AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

[Photos] Totalled?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Wife was in an accident with her 2006 Honda Civic which T-Boned a Ford Expedition with a driver that decided they didn't need to wait for oncoming traffic to be cleared before turning left. Impact was at about 40MPH. All things considered, the damage isn't too bad, but given the age of the car, I think it'll easily cross the threshold into totaled status. Car is worth about $6500 and the insurance company has a threshold of about 40%.

Engine bay is intact, and the car runs and drives (at least for a few feet), no fluids dripping, however coolant was found on the engine, so there's a leak somewhere. From what I can tell it would need a new right fender, possibly left fender, hood front bumper, radiator, 1 possibly 2 headlight assemblies, and a engine mount. Wheel wells look not impacted.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

That impact was 40 MPH?!?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
Any interior damage? Airbag deployment?

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to nightdesigns

MVM

to nightdesigns
I would say minimum 2500.00 to get it back on the road.

Also, that sure looks slower than 40 mph to me.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

Speed in that area was 40 minus whatever the brakes did to slow the car before impact. I'm surprised there wasn't more damage as well. Air bags did not deploy, although the seatbelt lock did. My wife is petite which may have been a factor in the air bags not deploying as well.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Airbags work mainly off of sensors located in line with the bumper system and are usually designed to detect severe deceleration frontal impacts above 10mph to 20mph, depending on how much crush structure exists between the occupants and the front of the vehicle. Below the target speed the system relies on the seatbelt system and expendable crush structure. One problem with that system is that impacts such as yours, into a high riding SUV, results in the impact forces pushing down on the hood area above the sensors. Your effectively ride under the other vehicle. You can have a severe impact in which the airbags may not deploy. With certain car designs you could scrape off the entire hood and the tops of the fenders and not have the bags deploy. I suspect your wife's braking and the car's nose dive under the other vehicle combined to prevent airbag deployment. Your wife's size probably had little to do with the deploy or not deploy result.
theboz1419
join:2003-02-12
Puyallup, WA

theboz1419 to nightdesigns

to nightdesigns
As long as there is no frame damage, I doubt it would be totaled. But, who knows with the cost to get stuff fixed these days.

I too have a 2006 Civic EX and I love the car. But its a magnet for other cars. in the last year I have been rear ended 2 times and just yesterday I noticed the last repair of the bumper cover has a crack in the left side tire well. So back to the shop for another cover Monday

byebyebye
@optonline.net

byebyebye to nightdesigns

Anon

to nightdesigns
I would call that totaled,

Needs headlights, P fender, grill, bumper, hood, rad support maybe, could have AC damage, and paint...

Go onto car-part.com and look up the parts you need... on the lowside that's the part price + paint time.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to nightdesigns

to nightdesigns

No way to know from a picture. It needs to be properly measured and inspected from underneath as well. Frame damage can be very well concealed, but shows up once the frame gauges are applied.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
scrap yard....
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to nightdesigns

to nightdesigns
If it is totalled only because of todays inflated prices. If no frame damage or other hidden damage that ia not horrible. How many miles on the car. I would prefer my own car fixed to someones used car replacing it.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
Vehicle's are totaled at 80% or so of their value.

If no damage to radiator support I'd say it's repairable. But it's going to be border line. I'd guess at $3500 in damages.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood to nightdesigns

to nightdesigns
My guess is that it would be totaled. Probably 3k in body parts, paint and labor and another 500-1k for finding and fixing the engine coolant or freon leak. Freon is green so it could be freon or coolant. If there is damage to the frame and/or suspension, thats even more money. And once the frame/suspension of a car is damaged, it usually never runs exactly the same as it did, even with the amount of technology these days. After figuring a rental car for probably a week and a half or two while it is getting fixed, they might just want to cut you a check ASAP and avoid all the hassle and potential hidden damages. And I am thinking the threshold is more near 75% then 40%.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
said by nightdesigns:

My wife is petite which may have been a factor in the air bags not deploying as well.

Passenger seats in many cars have sensors to detect if someone is seated in the seat or not, and will disable the passenger airbags if it doesn't sense someone there.

That being said:

1) There are no such sensors in the driver's seat, because that seat will always be occupied while the car is being driven.

2) The weight threshold to activate the passenger airbags is such that even a child's weight will be enough to activate the airbags.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

Heard back from the body shop and it is going to be repaired. Most of the damage was cosmetic and all of the major components (engine, drive train, suspension) were pretty much untouched. The radiator was pushed back, but had no damage to it (just the mount). The A/C fan on the back of it was damaged along with some of the tubing for the A/C so that's being replaced. Everything else is pretty much body panels and body work.

Total is $6,400. I guess MetLife thinks the car is worth much more than I do because they chose to repair it. The body shop is part of a Honda dealership so I anticipate decent work to be done.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by nightdesigns:

Heard back from the body shop and it is going to be repaired. Most of the damage was cosmetic and all of the major components (engine, drive train, suspension) were pretty much untouched. The radiator was pushed back, but had no damage to it (just the mount). The A/C fan on the back of it was damaged along with some of the tubing for the A/C so that's being replaced. Everything else is pretty much body panels and body work.

Total is $6,400. I guess MetLife thinks the car is worth much more than I do because they chose to repair it. The body shop is part of a Honda dealership so I anticipate decent work to be done.

Please demand OEM Honda parts be put on the car and not chinsy aftermarket parts
raythompsontn
join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN

raythompsontn

said by billydunwood:

Please demand OEM Honda parts be put on the car and not chinsy aftermarket parts

Generally in many states the insurance company will not provide OEM parts for a vehicle that is more than two years old. You can demand OEM parts but you may have to pay the difference. The insurance company can even get salvage parts. I fought that battle a couple of times and the results were the same. No insurance paid OEM parts for vehicles more than two years old.

Given a choice between third party parts and salvage parts I would opt for the salvage parts as those parts were probably originally OEM.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by raythompsontn:

said by billydunwood:

Generally in many states the insurance company will not provide OEM parts for a vehicle that is more than two years old. You can demand OEM parts but you may have to pay the difference. The insurance company can even get salvage parts. I fought that battle a couple of times and the results were the same. No insurance paid OEM parts for vehicles more than two years old.

Given a choice between third party parts and salvage parts I would opt for the salvage parts as those parts were probably originally OEM.

Oh I know. I would request salvage parts. I have fought the battle, and luckily won both times. But when insurance companies give incentives for body shops to use aftermarket parts and allow extra time to "trim" aftermarket parts to fit the vehicle, I know its definitely not the same quality as OEM
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

tcope to raythompsontn

Premium Member

to raythompsontn
said by raythompsontn:

You can demand OEM parts but you may have to pay the difference. The insurance company can even get salvage parts.

Technically salvage parts are OEM parts. Just now newer then the part they replaced.