spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jgroce
@comcast.net

jgroce

Anon

[Speed] Upgrade to Extreme 105 - Questions / Advice

So like most I have tried to call the number on the letter for the free upgrade. I'm not eligible for the upgrade since I'm only HSI. I waited until after March 22nd just in case they upgraded everyone on blast... they didn't. I chatted with "Chris" (fake generic name) from Comcast and he offered $89 per month of the Extreme 105 but said there's a $250 pro install charge.

I thought I could handle paying $90 for 105(205~305) if they increase the speed. (Chris said if they change the Extreme 105 speeds my account would also upgrade) The installers in the past have not really been "up" on what's going on with my network. They plug stuff in and call a number. I can't see paying $250 for a dude to come to my house and call in my existing MAC address for new provisioning. (I have blast now, Motorola 6121, Asus rt-68ac router)

When I look online I see the $89 package and a $35 dollar install charge. That's better but working Monday ~ Friday 8~5 leave only Saturday... assuming do Saturday. Also, assuming that's not some magical price for new customers only.

Has anyone had experience with getting them to not charge the pro install fee and just change it over in the system? My thoughts were to do the online upgrade, pick a day for install, call tech support and see if they would upgrade the config for the modem to the new package. If so, cancel the "pro install". What do you think? would that work?

I also see a blast plus economy TV package for $54 for 12 months that includes my blast + tv. Wondering if I switched to that if I would then be considered for the free extreme upgrade.

With the new speeds coming soon, if I do a 12 month $89 package (or $54 with TV) would they upgrade my speeds automatically if that tier changes or when the new speeds come about? Or would I be stuck on the slower speed for 12 months?

gwbuffalo
join:2001-12-08
Mokena, IL

gwbuffalo

[Speed] Re: Upgrade to Extreme 105 - Questions / Advice

Call Comcast, ask for the retentions department and tell them what you'd like and then report back here.

jgroce
@comcast.net

jgroce

Anon

Any special number for Sundays? Says closed when I call the normal one.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder to jgroce

to jgroce
Since everyone on triple play is getting upgraded with no truck roll, it doesn't make sense that you would need to pay for a pro install. Look like you got an agent who might not be informed.

Try calling a sales agent don't use chat.

mahicks
join:2001-06-20
Tallahassee, FL

mahicks

I wish that was the case. They told me the EXACT same thing SEVERAL times via chat and on the phone over the past few weeks.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

Did they explain why if people getting the free upgrade don't need a truck roll?

mahicks
join:2001-06-20
Tallahassee, FL

mahicks

No they did not. I tried a couple of times with that line of questioning and they just stuck to their guns and said I wasn't available for that promotional offer and I would have to pay the setup fee and the additional full monthly charge.

I didn't push really hard because If they do not do an upgrade on me in the next couple of months I am going to push hard with retention to either drop the fee or I will drop them and go with century link. Yuck I know but I am willing to do it at least for awhile out of principle.

richdelb
Go Hawks Go
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Algonquin, IL

1 recommendation

richdelb to jgroce

Premium Member

to jgroce
When the news stories of Comcast upgrading some users to 105 service I did an "on line" chat with Comcast to ask if I was able to get the free upgrade. I was told that I was not. Not believing the person that I chatted with, I called Comcast and spoke with a friendly person who said I could not get the free upgrade but I COULD upgrade my service if I wanted to. I was told that I needed a truck roll to run new lines and I'd need a new modem even though I already have a DOSIS 3.0 modem. The install was going to cost me $250 MINIMUM if I wanted the service upgraded. I said, thanks but no thanks, I'd keep my 50 MB service (with which I was speed testing at 57MB).

Several weeks passed and I get a letter in the mail from Comcast saying that I am eligible for a free upgrade and to call them if I was interested. I did and about 4 hours later I rebooted my cable modem and was getting about 92MB down and 22 MB up.

Purchased a new Netgear router (old router was giving me issues for a long time anyway with wireless) and I am pulling 115MB down and 23 MB up consistently. Also pulling 85mb down on my iPad 4.

All this with no truck roll, no new equipment, no $250 minimum install fee.

I am very happy with the new speeds, not so happy with Comcast not really being able to tell me the truth when I called.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to Zoder

Premium Member

to Zoder
said by Zoder:

Since everyone on triple play is getting upgraded with no truck roll, it doesn't make sense that you would need to pay for a pro install. Look like you got an agent who might not be informed.

Try calling a sales agent don't use chat.

Who he spoke to was the bot from Comcast.com that was just giving him pricing from Comcast.com nothing more lol