uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to maartena

Re: DHCP Question

I'm currently a contractor, so what I can ask is very limited. However, those of us who have worked with contractors in the past know that some contractors have ideas how things can be improved. We also know that there is usually a reason for how things are configured. However, the reason something was configured in a particular way may have changed and the configuration may no longer make sense.

I will give the IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS a try, but don't have high hopes. Frequently when I ping a machine I will get an IP address in the VPN range, even though the machine is on the LAN. This leads me to believe that DNS isn't up to date and the issue isn't local.

I am supporting mainly laptops where the users will work at different locations on the network and VPN, often multiple times in a day. Getting the IP address from the user isn't difficult, having the IP address possibly changing on a reboot is.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

whardman

join:2007-02-19
Cincinnati, OH
said by Kilroy:

users will work at different locations on the network and VPN, often multiple times in a day

This is going to be a large part of it. I'm thinking that you probably have a lot of users compared to the number of addresses in the scope, with only a smaller set there at any one time.

Lease time is probably less relevant here. If anything, it is probably higher, rather than lower. How long does the computer take to restart? If possible, check to see if the DHCP option "Release DHCP Lease on Shutdown" is enabled (it probably is). I am betting it is also a Linux server.

Essentially what is happening here is that on shutdown, the client is releasing the address, but before it has a chance to re-enable the network after boot, the address is already been given out to another device.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
said by whardman:

If possible, check to see if the DHCP option "Release DHCP Lease on Shutdown" is enabled (it probably is)

This is probably the issue. I'm guessing this is a server side setting and I can't see in on the client side. My IP address is showing a little over three days as my lease time. The site I have issues I haven't worked on any machines today. This was the information that I was hoping to get from this thread. Thank you.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein