uniqs
RickWakeman
join:2013-06-23
Springfield, MA

RickWakeman

[Plumbing] Slow Drain - Black Stuff

Click for full size
Click for full size
My tub seems to get slow every few months. In order to get it going again, I seal up the overflow drain and plunge it. All of this black stuff ends up in the tub and then it drains okay until next time.

Oh yeah and I snapped my Zip it tool trying to clean it out. I am sure that will be a problem too.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

Go buy yourself a cheap snake and snake it through the overflow. Those zip things suck.
bkjohnson
Premium Member
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL

bkjohnson to RickWakeman

Premium Member

to RickWakeman
Buying a good inexpensive hair trap and getting those who still have hair in the house to use it has drastically cut down on clog problems in our tub. Some traps are better designed than others.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to RickWakeman

Premium Member

to RickWakeman
After you plunge it and get it flowing, go find the largest pot you have. (A canner kettle that holds a few gallons works great). Fill with water and a little baking soda. Heat to boiling and CAREFULLY bring it to the bathroom and poor down the drain.

Put all pets and kids up before walking around with the cauldron!! Use protective gear as a splash from 5 gallons of boiling water is nothing trifle.

Zorack
join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack to RickWakeman

to RickWakeman
If you didn't keep pooing while taking a bath,your water would look a whole lot better :P
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to RickWakeman

to RickWakeman
If you have well water, lift the lid on your toilet tank and see if there is a black coating on the inside. If so you might have a iron bacteria issue. If so it will coat the inside of the drain especially if there is something for it to grab on to. If you don't have a well there is little chance of that. Just one thing to look at.
RickWakeman
join:2013-06-23
Springfield, MA

RickWakeman to Zorack

to Zorack
said by Zorack:

If you didn't keep pooing while taking a bath,your water would look a whole lot better :P

Hahahaha. It's been a long time since I have taken a bath.
said by H_T_R_N:

If you have well water, lift the lid on your toilet tank and see if there is a black coating on the inside. If so you might have a iron bacteria issue. If so it will coat the inside of the drain especially if there is something for it to grab on to. If you don't have a well there is little chance of that. Just one thing to look at.

I don't have a well but I used to get a build up of black crud on the inside of my shower faucet in my last apartment (same city).

RipTides
join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

RipTides to RickWakeman

to RickWakeman
The black stuff is just "organic matter" in plumbing parlance. It's a combo of hair, soap, skin, etc.. all collecting inside the pipes and slowly breaking down.

It tends to build up more in slower draining fixtures or especially in kitchen fixtures where food particles join into the mix, but it's pretty standard gunk in any waste system, especially with p-traps.

I'd lean towards thinking you have some sort of partial blockage that is allowing it to build up more than usual and trying a snake out wouldn't hurt anything.

DarkHelmet
join:2014-02-21

1 edit

DarkHelmet to RickWakeman

to RickWakeman
Could it be a disintegrating anode rod from the water heater? The particles come out in the hot water and you don't even notice them until they clog it up?

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to RickWakeman

MVM

to RickWakeman
Do you work in a coal mine or tire recycling plant?