spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BoominTempo
@sbcglobal.net

BoominTempo

Anon

NVG589 U-Verse install questions...

So I just got U-Verse TV and internet and have been pretty happy with it! I've been snooping around my broadband settings and noticed that while I only signed up for 6 megabit internet, they've me set up for a dual 12.6 megabit connection? Running speed tests nets me around 7 megabits (via wifi)...Looks like I have the potential for around 45 megabits according to the graph?

Is there a way for me to unlock that speed shown in the graph, or do I have to call ATT and pay for them to upgrade my speed?

Thanks!

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705

Premium Member

No. You would have to call AT&T to increase your speeds. The extra speed you have been provisioned for is used for the TV service.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

Did install tech. mention your line distance (to the VRAD)? If it's only been a day or three and he left a number, you can still call and ask.

How'd you score a NVG589? Seems a bit unusual to deploy 589 in your case. Didn't need two pairs, even up to Max Turbo. Did you ask for it specifically? Does your online AT&T account show Power tier as an upgrade choice available to you?

Perhaps they're actually doing the right thing now and (for TV at least?) being more free with 589 so you are ready and waiting to trivially upgrade to Power and future higher tiers?

BoominTempo
@sbcglobal.net

BoominTempo

Anon

I was not here for the install, my wife was. But she was watching a 2.5 year old and a 6 mo old, so she was busy! The tech didn't mention how far away we are, but I imagine it's right down the street since they had to re-run the line or whatever.

I didn't ask for the NVG589, I guess he thought we needed it? When I check online if I want to upgrade my internet, they only offer up to 18 megabits...I'm thinking their online is wrong about the speeds I can handle, when clearly the picture shows 45 megabits.

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to brookeKrige

Premium Member

to brookeKrige
said by brookeKrige:

Did install tech. mention your line distance (to the VRAD)? If it's only been a day or three and he left a number, you can still call and ask.

How'd you score a NVG589? Seems a bit unusual to deploy 589 in your case. Didn't need two pairs, even up to Max Turbo. Did you ask for it specifically? Does your online AT&T account show Power tier as an upgrade choice available to you?

Perhaps they're actually doing the right thing now and (for TV at least?) being more free with 589 so you are ready and waiting to trivially upgrade to Power and future higher tiers?

I think it is for TV service. 12607Kbps down would limit the number of HD streams that would be available. I'm assuming this setup will allow for 3HD/1SD streams.

BoominTempo
@sbcglobal.net

BoominTempo

Anon

You got it! I have three HD streams, and 6 megabit internet.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige to j1349705

to j1349705
Yet they didn't need to split the 25/2 profile into 12607Kbps per pair. IMO those stats are easily good enough for exact same 25/2 profile total as now (for full HD TV plus internet), ON JUST ONE PAIR. So why the NVG589?

I presume his distance is recorded as over 2200 feet, and/or the recorded wire gauge of his pairs is wrong, so AT&T's system is too stupid to know it could be selling him Power, despite it technically appearing to be a slam dunk.

With a NVG589 plus those stats, they should also be trying to sell him Max Turbo on just ONE pair (seeing as 2-pair 32M profile has "issues"). How far would noise margin drop for that?

my thoughts

Anon

With line attenuation over 42 OP loop length is around 3600 feet (+-10%) at that distance auto

General observations is loop length is around 90% of line attenuation.

As distance requires bonded pair, OP scores the 589 RG (it is either that or 3812 inid)
SN margin looks good, because not asking for much to be placed through line, if this was single pair SN would be 11 or less.

Restriction on bonded long loop profile is 25, with 18M Max Plus internet as best available and 1SD/3HD for TVs.

BoominTempo
@sbcglobal.net

BoominTempo

Anon

Thanks my thoughts, that makes sense!!!