uniqs

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed to nomeansno8

Anon

to nomeansno8

Re: The Telus Special

said by nomeansno8:

I just bought the phone for my daughter at christmas (30$ per month instead of 35... for 20 months).... Grrrrr! So it is real I'll have to change her phone and take the new package when they said I had mine for the next 20 months! Could you please keep us up to date, I'll for sure enrolled in any class action against them! ... so now what other choices do I have!

Put it all in writing to a consumers group like the Consumers Union as Mfido did (review this topic). If enough people come forward they may take this on. They will take people from Ontario.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
That's even worse. This whole situation is a lose lose for consumers and win win for TELUS.

Is there not a single person in our government that is capable of recognizing these atrocious backhanded anti-consumer practices? I understand that so many of them are corrupt and or have their hand in the cookie jar, but seriously...just one! That's all we need!

CRTC Agent
@gurutek.biz

CRTC Agent

Anon

said by nekkidtruth:

Is there not a single person in our government that is capable of recognizing these atrocious backhanded anti-consumer practices? I understand that so many of them are corrupt and or have their hand in the cookie jar, but seriously...just one! That's all we need!

Time to correct this situation...

Wizard of Oz!

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

Hahaha. Wow, those are some pretty snazzy red shoes! Wait...damn it! Stop it! I'm not going to be swindled into turning my attention from reality!
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to I laffed

Premium Member

to I laffed
Time to be the lead plaintiff in a class-action lawsuit.

Siskinds is well experienced in this sort of thing
»www.siskinds.com/Practic ··· s-Action
as is
»www.strosbergco.com/

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed

Anon

Well, what I think is actually going to happen here is the following:

1) The CCTS will state people have a choice:
A) Buy a new phone and plan from Telus
B) leave
The CCTS will ignore everything about clarity and will ignore everything about the 20-month commitment that people were told they bought. That's how they are. They suck balls and won't even address it. They will also ignore how Telus and Public mobile should have informed people before buying this 20-month commitment thing as both Telus and Public Mobile put out media releases about "service continuity". The Clarity part of the wireless code is really only for show. the CRTC and the CCTS will just piss on it all the time. Clarity is an inside joke to them.

2) The OPC will not have the balls for anything. At most they will say people have to change phones because it's no good on Telus' network, and then ignore all the rest (Telus has a billion dollar contract with the Qc gov BTW).

3) The Consumers Union, if they look at all the issues would be the only ones I would hold out for to get a decent reply from. Maybe. The new person there isn't as active as Hemond was. Since he left the Union the Union has been mostly very quiet on anything telecom.

By this time 2 weeks from now, no one will care anymore and the mad customers in Montreal will wish they had a alternative like other area's of Quebec has with Wind mobile. But they will be stuck with the Montreal inflated prices. The bigger population there will be subdued into submission and the coq that crows the loudest upon the dung hill will be Telus who will be looking down on all the shit-heads.

That is my prediction of the outcome of this.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

I'd by-pass the CCTS as it's not obligatory on the consumer, and head straight for a class-action lawyer.

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed

Anon

Telus’s decision to shut Public Mobile angers consumers
»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 7703328/

Telus Corp. is preparing to shut down Public Mobile’s wireless network, a move that forces the discount carrier’s roughly 280,000 customers to buy new cellphones in order to maintain service.

Although Telus is planning to migrate Public Mobile’s customers onto its faster 4G (fourth-generation) national network, its decision is sparking a firestorm of criticism from consumer advocates and is raising the eyebrows of federal officials, including Industry Minister James Moore. That’s because Public Mobile largely caters to low-income Canadians who can least afford the cost of purchasing new cellphones.

Since those consumers often opt for ultra-cheap talk-and-text plans, broader questions are being raised about the state of competition in the $20-billion wireless market at a time when the two remaining independent carriers, Mobilicity and Wind Mobile, appear to be on weaker footing.

....SNIP....

Industry Minister James Moore questioned the wisdom of Telus’s move.

“Seems like an odd business decision to alienate thousands of Public Mobile users as you absorb Public Mobile itself,” Mr. Moore told The Globe and Mail, while on a trade mission in Germany. “Ultimately it’s a business decision I’ll leave for Telus to explain.”

Some Public Mobile customers are lodging grievances with Canada’s Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services, an Ottawa-based ombuds office that resolves complaints about telecom companies. Due to privacy rules, however, Commissioner Howard Maker cannot discuss specific complaints or providers.

“If they incur any costs, it’s unfortunate especially since they’re cost-conscious customers,” said John Lawford, executive director of the Public Interest Advocacy Centre, an Ottawa-based consumer group. “We’re concerned about it.”

Since technical differences made a network migration a “foreseeable” outcome, the federal Competition Bureau should have required Telus to provide Public Mobile’s customers with free cellphones in such a situation, Mr. Lawford said.

For low-income Canadians, the burden of buying new cellphones, even those priced under $50, is substantial, he said. “It is hard on these folks.” ....Continues....

Seems the voices are being heard. The dumb fuq harper conservative industry minister who gave this his blessing is now looking like he's regretting it.

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido

Left a comment there as well!

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed

Anon

You know... I was thinking (ouch)..

Why not contact the leader of the NDP, Mulcair, and ask him to call out the minister in parliament? Sure would be fun to see Mulcair ask the minister why he stated that public mobiles acquisition and transfer does not have any effect on competition as he gave his blessing for this to happen.

Sure would be fun to see him completely blame Telus as he did in the Globe and Mail piece above.

»www.ndp.ca/tommulcair

Dear Mr. Mulcair,
Could you call out the industry minister for us poor people, please?
Maybe also tell him about the other person above who wrote here to say Telus stole his kids Xmas present.

Telus=Grinch

That would sure be some fun stuff to see.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by I laffed :

You know... I was thinking (ouch)..

Why not contact the leader of the NDP, Mulcair, and ask him to call out the minister in parliament? Sure would be fun to see Mulcair ask the minister why he stated that public mobiles acquisition and transfer does not have any effect on competition as he gave his blessing for this to happen.

Well realistically it doesn't have any effect on the competition. Public Mobile was so niche that it didn't affect the incumbents. Also if they didn't get absorbed by Telus, they would've eventually went under anyways.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to I laffed

to I laffed
are people on old PM plans able to keep their plan and move to the telus 4G network (albeit with 1GB data?)

Those plans could be pretty valuable at some point, weren't there unlimited plans for 29$? No national carrier offers that.

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed

Anon

They can keep the 19$/month for unlimit talk. But it will expire at the end of the year. That's it. The issue is people having to lose the 200$+ they just spent on a "new" phone" + they lose the unlimited.

For example a dad or mom up above bought this for this kid. Now the 200$ phone + data pack is no good. And let's be honest here, with a kid I wouldn't want anything else but unlimited data. Don't need more surprise bills.

People bought this for the data. It wasn't fast, something like 1-meg, but it was affordable to a lot of people and gave peace of mind to mom and pop.

Now you have parents telling their kids, "well throw out your xmas present, Telus hates you".

And I'm not 100% sure about this, but I saw people talking about a contract with these new phones or plans. I didn't check it out though.

If no fight comes of this, people should just use their phones till they no longer work and dump this crap company.

Was reading today that wind is apparently trying to push the gov right now for low roaming/wholesale rates to pick these 260-thousand abused Telus customers that the Harper gov tossed under the bus. They want to be able to give them a special. Those would have to be significantly low rates to make it worth while and a damn good special. Not sure how wind will pull this off. But Videotron did with Rogers w/ unlimited data, so it isn't impossible. Gov would just have to fast-track it to make it happen.

I hope this avenue opens to them and they all give Telus the finger.
I laffed

I laffed to Cloneman

Anon

to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

are people on old PM plans able to keep their plan and move to the telus 4G network (albeit with 1GB data?)

I believe the current public mobile users stated here the plans also go up by 10$ and Telus is offering to knock 5$ off I think for x-amount of time if they buy another phone (and they have to "act fast" per the webpage. In other words Telus is also pressuring them so they can sucker them in). Plus Telus took away some other features. I think it was listed on page 2 of the topic.

Look at the posts by Mfido. He knows more about it.

MFido
Montreal

MFido to Cloneman

to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

No! This is on top of the fact we are forced to buy new phones ...We have to move to the new plans as well ...$10 more per month

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed

Anon

MFido, I'm curious about something.

Do you happen to know when you first became aware that you would have to buy a new phone and lose the plan you have and the unlimited data?

I was looking around and I saw documents from Telus dated around the first of Feb. So that means telus knew what they were going to do around Xmas time as people bought these phones and plans for their kids for Xmas.

So it has me a bit curious when the people themselves were informed.

Did you get an Email or TXT msg in Feb about this?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to I laffed

MVM

to I laffed
There's a PM kiosk in this building. I wonder if they're still selling CDMA phones.

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed

Anon

said by Guspaz:

There's a PM kiosk in this building. I wonder if they're still selling CDMA phones.

Check it out when you can.
Let us know.
Snap some pics if you can

MFido
Montreal

MFido to I laffed

to I laffed
We received an email sometimes in February, something in line with this:

»www.publicmobile.ca/pmco ··· _samsung

"We have exciting news to come, including a move to a new network. We are still working on some of the final details of this move but want to make sure you stay updated so the transition is as smooth as possible for everyone ."

If I recall well, no mention about the new phones

Then something about the Data being reduced ... in line with this: »www.publicmobile.ca/pmco ··· new_data

But I just saw myself that we have to buy new phones 1 week ago going on their website... is was not communicated yet by email or SMS ....or at least I got nothing (except the above and the payment confirmations monthly)

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to MFido

Premium Member

to MFido
said by MFido:

Are you for real? Or, do you work for Telus?

But I thought it was for Rogers.

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed to MFido

Anon

to MFido
said by MFido:

Then something about the Data being reduced ... in line with this: »www.publicmobile.ca/pmco ··· new_data

"excessive amounts of data strain our network"

LOL what a bunch of lying ball licking sad sacks at Telus.

They move you from unlimited data to 1-gig because, "anything over a gig is excessive and can break their network and affect other people".

This goes to show just how bad the Telus network is if 1-gig of data can break it.

That should be front page of every telecom media outlet. "Telus's network can break with 1-gig of data".

Bunch of lying a-holes.

Maybe you should file with the CRTC asking them why 1-gig of data will break the Telus network in this day and age, especially with the amount of money they charge people. Would love to see how Telus dances around those weasel words.

This would make a fun CRTC filing. Maybe i'll do it....
I laffed

I laffed

Anon

Canada's Wireless Carrier Nightmare Continues: Telus Plans to Shut Down Public Mobile
»www.techvibes.com/blog/t ··· 14-03-28

Even a bit of artificial competition appears to be too much for one of Canada’s largest wireless carriers.

Telus is now saying it plans to shut down discount brand Public Mobile, which operates in the Montreal and Toronto areas, starting in May—forcing its 280,000 customers to buy new phones.

Telus, Canada’s second-largest wireless carrier, bought Public Mobile last year after receiving federal government approval in late October. One of Telus’ first moves after acquiring Public Mobile was to raise prices and cut back on data plans. Now, it’s going to shut the brand down. Public Mobile customers, who were notified via text message yesterday, will be migrated to Telus main network beginning in May, a process that’s expected to continue through August.

... SNIP...

While Telus had said it planned to migrate Public Mobile’s customers to the main network, which offers faster speeds, when it acquired the company but at that point there was no indication that the move would require customers to buy new phones or that it had any plans to drop the Public Mobile branding.

The move will give Telus access to Public Mobiles spectrum—which appears to have been one of the primary motivations for the acquisition. ...Continues...

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace

Premium Member

Just curious anybody have seen the selling price ?

280k sub is a lot.

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed to I laffed

Anon

to I laffed
So there you have it. Telus had this plan all along and not once bothered to tell customers, till yesterday, as the spewed weasel words about "service continuity".

So that mom & pop buying the kids low cost phones and data for Xmas? Telus knew those Xmas presents would be garbage 2 months after Xmas.

What a dirt-bag company Telus is. True dirt.
I laffed

I laffed to diskace

Anon

to diskace
I don't think it was made public yet. At least that's what I recall reading.

See Diskace, if you can get into some good wholesale pricing you could pick up these customers

Per the article above it seems these customers were not an issue or thought. Telus planned to just screwing them. It was only the spectrum they wanted.

These are low cost customers they didn't want. And Industry Canada allowed this.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to I laffed

Premium Member

to I laffed
said by I laffed :

....To add insult to injury, then they state "continuity of service" only means you keep your old phone number.

Not one of them, Public or Telus, cared enough about the customer.

In fact, they tricked them and milked them.

Then Telus raises the retail rate of a new phone (artificially inflated the retail cost and value), tells people they will have special pricing on this phone to make it seem like people are getting over 100$ off a new hand-set, which they aren't.

Did I leave anything out?

BILKED, not MILKED
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to nekkidtruth

Premium Member

to nekkidtruth
said by nekkidtruth:

I would consider telling both PM and Telus to take a hike. They obviously don't want your business. Realistically, they could have offered a $0-$50 trade-in program for your old phone knowing they were going to be upping the plan as well and for the simple fact it's not YOUR fault PM went under and Telus doesn't really use CDMA anymore. This to me wreaks of "We...don't really care. Suck it up buttercup." In which case my response to both would be "Suck this up buttercup." as I switched to someone else entirely.

That's just my opinion though.

If that's what Telus is forcing on PM users, then what incentive IS left to stay ?

If you are forced to buy new hardware anyway, then it may as well be from/for another provider.

Why reward Telus for being SLIMY ?

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed

Anon

said by Davesnothere:

If you are forced to buy new hardware anyway, then it may as well be from/for another provider.

I'm sorry, which provider could offer something equivalent for the same price in Montreal for these people? Do Public and Wind have overlapping territories in Ontario? They don't in Quebec.

Let me know when you discover which competition exists for them.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by I laffed :

said by Davesnothere:

I'm sorry, which provider could offer something equivalent for the same price in Montreal for these people? Do Public and Wind have overlapping territories in Ontario? They don't in Quebec.

Let me know when you discover which competition exists for them.

I spoke in principle only - Why give Telus the $$.

Dunno what other service choices exist, unless the Telus version of the PM plans really is good enough to make a person overlook the cost of another phone.

IS it ?

However could pricing their plans too low be part of what killed PM ?

Might be an unrealistic expectation to find more such plans in that case.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to I laffed

Premium Member

to I laffed
said by I laffed :

....Was reading today that WIND is apparently trying to push the gov right now for low roaming/wholesale rates to pick these 260-thousand abused Telus customers that the Harper gov tossed under the bus.

They want to be able to give them a special. Those would have to be significantly low rates to make it worth while and a damn good special. Not sure how wind will pull this off.

But Videotron did with Rogers w/ unlimited data, so it isn't impossible. Gov would just have to fast-track it to make it happen.

I hope this avenue opens to them and they all give Telus the finger.

That would be a decent outcome.