spc
Search similar:

uniqs

winxpuser
@comcast.net

winxpuser

Anon

Win XP sp4?

Will there ever be a final sp4 released before xp goes the way of the dino? if not, how will be able to re-update xp if I should need a reformat or reinstall in the future? Thanks for any helpful info.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Wily_One

Premium Member

said by winxpuser :

Will there ever be a final sp4

No.
said by winxpuser :

how will be able to re-update xp

The slow, tedious way.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus to winxpuser

Premium Member

to winxpuser
Get imaging software. Make a clean install with all the updates at the end of support, image that without a ton of crap on it, and have two copies on different media. It's best if you have a sp3 disk, but you can install sp3 even if you have a gold(no service packs) disk without installing previous service packs.

I'll assume you have oem so you can't transfer it anyway, I bought xp pro retail so I have mine living it's last days in a virtual machine that's easy to backup, along with restore to a previous point. I mostly use it to do things like watch netflix on linux.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to winxpuser

Premium Member

to winxpuser
said by winxpuser :

Will there ever be a final sp4 released before xp goes the way of the dino? if not, how will be able to re-update xp if I should need a reformat or reinstall in the future? Thanks for any helpful info.

Windows XP support will end in April 2014, so you should really upgrade that machine to windows 7 or disconnect it from the internet. You will no longer receive security updates, (or any updates) so you run risks of malicious websites abusing non-patched security flaws. Next up is software companies dropping support, such as the next versions of Firefox an Chrome. Windows XP really already has gone the way of the Dino, the operating system is 12 years old. There will not be a SP4. It's time to dump XP and upgrade.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

2 recommendations

OZO to winxpuser

Premium Member

to winxpuser
Use RyanVM Integrator and make your own installation CD with all updates included. Here is the place, where you can find latest updates, along with integrator - XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack for Windows XP Post-SP3. It's easy to do and I do it all the times, when I want to get latest setup CD. And BTW, don't believe those, who spread the FUD here, that XP is going to be not secure anymore after this April. They just try to sell you a new OS package, which is not more secure than XP and surely way too bloated now (IMHO)...

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

1 recommendation

digitalfutur to winxpuser

Premium Member

to winxpuser
You can get unofficial rollup updates for Win2000 and prior, fully automated. They contain all the security and other updates since the last official MS service pack or last KB update. It's only a matter of time until MS enthusiasts create one for WinXP.

I've installed them for Windows 98 and Windows 2000 without issue.

»www.majorgeeks.com/files ··· _sp.html

»exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo to winxpuser

to winxpuser
said by winxpuser :

how will be able to re-update xp if I should need a reformat or reinstall in the future?

»www.expertreviews.co.uk/ ··· -updates
quote:
We've talked to Microsoft and it has confirmed that all existing security patches and updates for Windows XP will still be available after support officially ends. This means that after the 8th April 2014, you'll still be able to use Windows Update to download all existing security patches.

This is important, as if you re-install Windows XP, you should still apply all of the existing patches in order to make the base operating system as secure as it should be.
I think I read this somewhere else as well. However, I don't think that this will last forever.
(I'm having a hard time updating my Windows 95 - the update function doesn't seem to work).

GILXA1226
MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH

GILXA1226 to digitalfutur

MVM

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

It's only a matter of time until MS enthusiasts create one for WinXP.

Just be careful who you trust. Something like that would scare the crap out of me.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to winxpuser

Premium Member

to winxpuser
I hate MS as much as anyone----

But really:

Windows XP SP4 is called "Windows 7".
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50 to winxpuser

to winxpuser
I have found an older copy of 'WSUS offline update' »download.wsusoffline.net/ that is the last one to support XP and I just let it download all the updates and burned them to CD.
I forget what the final version to support XP was though, unless I am thinking of Win2k.

Actually version 9.0 still supports XP, you just have to click on the 'Legacy products' tab.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

I hate MS as much as anyone----

But really:

Windows XP SP4 is called "Windows 7".

That is actually Vista.
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

said by aurgathor:

That is actually Vista.

*Shutters*
Vista.. I'm never going to go there.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

FYI Win 7 was Vista SP2 for the most part, and after the 3rd party support got on board with the new requirements. The new name made it seem different, but they just changed what it was called. Vista is not a bad os.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

2 recommendations

maartena to winxpuser

Premium Member

to winxpuser
Windows 7 was what windows Vista should have been It fixed a lot of things, and Windows 7 performance is better then Vista, by a lot.

I'm running Windows 8.1 with Start8. The biggest fail in Windows 8 is the metro interface, but with programs like Start8 its easily converted in the classic Windows 7 looking desktop, but you get all the nice new features of 8. (such as the much better task manager, the graphical copy, etc).

Windows 8.1 is really incredibly stable, better then Windows 7 even. It's that metro interface.... that keeps people cringing.