Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena

Re: Are there any serious contenders?

said by maartena:

So at this moment gmail is actually one of the better solutions for privacy.

How can you say that? Google reads all Gmail partly to insert personalized ads which makes gmail the WORST POSSIBLE email client as there is ZERO privacy when using Gmail. There is not even any privacy for unsuspecting NON Gmail users who naively send email to Gmail users! There are current lawsuits (just denied class action status) against Google for reading AND STORING FOREVER any mail coming to a despicable Gmail recipient from a non Gmail naive sender.

I rarely use email for anything other than list servs and to get Microsoft bulletins, etc. I no longer communicate with others via email because of Gmail and the fact that some Gmail users are so especially despicable as to hide the fact that all their email addresses go into Gmail so the user cannot trust that an email address appearing to not be a Gmail one really is not going to Gmail. Gmail, as far as privacy goes, is on par with Facebook for being utterly and totally despicable.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

said by maartena:

So at this moment gmail is actually one of the better solutions for privacy.

How can you say that? Google reads all Gmail partly to insert personalized ads which makes gmail the WORST POSSIBLE email client as there is ZERO privacy when using Gmail.

They are the only provider that use VPN encryption between their email servers. They are not so pleased about the NSA. So maybe you are right in a sense that THEY (Google) can read the mail, but at this moment the NSA can't touch it. Of course all bets are off if you send outside the Gmail domain.

Regardless, e-mail is one of the worst methods of communication when it comes to privacy and security.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Google reads all Gmail partly to insert personalized ads which makes gmail the WORST POSSIBLE email client as there is ZERO privacy when using Gmail. There is not even any privacy for unsuspecting NON Gmail users who naively send email to Gmail users! There are current lawsuits (just denied class action status) against Google for reading AND STORING FOREVER any mail coming to a despicable Gmail recipient from a non Gmail naive sender.

I rarely use email for anything other than list servs and to get Microsoft bulletins, etc. I no longer communicate with others via email because of Gmail and the fact that some Gmail users are so especially despicable as to hide the fact that all their email addresses go into Gmail so the user cannot trust that an email address appearing to not be a Gmail one really is not going to Gmail. Gmail, as far as privacy goes, is on par with Facebook for being utterly and totally despicable.

You do realize Google scans, indexes, and stores forever all of the things you write publicly on this site and others? Partly to insert personalized ads when displaying searches results, but mostly to use as results for ANYONE searching. Not good when you tend to use the same unique user name multiple places for years.

Mine doesn't get you much as this is the only site I use it and it gets buried on searches by a famous celebrity Dr.:
»encrypted.google.com/sea ··· rdrew%22
Your user name gets alot specific to you, since it's pretty uncommon:
»encrypted.google.com/sea ··· q=mele20

Will you stop using Google Search or stop posting on public message boards because of that?

Not that it matters, you've written and continue to write all sorts of interesting personal details on multiple sites you can't get rid of now... BTW, Happy 70th Birthday Mele20!!!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by DocDrew:

Not good when you tend to use the same unique user name multiple places for years.

Mine doesn't get you much as this is the only site I use it and it gets buried on searches by a famous celebrity Dr.Drew

Very interesting! Tried Googling my nym. Pretty much useful for learning Norse/Norman (Normandy) history. Pretty useless for learning about myself.

»www.google.com/search?cl ··· oe=UTF-8
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

3 recommendations

dave

Premium Member

Wrong search string; try this one:

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· the+Drum

(the point being that any reasonably-unique identification you adopt, used consistently, will result in leaving a trail)

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by dave:

Wrong search string; try this one:

(the point being that any reasonably-unique identification you adopt, used consistently, will result in leaving a trail)

True enough. I keep track of my Usenet posts by a common MID$, too; involves a vanity domain that I own.

But then, I am not really all that concerned. I find it richly ironic that Mele20 See Profile refuses to communicate with her "despicable" friends via email because of the "despicable" tracking of Google and Yahoo!", while using her very own unique UID online.

Interesting thing is, you really need to know something more personal than just a person's name to "DOX" the person. And even the most avid privacy nut usually leaves enough "breadcrumbs" for a determined stalker to locate them. I just don't have the self-discipline to drop off the grid entirely; I doubt if either Mele20 See Profile, or 19579823 See Profile do, as well.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't get people like you. You do not understand what privacy is and since you don't understand what privacy is you assume it has to do with things that are not private.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

It seems to me that you are the one making assumptions about what I know, and don't know.

For starters, once I tell something to anyone else, no matter whom they are, it is no longer private. That "something" is only as "private" as as the security that particular "anyone" has in place on such data. If I don't want "Bob" to know something, I damned not better give that "Something" to George.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Yes, so? I agree with you. I still think you are confusing things. That is obvious from your statement.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

The only thing "obvious" to me is that you are confusing yourself. Basically, if I don't put anything in my email that I don't want Google to know, it doesn't matter if I use Google mail.

Would you exchange email with me if:

• I gave you an email account on my mail server (it would run end to end from your ISP IP connection to mine; not going through either of our ISP SMTP services)?

• I gave you a public encryption key?

To the first point, I invite you to run a trace route to: 'mele20.aosake.net'.