dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl to Seseau

to Seseau

Re: So..um...how is Youtube doing for everyone?

said by Seseau:

I had issues before where I had to use a proxy to get Youtube working in the evenings. Over the last 2-3 months I have yet to encounter a buffering issue.

So right now YouTube is great

Maybe check out this if you have the issue again.

»lifehacker.com/preload-e ··· 86454034

It might help with your particular problem?
Seseau
join:2013-03-29
Delano, CA

Seseau

Youtube is working great for me without disabling dash.

Also, disabling DASH means 720p max quality

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl

said by Seseau:

Youtube is working great for me without disabling dash.

I read about that before. Also I think it means many videos will be stuck around 320p too since I believe the next incremental step isn't available without dash enabled. The net effect is that for a significant amount of videos you end up stuck on the next lowest supported level ( 320p) since there is nothing higher supported for that particular video.

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to Seseau

Premium Member

to Seseau
said by Seseau:

This has in fact been brought up before, who is really relying on YouTube for super duper high def internet videos?
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel

I don't usually watch Youtube, but when I do, I prefer...to just use a plugin to download the videos to local storage, watch them, then delete.

If you're a moderate to heavy Youtube user, this is probably too annoying, but if there's only a few videos/channels you're interested in, queue up each video, download it, and watch them all without interruption when they're done. I use this Firefox plugin: »addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· dio-dow/ . It's very easy to download videos in just a couple clicks.

If you want 1080p, you can get that too with that plugin, but Youtube doesn't make it hassle free. Youtube splits 1080p video and audio into 2 files, so you have to remux them into one. You need ffmpeg for that, and you can even link ffmpeg to that plugin and it will do the remux for you. I prefer to do it by hand (well, with a python script). Also, if you really want the best quality and have bandwidth to spare, download both the 1080p video and the 720p file (which contains both an audio and video stream), extract the audio from the 720p file, and mux that with the 1080p video. The reason is that the plugin reports that the 1080p audio stream file is actually at a lesser bitrate than the stream in the 720p file, but the difference is minimal.

Plus, sometimes I find that your OS's player renders better than the Flash player.