uniqs
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC

GraysonPeddi

GNOME Shell 3.10 in Arch Linux: Zoomed Out Glitch Or What Is It?

Click for full size
Gear shows up in the lower-left corner of the screen. No text shadows and power button at the top.
Click for full size
Try to search for something like LibreOffice and you won't see all the results and all the icons are squashed together.
Click for full size
Everything is back to normal after a reboot.
Excuse my vague subject, but it's the best that I can come up with due to the screenshots that I would like to present. By "glitch," top half of a gear showed up in the lower left corner, there's no text shadow for the top panel, icons are moved to the left being so close together, I can't see the search bar in the activity screen, and the power button is hidden so I cannot log out of my system, so the only way is to open a terminal (which I gladly added to the launcher) and type "reboot" to reboot my system so everything goes back to normal.

Are there any solutions that can resolve the glitch?

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

Did you upgrade from another version of GNOME? If you did, there was most likely something in the gconf settings that was messing things up.

If not the above, was this a fresh install? What type of hardware are you using? Are you using proprietary or open-source drivers?
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
Tallahassee, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC

GraysonPeddi

It's a fresh install with an empty /home partition.

Maybe I should mention that I did change the scaling-factor in org.gnome.desktop.interface. My 47" monitor is connected to my Marantz SR-5008 audio/video receiver via HDMI, so GNOME Shell detected my monitor as 7" (seven inches), which is very weird. Maybe changing the scaling-factor had something to do with the glitch above, which I'm not getting right now maybe until the next reboot or two. Setting the scale-factor to 0 makes the font and GUI way too huge and almost unusable, so I've fixed my problem by setting it to 1.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

Did you change the scaling directly through the Dconf config editor or through a terminal command? 3.8 and 3.10 are exceptionally finicky about their settings for some reason.

I didn't see if you tried this, but did you ALT+F2 and type 'r' to restart the shell after you made the changes? If you didn't. sometimes GNOME 3.10 goes ape crap crazy.
GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie
Tallahassee, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC

1 edit

GraysonPeddi

dconf-editor. Changing scaling is done automatically.

Perhaps GNOME 3.12 might be better as I think they may have added a restriction that if my display resolution's height is less than 1,200 pixels, HiDPI will not be enabled, but since GNOME 3.10 states that I have a 7" display as detected in the Settings->Display window, GNOME might scale the GUI and text to accommodate the screen size, but I have a 47" monitor.

Does scaling factor have anything to do with the glitch as shown in my screenshot in my first post?