Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

Recommended Fiber Tools

So I'm looking into trying out some fiber termination and seeing if any dealers have classes. But I'm looking to get started with some tools. I'm looking to start with the factory ready to go connectors.

So I'm looking at an Ideal Fiber Optic Stripper, a Visual Fault Finder. I'm looking for recommendations on a cleaver and any other tools you think might be useful for Single Mode fiber.

utsnik
@online.no

utsnik

Anon

Hmm, are you after entry level gear? I would recommend a fujikura 19S, 18S, or a 60S. The last one is more of a professional splicer. Amongs cleavers i like fujikura ct10, ct30 is a bit better and more costly, and the best cleaver i've ever used is the fitel s325a, this is by far the best and quickest, but also the most expensive.

A ct10 or ct30 will do the job more than fine

A good fiber optic stripper is FO103-T-250-J by ripley. Mine has been rock solid for 6 years now, and it even cuts small cable ties

As a visual fault locator any decent one will work, get a 10mw one for longer range. BML-205 should be ok, do a ebay search for this one

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

3 edits

Edrick

Premium Member

Yowyza, Why is the cleaver so expensive? $800+ Curious on that one

As to the visual fault, looks like all sources are from China?

Thoughts on the Fluke VisiFault?

Also looking at this kit, »www.ebay.com/itm/TKT-UNI ··· 2ef60d43
Would a kit like that allow me to not only do Unicam connectors but the quick ones that just require the basic tools?

To answer your question yes just starting out with fiber so looking for a basic kit to get going and experiment.

I'm going to get the »www.ebay.com/itm/Visual- ··· d6b93665

To give it a try, would I just get a SC to LC adapter to test LC with it? What is the benefit of the fluke over the Chinese one?
Edrick

Edrick

Premium Member

So I got the »www.ebay.com/itm/Visual- ··· d6b93665

Which does SC, ST, FC. Should I just get a short like 1m fiber cable to adapt from those to LC or anyone recommend an adapter to use at the end of the tool?
themagicone
join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

themagicone to Edrick

to Edrick
Just get a Corning kit - »www.fiberoptic.com/itemd ··· C+%26+LC

Just need to make sure to buy Unicam ends. I've done probably 50-60 ends with my kit and it works great.

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

I'm in the process of acquiring a UniCam kit I met with the corning guy a few weeks ago. But that's a few months out. The hand tool for the visual fault will still be good for checking fiber pairs to make sure I've got the right one. Although I know the UniCam comes with an adapter but I'd like to get something I can use to convert from ST/SC/FS to LC for now, so I don't know if a patch cord is the best option or if there's an adapter.
themagicone
join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

themagicone

Most VFL are universal. The tip will fit into any type of connector.