment stairwell using only the light from the screen of his smartphone. Another (after power was back) complained on an online comments section of a news article that the emergency authorities should have gone door to door updating people, as they had no way of knowing what was going on without the internet. Until they can come up with some way of making the newer technologies as reliable as the old then I'm sticking with what I have. I could get VOIP for about half of what I pay for POTS, but I would have been SOL during the power outage.
bop75
join:2013-11-08

bop75 to WhatNow

to WhatNow
dude.....you're speaking for a lot of people you don't know dick about. Everyone I know that's still on POTS have an old plug in phones for that very reason.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by bop75:

dude.....you're speaking for a lot of people you don't know dick about. Everyone I know that's still on POTS have an old plug in phones for that very reason.

Exactly what we do. Our primary house phone is allways cordless and then the master bedroom has a corded trimline.
Goldielover
join:2008-02-29
Toronto, ON

Goldielover

We have one cordless, and three corded. Two of the corded are modern trimline types, but the third is a fully restored and functional 68 year old Stromberg Carlson model 1243 rotary dial. Great conversation piece, and works fine except for calling businesses where one may have to navigate a menu.