Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere to I laffed

Premium Member

to I laffed

Re: The Telus Special

said by I laffed :

said by Davesnothere:

But the 'fair play' side of my brain also had assumed that the PM site would have put a 'stop-sell' order on their own CDMA hardware, now that this situation has gone 'public', no ?

No. You haven't been reading what was being said. They are still being sold and even pushed as a good deal by PM/Telus. You seem to be jumping all over the place without looking at the info Mfido has given, or even yyzlhr.

Also, the prices you will see on the webpage have been revamped. Might not reflect what people paid 3 months ago at Xmas.

No, I read those posts.

But THEY were lengthy and all over the place, and I wanted someone to summarize as you just did, to make it a bit easier for the next newcomer to this fast-moving thread.

Thanks.

While you were doing that, I was on the PM site and saw what looks at first glance to be some pretty nice HW - 4 different Android 4 phones, each reduced to only $99 from $200+.

This one looks neat, but no mention of what frequencies it supports, nor the encoding method.

»www.publicmobile.ca/pmco ··· eId=N861

IOW, there is even today ZERO HINT of the soon-looming fate of these phones, if bought today.

All they would be good for, once orphaned from the PM 'hive', would likely be as WiFi web mini-tablets, yes ?

= = = = =

Would continuing to sell those phones now (as they seem to be doing) not be almost perfect grounds for legal actions, along with evidence of when Telus knew what they would be doing with PM's network ?
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to I laffed

Premium Member

to I laffed

CBC's latest article on this

Posted today :

»www.cbc.ca/news/business ··· .2590467

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed

Anon

French (google translation):

Telus les force à acheter un nouveau cellulaire
»tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/mont ··· 356.html

Imagine that you just buy yourself a cell phone and the operator requires you, a few weeks later just to get one another ... for a fee.

This is precisely what happens these days to subscribers Public Mobile cellular service now owned by Telus. As the company wants to get customers on its 4G network, they should be equipped with a new compatible device.

...snip...

Users, however, do not took off. Several have also contacted tvanouvelles.ca to complain about Telus.

"I just bought two cell which cost me $ 380 and then I was told that I have to change my phone and I have to pay $ 30 per phone. I do not have to pay again for two other phones, "said Anie Desjardins.

"Telus is forcing people to buy new cell with 15 days notice. I come to change and they do not even want to exchange it for market value and it's only been 14 days that I have, "was meanwhile indignant Kevin Gauthier.

Joined by tvanouvelles.ca, Consumers Union has called the situation "alarming" and promises to keep an eye on this case.

"There may be something to do in the context of civil litigation," said Sophie Lambert-Racine, telecommunications analyst for the Union. "We will look at it with attention," she added.

Ms. Lambert-Racine, the "normal" and "responsible" would free the operator to provide the customers with a compatible cell phone will not work once the new network based device.

All I can say is thank god the Quebec Consumers Union has piped up. *phew*
I was honestly worried they wouldn't.

@Mfido, you should encourage others you come across to contact the union with they they get offered, or what the CCTS says or other.
I laffed

I laffed

Anon

What is also weird I find is this:

1) Wind stated they want all these customers, which Telus really doesn't want and is treating like dirt.

2) Videotron headlines today state they have the best price in *all* of Canada. *All*.

Yet Videotron doesn't even bother to try and entice these customers to come to them, or to match the 40$ with better, or to offer this percentage of the 280-thousand users a great deal on a new handset.

It's quite clear that no one wants these low cost customers. They are considered too cheap by Bell, Telus, Rogers and Videotron. Yet Wind wishes they could have them and even has the same 250$ phone Telus is offering at 0$ for the same 24 month promise that Telus gave at Xmas (which they are now breaking).

I can't wrap my head around why the Harper Industry Minister would throw 280-thousand people under the bus (and 280-thousand votes)? Is it because the Telus Conservative party donations by Telus out-competes these real life people?

Wind 0$, the same 40$ a month, unlimited everything.
Telus: Inflated phone costs marked down to make it seem special + 40$ 1-gig. Anything over 1-gig breaks they decrepit network (telus's words).

Why can't these 280-thousand people get what they want? And that would be Wind mobile.

Minister Moore, why did you kick these 280-thousand people in the head? Do you hate Canadians that much?

I hope the Qc gov gets their own CRTC, and fast. We don't need these assholes in power.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by I laffed :

I hope the Qc gov gets their own CRTC, and fast. We don't need these assholes in power.

Neither does the Rest of Canada, big guy.

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed

Anon

said by MaynardKrebs:

Yeah but I live in a distinct society who can pull this off. You don't. You are stuck with Harpers telecom corruption and pocket lining. I'm not... if we vote properly

Our corruption is better than your corruption.
I laffed

I laffed

Anon

Public Mobile phones will be doorstops: Roseman
»www.thestar.com/business ··· man.html

David Hughes bought a $250 wireless phone at Public Mobile on March 6. He didn’t know that new owner Telus was planning to switch customers to its network, making their current phones obsolete.

On March 27, he heard the news at the store. He wanted to return the phone, but was told he’d missed the seven-day window for refunds.

“This is nuts,” he says. “Public Mobile must have known it was selling phones that people would have to pay a bundle to upgrade.”

...snip...

“I don’t want to spend more on a phone,” he replied. “Implicit in my purchase of the phone on March 6 was the understanding that, barring damage to the phone, I would be able to access the Public Mobile network. Public Mobile revoked this access.”

Hughes offered his own options: (1) Choose a comparable phone to what he bought at no further cost and maintain the original contract terms. (2) Get a full refund of the purchase price, plus a prorated refund of any fees charged for using the phone after March 27.

I doubt he will get anywhere with his demands. Telus is continuing to stress the advantages of moving to its fourth generation (4G) network, such as national coverage, faster wireless data speeds and better quality phones. ...

“We don’t offer unlimited data plans because they don’t reflect the real cost of providing wireless service,” says Telus spokesman Shawn Hall. “Most Public Mobile customers use less than the 1 GB data threshold and will not notice any change.”

Funny that both wind and Videotron offer unlimited as moron Shawn Hall of Telus sez 1 gig is more than enough for anyone. What an asshole this guy is.
FUSEB
join:2013-07-26

FUSEB to I laffed

to I laffed

Wtf i already predicted all of this shit one month ago

»[QC] Public-mobile acheté par Telus à 100%,mais pour le client...
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to I laffed

to I laffed

Re: CBC's latest article on this

said by I laffed :

What is also weird I find is this:

1) Wind stated they want all these customers, which Telus really doesn't want and is treating like dirt.

2) Videotron headlines today state they have the best price in *all* of Canada. *All*.

Yet Videotron doesn't even bother to try and entice these customers to come to them, or to match the 40$ with better, or to offer this percentage of the 280-thousand users a great deal on a new handset.

It's quite clear that no one wants these low cost customers. They are considered too cheap by Bell, Telus, Rogers and Videotron. Yet Wind wishes they could have them and even has the same 250$ phone Telus is offering at 0$ for the same 24 month promise that Telus gave at Xmas (which they are now breaking).

I can't wrap my head around why the Harper Industry Minister would throw 280-thousand people under the bus (and 280-thousand votes)? Is it because the Telus Conservative party donations by Telus out-competes these real life people?

Wind 0$, the same 40$ a month, unlimited everything.
Telus: Inflated phone costs marked down to make it seem special + 40$ 1-gig. Anything over 1-gig breaks they decrepit network (telus's words).

Why can't these 280-thousand people get what they want? And that would be Wind mobile.

Minister Moore, why did you kick these 280-thousand people in the head? Do you hate Canadians that much?

Wind wouldn't do anything different. Unless they want to operate to completely incompatible networks, which would be unlikely. If Wind took over, they wouldn't be in a position to give out free phones and if they did, those customers would be on a contract which would likely piss them off anyways as one of the main market differentiators with public was that it is a no commitment service.

I'm not sure what else the government could have done. If they forced Telus to give out free phones and lock in Public mobile's pricing they probably would've have passed on the deal, and Public would have eventually died anyways.

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed

Anon

Bay street analysts laugh at the Harper Industry Minister
From, The Wire

...Snip...
Canaccord Genuity analyst Dvai Ghose said in a Friday research note that
the comments were “amusing” given the minister’s lack of experience
running a wireless carrier.

“Surely Moore understands that the obvious drivers of TELUS acquisition
of Public Mobile were its spectrum and tax losses, not its subscriber
base and that Public Mobile’s pricing was unsustainably low,” Ghose said.

In buying Public Mobile, Ghose noted, Telus picked up 10 Mhz of G band
spectrum in Ontario and Quebec.

Regulators cleared the way for Telus to take over Public Mobile last
November. The government had blocked Telus' attempted takeover of
Mobilicity, which is in bankruptcy protection, citing a lack of competition.

That's pretty bad when the money people running Canada point the finger and laugh at the Harper government for allow Telus to rip off the people, as asshole Shawn Hall of Telus tell them less than 1-gig is more than enough for anyone.
I laffed

I laffed to FUSEB

Anon

to FUSEB

said by FUSEB:

Wtf i already predicted all of this shit one month ago

»[QC] Public-mobile acheté par Telus à 100%,mais pour le client...

You were ahead of everyone. You even called it before Telus Screwed 280-thousand people. I will nominate you as a Quebec CRTC commissioner.
I laffed

I laffed to yyzlhr

Anon

to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

I'm not sure what else the government could have done. If they forced Telus to give out free phones and lock in Public mobile's pricing they probably would've have passed on the deal, and Public would have eventually died anyways.

That's what should have happened.

Harper's Industry Canada told Telus, and allowed Telus to f*ck over 280-thousand people. Now the Industry Minister blames Telus (as we see in the media). And I doubt very much that Telus would have balked at it. They wanted this spectrum badly.

Instead Harpers Industry Canada said F*ck the people and only give them a bone of 19$/month of unlimited talk till the end of 2014, as we see them say.

The Harper gov actually tossed 280-thousand people under the bus with their blessing to Telus.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

There were two choices. Let Telus have their way, or let Public completely disappear. Neither of them really benefit the consumer. I think allowing Telus to take over would actually be the slightly better option. Even though the prices will ultimately be higher, they are still reasonable and will be able to serve this niche market better than many other providers.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to I laffed

Premium Member

to I laffed
said by I laffed :

....Our corruption is better than your corruption.

Davesnothere

Davesnothere to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

The gummint ALWAYS has other choices - they just don't CHOOSE them very often.

And 'Eventually' might be better odds to the consumer of getting at least SOME value out of a March 6th 2014 (or 2013 December) hardware investment than what they face now with Telus.

THEN, if necessary upon the possible demise of PM, eat the phone.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to I laffed

Premium Member

to I laffed
said by I laffed :

....And I doubt very much that Telus would have balked at it. They wanted this spectrum badly....

Maybe someone already answered in another thread, but humour me :

What is so valuable about this particular spectrum, anyway ?
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to I laffed

Premium Member

to I laffed

We keep speaking of PM's 'niche' market.

Is this because they only operate in the GTA & GMA ?

What Canadian 'away zone' (roaming) arrangements does PM have ?

If there is no such roaming, then their so-called unlimited calling would only be useful if the subscriber remained near home.

Is THAT the niche with which 260-280K consumers were satisfied ?
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Not necessarily. By niche I'm referring to a segment that is budget conscious, credit limited, potentially low income, and limited mobility.

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed to yyzlhr

Anon

to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

There were two choices. Let Telus have their way, or let Public completely disappear.

Not really. It was the competition bureau via industry Canada who set the rules of the buy. The only condition they made was to force Telus to keep the 19$ unlimited talk for people w/o giving any thought to handsets or other. The competition bureau conditions are still online for you to see...

What is also funny is that Telus is saying to people and the media, "hey, we kept the 19$ unlimited for you". lol Telus was *forced* to keep it.
I laffed

I laffed to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Dunno, I'm not really into what spectrum can do what, or be used for what etc. "Gone" is someone that tends to follow this tech stuff.

But, Telus stated this (refer to bottom of post in italics):
»Re: The Telus Special
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to I laffed

Premium Member

to I laffed
said by I laffed :

said by MaynardKrebs:

Yeah but I live in a distinct society who can pull this off. You don't. You are stuck with Harpers telecom corruption and pocket lining. I'm not... if we vote properly

Our corruption is better than your corruption.

Not better, just different.

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed

Anon

Ever see those new(ish) Mobile commercials playing on TV by the Harper gov the past month?

New rules to protect consumers!
More choice!
Lower prices!
Better service!
Consumers First!

Oh silly you. That only applies to AWS spectrum. Not Public Mobiles G-block. So none of the above applies.
-Brought to you by the Government of Canada
(That is actually what the Industry Minister stated, BTW).

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to I laffed

Premium Member

to I laffed
said by I laffed :

said by Davesnothere:

Dunno, I'm not really into what spectrum can do what, or be used for what etc. "Gone" is someone that tends to follow this tech stuff.

Looks like that spectrum is now starting to be used by larger carriers for something specific - an emerging defacto standard for data over LTE, if I read it properly.

If true, then PM did not know its yet-to-be-established value when THEY bid on it back in - what - 2008 ?

Gone's followup reply at your link seems to see it that way too.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by Davesnothere:

said by I laffed :

said by Davesnothere:

Looks like that spectrum is now starting to be used by larger carriers for something specific - an emerging defacto standard for data over LTE, if I read it properly.

If true, then PM did not know its yet-to-be-established value when THEY bid on it in - what - 2008 ?

The spectrum that Public has can be easily refarmed for LTE, which is likely what Telus will do down the road. There is absolutely no other reason why Telus wanted to acquire Public. They don't have as much spectrum compared to Bell and Rogers hence why they're so keen to acquire smaller players like Public and Mobilicity. The 280k customers they gained from Public are actually considered a nuisance. This is why Telus is so eager to get rid of them.

There is really no new technology emerging here. The spectrum that Public holds could've always been used for LTE, but Public simply didn't have enough of it on it's own to actually deploy anything.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

PM did not have enough spectrum - period.

To do that, AND regular stuff.

So they just did the reg stuff, and the oldest incarnation of it to boot - CDMA.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

....There is really no new technology emerging here. The spectrum that Public holds could've always been used for LTE, but Public simply didn't have enough of it on it's own to actually deploy anything.

I'm simply saying that when PM bought it, that mayhaps nobody ELSE had decided yet to use that band as they now have.

I mean, how long have iPhones been around ? - And THEY are said to be able to use that band - see Laffed's link to me's article quote from upthread.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by Davesnothere:

said by yyzlhr:

....There is really no new technology emerging here. The spectrum that Public holds could've always been used for LTE, but Public simply didn't have enough of it on it's own to actually deploy anything.

I'm simply saying that when PM bought it, that mayhaps nobody ELSE had decided yet to use that band as they now have.

I mean, how long have iPhones been around ? - And THEY are said to be able to use that band - see Laffed's link to me's article quote from upthread.

Only the newest iPhones support the band that Public uses. It still isn't the most sought after band. So far only Sprint is using this frequency for LTE. But Telus probably needed it since they didn't fare that well in the 700mhz auction and they couldn't acquire Mobilicity.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

My primary point of several posts is that in 2008, the band now in question was nothing special to ANYBODY yet, right ?

It also sounds like Telus might try to buy nearly ANYBODY, if some (any) spectrum was part of the deal.

Sh!t, they even tried to buy BELL once.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Well back in 2008, I'm not sure any of the incumbents were allowed to buy any of the spectrum even if they wanted it.

I wouldn't call Public's spectrum anything special today. Telus only wants it because they already own some of the same spectrum out west so this will pair nicely with their current holdings, which already fall way short of Bell and Rogers. Bell and Rogers would have absolutely no use for Public's spectrum. They both have so much at their disposal and their spectrum holdings are way more desirable.

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
Click for full size
FEB 2014
"Guspaz" brought up a question earlier on in regards to Public mobile giving promises of 20 months deals and so forth.

I'm still on the trail of find the 20-month deal, but I did find this stated 6-month deal from last month.

So yeah, Guspaz, since this is real and is also being broken, the 20-month deal is likely true. I was able to find the 20-month deal in reference to black Friday and Xmas. I'm find this reference a lot.

So if the 6 month deal above is true, so is the 20-month one I am seeing a lot of.

In reference to this 6 month deal from Feb, 2014, Both Telus, Public Mobile, Government of Canada, Industry Canada, the Competition Bureau and Jame Moore really screwed people. Big time.

No one is honouring the conditions of the sale which is the *very* first clause in the Wireless Code.

Can't wait to see how the lackeys at the CCTS rule on this one. It will be fun to the the CCTS tell 260-thousand people that the wireless code is really just a joke.

Any PM customers here, or internet sleuths able to track down the 20-month promo from Black Friday or Xmas?