Search similar:

uniqs

cookeys
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

Trying to set up QoS for Ooma kills speed.

Hi,

I have 40/4 with Centurylink. I get these speeds consistently, minus overhead. I have the CL modem/router combination that I've dumbed down so that I can use my Linksys E4200 router. I got an Ooma the other day and noticed terrible call quality. So I'm trying to set up QoS for the Ooma. The problem is, when I do that, my speeds are cut drastically. I go from 38/3.8 to 14/1.2. This happens as soon as I set up the QoS and click apply. Any suggestions?

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

If before »www.ooma.com/forums/view ··· 6#p66155

If after »www.ooma.com/forums/view ··· ?t=12403

You have good speeds and I have the same router as you. Well I have v1 you might have v2? Accept 100mb/5mb cable internet service. I have not needed to use qos at all and it works fine. Even with the devices I have hooked up. If you must use qos. Make sure you have the latest router firmware for v1. It fixed a bug with it. Use the voice setting, insert mac and set to auto. Or set by mac and then use auto for qos.

Desktop (wired)
Desktop (wireless 5GHz)
PS4 (wired)
Netbook (wireless 5GHz)
Printer (wireless 2.4GHz)
Directv On Demand (wired)

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

I too have a V1, updated to the latest firmware. The call quality on my Ooma is pretty poor. Lots of cut outs. And callers are LOUD. Thinking that maybe Ooma just isn't going to work out for me.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I don't have any trouble with mine at all. Works great. Maybe you got a bad Ooma box? Or you need much further troubleshooting. Really if you have time. Head over to the Ooma forums. Many helpful people over there. I personally don't use the stock firmware with e4200 v1. I use Tomato firmware. You also must have a quality internet connection. That goes for any voip.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

1 edit

cookeys

MVM

Thanks. I have 40/4, and though I've had it for a while, it seems high quality enough. I posted in the Ooma forum about the issues with the volume, and haven't heard anything back so far. Hopefully soon. I have until 4/12 to return this to Amazon. I would probably do one exchange before calling it quits.

Out of curiosity, how do you have yours set up? Mine comes after the router. It goes Modem > Router > Ooma. I've seen references to having the setup Modem > Ooma > Router. But I am not sure how well that would work out. Right now, I have a Centurylink router dumbed down to a modem, with the E4200 handling the login.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I should have been more specific about the quality. The speeds you have are great. I was talking about line or signal issues.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

I'm not aware of any issues. I ran all of the voip tests and they all came back perfect. I work with the connection all day and have had no issues. I suppose that there could be issues that I'm not aware of. Unfortunately with my setup, it is not easy to get into the modem and check. I can't get to the modem from my router, because the router is handling the login and the modem and router are not in the same IP range.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Oh is it one of those all in one deals? Modem/router and then using your own router as well? If so. Best to only use a modem and the Linksys.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

Yea. Wish it wasn't. Given the number of hardwired and wireless connections I'm running (home office with two people working full time), it's probably best not to have the Ooma handling the login.
asterger
join:2004-11-26
Raleigh, NC

asterger to cookeys

to cookeys
Use to be able to hit *99 for more Ooma bandwidth on an outbound call. Always had Ooma after the router. Have a 20/2 ISP service now but back when the uplink was less setup Ooma QOS. That may help. After going to 20/2 removed all QOS settings within Ooma.