spc
Search similar:

uniqs
courty3210
join:2004-03-29
Wilmington, DE

courty3210

My FiOS is $68/month now, come vent with me

I have verizon fios internet service (no TV or Phone) in wilmington, de, it's the 15/5 (lowest internet tier) $68/month, is it time to switch to comcast?

I have the $13/month TV package w/Comcast. i wish FiOS had a low tier option something in the $35 range.
hszeto (banned)
join:2002-06-05

hszeto (banned)

What is Comcast offering in your area?
vulgate
join:2012-01-27

vulgate to courty3210

to courty3210
Even though fios is available in my area, I still have Verizon DSL 3 mbps for $30/month. If I switched to Internet-only Fios, I'd pay twice that much.
phibs
join:2012-09-25
Newark, DE

2 recommendations

phibs to courty3210

to courty3210
If you can get FIOS.... you should be happy.... Another $20/mo and you get 75/35. The service is fantastic and quality is good. Switch to Comcast if you want suck internet.

SoCalDude
join:2008-07-30
Oxnard, CA

SoCalDude to courty3210

to courty3210
FIOS just isn't a good value when subscribing to just one service. Double plays and triple plays are where the way better values are at. I have 15/5(25/5 actual speeds) + Prime TV for $80/month.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

1 recommendation

patt2k

said by SoCalDude:

FIOS just isn't a good value when subscribing to just one service. Double plays and triple plays are where the way better values are at. I have 15/5(25/5 actual speeds) + Prime TV for $80/month.

You forgot to include taxes/rental fees etc.. I will be a ctually dropping TV in a year.

I pay 7.99$ stb rental , 5.99$ cable card , taxes around 13$

13+7.99+5.99$ just for having TV service.
gabmasterjcc
join:2003-09-08
Fairfax, VA

gabmasterjcc to courty3210

to courty3210
This doesn't necessarily help you, but in my area adding the local channels actually makes the plan cheaper with FiOS. It might be worth a check for you. Then you could cancel the Comcast as well if the TV package is good enough. Just an idea to look into.
KGB7
join:2003-12-17
Rockville, MD

2 recommendations

KGB7 to courty3210

to courty3210
Just use your imagination to surf the webs, its free.

/sarcasm
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to courty3210

to courty3210
You can do an unpublished two play and pay less.
I was paying $75 for 50/25 + SelectHD which is much more than broadcast. Add $5 (or $6) now for a CC and you are good.

FiOS in my are still sends broadcast in clearQAM so you can use TV w/ a QAM tuner or an old skool Silicondust HDHR. No monthly fee there. You can add a sling server and get live TV on tablets or a vulkano and go w/ a network DVR.

There are MANY ways you can save big bucks, you just have to fiddle around a tad.

I think you would be surprised on the two play deals they will give, especially if you tell them you are going to Comcast.

I would at least negotiate up to 50/25--they are "giving" that away these days. See if they will throw in HBO or Showtime for a year.

In my last "discussion" with them I received HBO for free, and they just comped me Showtime for 6 months for free.

I have found they don't like to go down on price, however you can get stuff added in if you try.

If you are a single 15/5 customer, there is no room for them to wiggle, you get that right?

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to SoCalDude

Premium Member

to SoCalDude
said by SoCalDude:

FIOS just isn't a good value when subscribing to just one service.

It depends. I'm getting hooked up tomorrow morning with 75/35 for $69/mo - Internet only.
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

pittpete1 to courty3210

to courty3210
I'm paying $40 for 6mb/1mb from Frontier.
I'll trade with you

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Thinkdiff to courty3210

MVM,

to courty3210
I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think you'll get much empathy on this forum.

I just signed up a family member on Time Warner's $14.99 plan, and frankly, it's great. That's less money than I used to pay for dial-up internet more than 15 years ago and it's a solid 2Mbps connection. Good enough for basic streaming video, email, etc.

They previously had Verizon DSL at 1Mbps for $35/month so it was a no-brainer. Now that FiOS is available in the area, there's zero chance of switching back because Verizon has priced themselves out of the low-end market, which I guess they don't mind.

In general, there are very few if any options for stand alone internet service under $35.

ctaranto
join:2011-12-14
MA

ctaranto to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
said by Noah Vail:

said by SoCalDude:

It depends. I'm getting hooked up tomorrow morning with 75/35 for $69/mo - Internet only.

I dropped TV and phone and have plain internet (75/35) for $79/month. Based on the reliability and speeds greater than advertised, it's worth it (to me). No fees, either.

If they could only get the Netflix thing fixed....
courty3210
join:2004-03-29
Wilmington, DE

courty3210 to elefante72

to elefante72
unfortunately FiOS doesn't do TV in my area, just internet. i would love some clear QAM
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok to courty3210

to courty3210
If you use internet just afterhours for email and such, then getting it from an entertainment company is probably fine. But, if you cannot tolerate any amount of downtime and 3 days to fix issues, then the traditional phone companies are better. Just my simplistic view forged in trial and error. Getting mega bits of bandwidth is worth nothing if its not always on.
patt2k

patt2k to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
said by Noah Vail:

said by SoCalDude:

69/mo for 1 year then you will pay 20-25$ more and still be on contract.

sirslayer
join:2006-05-17
Hesperia, CA

sirslayer to courty3210

to courty3210
hummmm.... the Verizon gods were happy with me today !! I just renewed my 2 year fios contract!!!

Services and Discounts Monthly Amount
Existing Triple Play $57.99
Verizon Freedom Essentials

FiOS TV Local Service

FiOS Internet 15/5

$25 Bundle 24 Mo. Credit Included

Existing Federal Lifeline Credit -$9.25
Existing State Lifeline credit -$9.55
Existing FiOS Quantum 50/25 Upgrade $10.00
Existing Home Monitoring and Control Fee Waived
Estimated Monthly Subtotal $49.19
Taxes, Fees and Other Verizon Charges (see detail) $8.60
Estimated Monthly Charges $57.79
patt2k

patt2k

said by sirslayer:

hummmm.... the Verizon gods were happy with me today !! I just renewed my 2 year fios contract!!!

FiOS TV Local Service

FiOS Internet 15/5

I want to do similar thing with Local TV in a year. Do you need STB
for Local TV ? what if I didn't even bother watching local TV but just did it for the 2 year price.

Let me know thanks!

SoCalDude
Oxnard, CA

SoCalDude to sirslayer

to sirslayer
said by sirslayer:

FiOS TV Local Service

FiOS Internet 15/5

Hello, since you only have local TV, do you still get 25/5 on your 15/5 package?

sirslayer
Hesperia, CA

sirslayer

well before I explained lets explore the 10 years history I have with Verizon which started when Verizon took over Contel in my area and then my copper phone service provider is now Verizon.. I got a real good phone package from contel that Verizon had to honored and with life line added my copper line is saving me money. even though it had no long distance and not even caller id, the basic service became the heart of a 13 dollar a month service that evolved into a fios package that still includes the heart. The DSL era was in 10 years ago (well for my area) and aol was getting old and the idea having a dedicated internet line would be cool. Even though aol had it quarks but having your phone line being taken up, (no phone calls) the aol service kinda sucked... but then aol got better (ver7.0) and other dial up providers (how can you ever forget netzero free dailup service!! ) mp3 and voip was born and virtual answer machines (like aol service they offered where you can intercept calls while "online") I felt that the internet was here and will stay. Verizon DSL made it possible for the phone and internet service to be on a common media and can be used at the same time but separate billing... the art of what to bundled and not to bundled from Verizon was concept to get the best and required media to my home.. I cant really help you guys with my best ways which your own current billing is different from mine and if it comes down to it .... location really matters and availability of technology!!! these factors varies time to time and its kinda like short of gambling when to predict which markets will excel or decline. If copper line is still avail at your new location or currently using it, stick with it and never end it services to the best you can, even though fios is the main transport, the copper line to the ont is still under grandfathered laws and deductions. In my area that's important and thats how you would start off and next the internet service and finally the tv ..... tv competition is still strong in my area so thats why im on cheap basic tv service (12 a month) from Verizon.. Some areas from the other side of America have 3 dollars basic fios tv when added to a double play with internet...So you can see that starting a base from basic phone or basic tv varies from your location and which of the two to start from can also hinges from other factors what I thought before that the Verizon Internet prices doesn't varies and fios double package with internet with a tv or phone service would be in your best interest because it would allow a 3 party service provider to cover phone or tv service to your fios!! If you are payimg 68 a month for basic fios internet..!??! if you can find out if you can be on copper phone service (not digital) or see if basic tv fios service that's is dollars cheap. a double package with your Fios internet might be cheaper!! I dont recommend to get a fios triple because it would lock you in the highest cost per service and covered it up with fifty percent HBO...... After 6 years with dsl and 2 with fios double play I upgraded to a triple package serviced because the Verizon Gods unlocked the cheap fios basic tv service to unite the all ready affordable phone and internet service. after 10 years of service to Verizon I earned my wings!!

update: I just added the 75/35 fios internet upgrade for 10 dollars more a month... I cant wait when they would offer HBO for 10 a month or something equal .. the 75/35 is on a month trial... and starts today (4/10/14) and my bill will be just over 67 a month.... wow what a deal unlimited long distance phone service with call assistance and internet voice message. 75/35megs fios internet service that includes Home Control service (cameras security with email,text,phone notifications internet DVR and also lights, locks and zwave devices thats controled by a Secured Gateway that you pair with the Verizon Router/Modem setup. Last but not least The fios basic tv service.. maybe one day it will grow into a 300 channel tv monster for under 30 a month??? I hooked up my Fios cable into my modified Dell 2950 server (i installed a basic digital tv tuner card (cheap)) and now the trumpets I have HD basic channels content!! My fios tv only came with a sd stb (i wish i got the HD box at the time) with no monthly charge and still without a box you can have redbox ,netflex or Verizon internet tv/movies deal pipe to your computer , tablet or cell phone screen!!
sirslayer

sirslayer to SoCalDude

to SoCalDude
my fios internet tiers is 15/5 50/25 and now 75/35.. funny that i don't have a 300/150 option.. if i log out of my Verizon account from the web and go back to the Verizon webpage if like i was a new customer and use my neighbor address when you need to enter a location and start building a bundle from scratch why does my neighbor have a better bundle builder exp 300/150 add ons and yet the pricing would be near the same .. they don't even have a ont and they are on charter cable... and what odd is that they would be on digital phone if they converted to fios and would be on a higher tier for internet. they would pay more per month if compared to a even package but they would get 300/150... i dont even have that on my bundle builder
sirslayer

sirslayer to patt2k

to patt2k
i got the sd box for free... and rent it to my roommate ((shhh))) any digital tv tuner for computers or a few apps or even a webpage will play HD content as long its covered under your basic fios tv service exp FOX TV haves apps, webpages you can view HD content but HBO apps and webpage wont work since you aint subscribe, but it does work when they do have their "free" promos
patt2k

patt2k

said by sirslayer:

i got the sd box for free... and rent it to my roommate ((shhh))) any digital tv tuner for computers or a few apps or even a webpage will play HD content as long its covered under your basic fios tv service exp FOX TV haves apps, webpages you can view HD content but HBO apps and webpage wont work since you aint subscribe, but it does work when they do have their "free" promos

but was the SD STB needed what I mean required for the Local TV package?

sirslayer
Hesperia, CA

sirslayer

i dont know, ask a question in the verizon direct forum would give you an anwser

phurchuluh_a
@verizon.net

phurchuluh_a to patt2k

Anon

to patt2k
said by patt2k:

but was the SD STB needed what I mean required for the Local TV package?

No, the SD STB is not required to watch local TV package. HD TV set will decode all open channels which are included in the Local TV package. I have that package too. Working without STB.
Verizon router is not required either if you connect your own dual band router to ONT via Ethernet port (not coaxial)

Cobra9777
Pain Is Just Weakness Leaving The Body
join:2002-09-28
Denton, TX

Cobra9777 to courty3210

to courty3210
I recently cut all services except internet. I was going to put up an antenna for locals and use Netflix for everything else. As an existing customer, it was going to cost $79.99/mo for 50/25. However, by adding the local broadcast TV tier, the cost went down to $74.99 and avoided the hassle and expense of putting up an antenna. Works for me (especially since I am 35-40 miles away from broadcast towers).

However, this still feels "pricey" for what I get. Internet alone from FiOS is just not a good deal. They want to be a content provider, not just a pipeline for Netflix and cheap VoIP. But having suffered through the reliability issues with cable and DSL in the past, I'll pay it. I value the stability and reliability of FTTH.

ctaranto
join:2011-12-14
MA

ctaranto to patt2k

to patt2k
said by patt2k:

That's simply not true. The contract is a price guarantee, at least in my case, for 2 years.

Off contract is $94/month (again, for my area).

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by ctaranto:

said by patt2k:

That's simply not true. The contract is a price guarantee, at least in my case, for 2 years.

Off contract is $94/month (again, for my area).

He's basically right. I go from $69-$89 in a year.
It's still cheaper than the $110 I was paying Bright House for 100/10.
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona to gabmasterjcc

to gabmasterjcc
gabmasterjcc indicated that leaving local-only package in his bundle actually reduced the Internet portion of FiOS. I second that. I wanted to turn off cable entirely, and it nearly DOUBLED the cost of the Internet. I had no choice but to leave 'local-only' as the video portion of the bundle, and it cut the cost in half. Bundling is the only way to go, even if you're not going to use the service at all (CATV portion). Weird, I know...

SoCalDude
Oxnard, CA

SoCalDude to courty3210

to courty3210
50/25 + Local TV + HBO $50/month

»www.verizon.com/home/MLP ··· b0FBQUFW

Found the deal here
»slickdeals.net/f/6859072 ··· 50-month