Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

You Can Now Pre-Order The WRT1900AC For $249.99!

I just saw this on my Facebook feed. You can pre-order the WRT1900AC for $249.99 (regular price shows as $279.99) with an estimated ship date of April 13 with Free Shipping at:

»store.linksys.com/Linksy ··· T%203/23
lordpuffer

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Am going to wait for reviews, however, if they are good reviews, I'm going to get this puppy.

Why doesn't Linksys sell an ac adapter for a Mac? I have a Mac that I would like to use wirelessly with this router (on the 5GHz band), but I cannot find an ac adapter on Linksys' site that is compatible with a Mac. Am I missing something?
mywisp
join:2014-03-17
United State

mywisp to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
The good old WRT, in a new shell + AC technology.

One thing I've noticed with AC routers these days is they get warm real fast. So you really need to have a cool room or area to put this in.

Expand your moderator at work

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

1 recommendation

pende_tim to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer

Re: You Can Now Pre-Order The WRT1900AC For $249.99!

In 6 months it will be $149.99 and rev 2.0 will be out on the firmware.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

1 recommendation

PeeWee to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
God bless early adopters.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Here is the first review that I've read:

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· r-review

Thoughts?
lordpuffer

1 recommendation

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Here's a good review. A PCWorld reviewer called it faster than the ASUS RT-AC68U and also faster than anything that they have tested (but lacking in as many features as the ASUS):

»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· ted.html
samurai123
join:2007-07-15
Sioux Falls, SD

2 recommendations

samurai123 to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
I'm in "wait and watch" mode for now before I decide my next router purchase. I'm looking forward to RT-AC87U release. This router could be a good competitive comparison for routers like WRT1900ac.

I've been burnt earlier by the Cisco-Linksys fiasco product EA4200v2 which is also based on Marvell SoC. I'm not really excited about Belkin-Linksys combo either.

These reviews could be biased but do help to get some product insights to some extent. Per one of the reviews at least, this router could get OpenWRT firmware by end of this month so that will be interesting to see opensource firmware making use of the router's design.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Very interested in the WRT1900AC for my next replacement. I am watching as well myself. Still using a Linksys E4200 v1 with Tomato firmware. Beastly router to this day considering age with 3rd party firmware.

sniperboyz
join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA

sniperboyz to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
WRT1900AC already in stock at best buy. I just saw it today. Go get it!!! lol

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

You are late to the party my friend. Best Buy has had it since 4/13.

Like I said, I'm going to wait until many more reviews are in before I "go get it."

sniperboyz
join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA
Technicolor CGM4331
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

sniperboyz

Oh lol I didn't notice that. I've not been shopping as much but I surprised it was out last Sunday. Hope WRT1900AC doing better than other router but it have been reviewed on small net builder website. Check it there if you havent seen their review about that.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

If anyone has purchased this router, could you please give us a brief review of it? I've seen the reviews on Linksys' website and on Amazon, but one by someone here would still be helpful. Thanks.

jaysona
join:2000-03-22
Montreal, QC
Asus RT-AC68
Linksys WRT1900AC
Asus RT-AC66

1 recommendation

jaysona

I picked up this puppy a couple of weeks ago, was hoping to have it up and running by now, but work is keeping me busier than expected. :-\

I did unbox it last night, played around for a few minutes, the unit is physically larger and heavier than I expected, feels really solid compared to the wrt54g's & wrt600n's I currently use.

I couldn't managed to wring more than 15w out of it lats night - didn't do much to stress it either, typical load was 12w - 13w over ~90 mins of usage.

I don't care for the ajax interface all that much, lot's of prettiness that does not seem to serve much of a purpose other than being pretty for pretty's sake. :-\

I tried to get the initial config going via rj45 ethernet, dhcp address was provided, but couldn't access the router admin page, had to access it via the wifi connection, didn't like that either.

I haven't done much else yet, plan on doing some more this weekend - time permitting. Is there anything in particular you're interested in knowing about?

One thing about the router that has me a little concerned is the small heatsink & fan - this leads me to believe that it could be noisy during certain usage scenarios.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks for the information. The thing that I and probably a lot of people who are on the fence want to know is it's speed (especially if you have any ac devices), coverage strength and stability of the firmware (since there is nothing open source for it yet).

Once you get it running pretty consistently, if you could post about that I would appreciate it. I'm trying to decide between this router and waiting for the ASUS Monster which is not yet available, the RT-AC87U.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
Ngo over at CNET did a review, he covers most of the features and does mention the fan not running. »www.cnet.com/products/li ··· -router/

Frankly I am still concerned about their choice of chipset, the lack of open sourced drivers for the radio, and the difficultly OpenWRT has had in getting Linksys/Belkin to provide the information which would lead to the development of 3rd party firmware.

jaysona
join:2000-03-22
Montreal, QC
Asus RT-AC68
Linksys WRT1900AC
Asus RT-AC66

jaysona

Ya, I'm a little concerned about the lack of open source support as this point in time as well. Unfortunately I committed to my pre-order quite some time ago - locking me in to a cheaper price too.

The upside to this is that even if OpenWRT support doesn't arrive for months to come, I do have other uses for it in its current configuration.

I have no ac devices at the moment, but I know people who do, so I'll be enlisting their help for testing as well, some of which will be wireless streaming of media over my 50Mbps connection.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

1 recommendation

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Its a tough call, we know that Linksys tends to cut the parts whenever they reversion the hardware often reducing RAM and ROM making the earlier hardware versions more desirable. On the flip side of things they could change the chipset to a different vendor which offers open drivers, or us an OS that is proprietary.

Whatever happens I suspect the OEM firmware will be stable and feature rich enough to keep most people happy. For the knob fiddlers and turners however they will have to wait and see, hopefully OpenWRT will be given what the need and then even better firmware will be available.

Who knows, if they really castrate the next version, your original router might increase in value.