Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to tascon

Premium Member

to tascon

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

said by tascon:

Maybe I missed it, but haven't seen any comments about Apple Airport and/or Time Capsule. They both support ac. I have been exclusively Airport Extreme and Time Capsules for years and have been rock solid for me.

There's a reason....they are grossly overpriced and under featured.
tascon
join:2014-03-22
Orlando, FL

2 edits

tascon

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by tascon:

Maybe I missed it, but haven't seen any comments about Apple Airport and/or Time Capsule. They both support ac. I have been exclusively Airport Extreme and Time Capsules for years and have been rock solid for me.

Please allow me to reply indicating that I don't mean to start an argument. That is probably the last thing that I want to do in the internet. But please note that it is difficult to put a tone in the posts and I want to be as respectful as possible.

With that disclaimer out of the way, the Airport Extreme retails for $199 + tax, for an ac router, and you can get it in Amazon for $184.99 shipped as of this writing.

On paper maybe they are under featured, but there is value in simplicity and in beauty of UI (IMO). Also there is value being able to monitor your network through your PC, Mac, iPhone or iPad.

I can't think of a feature that I miss in the Airport Extreme (since I don't consider myself a network tinkerer). But I am able to do IP reservations, change the DNS to Open DNS, and use it bridged with an Arris TG862G that I own. And boy the Airport Time Capsule (Airport Extreme+ hard drive all in one) is reliable. Additionally, I have an older airport that I use in extended mode with the only purpose to provide network access to a printer that doesn't have built- in wireless.

Airport Time Capsules may look overpriced, but only if you go for the 3 TB $399 + tax model. The 2 TB model retails for $299 + tax, which is pretty much the price of the Airport Extreme plus the hard drive. And it is a life saver for some people. Some people never care to do backups and the Airport Time Capsule (or an Airport Extreme with an external hard drive) automates the process. Yes, I recognize that it is not the most reliable or the best backup method, but it can save your "bacon" more frequently than you think.

Please note that I haven't included any information about the $99 Airport Express as I would not consider anything that is not Gigabit Ethernet.

Anyway, I didn't want to write a book here and I apologize if I offended somebody in this post. It was not my intention and only wanted to help.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by tascon:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by tascon:

Please allow me to reply indicating that I don't mean to start an argument. That is probably the last thing that I want to do in the internet. But please note that it is difficult to put a tone in the posts and I want to be as respectful as possible.

With that disclaimer out of the way, the Airport Extreme retails for $199 + tax, for an ac router, and you can get it in Amazon for $184.99 shipped as of this writing.

On paper maybe they are under featured, but there is value in simplicity and in beauty of UI (IMO). Also there is value being able to monitor your network through your PC, Mac, iPhone or iPad.

I can't think of a feature that I miss in the Airport Extreme (since I don't consider myself a network tinkerer). But I am able to do IP reservations, change the DNS to Open DNS, and use it bridged with an Arris TG862G that I own. And boy the Airport Time Capsule (Airport Extreme+ hard drive all in one) is reliable. Additionally, I have an older airport that I use in extended mode with the only purpose to provide network access to a printer that doesn't have built- in wireless.

Airport Time Capsules may look overpriced, but only if you go for the 3 TB $399 + tax model. The 2 TB model retails for $299 + tax, which is pretty much the price of the Airport Extreme plus the hard drive. And it is a life saver for some people. Some people never care to do backups and the Airport Time Capsule (or an Airport Extreme with an external hard drive) automates the process. Yes, I recognize that it is not the most reliable or the best backup method, but it can save your "bacon" more frequently than you think.

Please note that I haven't included any information about the $99 Airport Express as I would not consider anything that is not Gigabit Ethernet.

Anyway, I didn't want to write a book here and I apologize if I offended somebody in this post. It was not my intention and only wanted to help.

Take a look at the feature set of any of the routers mentioned in this very long thread (perhaps someone will let you login to theirs so you can see it first hand) and then compare it with the Apple equiv and enough said. Lets not forget the lack of alternative firmware which offers additional features not found in most stock and you might understand where I'm coming from. Now one thing for sure Apple products do love Apple products which has always been an issue for me and most I know but thats another story....