spc
Search similar:

uniqs
swimman
join:2012-08-08
Holly Springs, NC

swimman

Selecting GV replacement but have questions

With the looming termination of GV for Obi, I need to select another provider. I'm considering Vestalink, Anveo and Powerphone. However, I have a couple of questions as I'm not very literate to all this VOIP talk but can find my way around the Obi portal and ObiTalk.

My intentions are to keep GV (as I can call from my computer and also receive inbound calls on the phone) and use the forwarding function of GV for the new service. My questions are regarding set up of the Obi (I have the 202 with two lines).

-Not sure which service I will go with above, but does each provide a phone number which I can then associate with my GV account?
-Once I establish an account, do I configure the Obi by setting up this provider under 'Service Providers' in the Obi (ITSP Profile) and 'Voice Services' (SPx)?

If the above is true then I'm a little confused as I already have GV set up on SP1 and SP2 and Profile A and B (for my two lines). Do I set up the new provider on SP3 (assuming I only go with one line)?

Any info will help and I'm sure there will be add'l questions once the discussion is started.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Try reading here:

»www.obitalk.com/forum/

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson to swimman

Premium Member

to swimman
What do you mean by: "... I have the 202 with two lines ..."
swimman
Holly Springs, NC

swimman

I have the Obi202 with two GV lines coming into it.
taoman
Premium Member
join:2013-09-13
Seattle, WA

taoman to swimman

Premium Member

to swimman
Yes, each would provide you a new DID number that you could use as a forwarding number in your GV account.
They also allow you to spoof your outgoing number to be your GV number.

Vestalink has a config file which you can push to your Obihai that would configure it for Vestalink. It is accessible from the Vestalink web portal.

If you purchase an Anveo or Powerphone plan thru the Obitalk portal (cheaper that way) you can configure your Obi right from there at that time.

You can configure it on SP3 which sounds like it might be the easiest for you. You would just check the box saying it would be your default outgoing route. I believe the Vestalink config file will overwrite your existing SP1 configuration. Anveo & Phonepower (using configuration thru Obitalk) allow you to choose where you want to configure it.
swimman
Holly Springs, NC

swimman

Great info. Thanks for the reply. I don't think I will have any issues with either of the providers. I just sometimes get lost in configuring the Obi, as I have two GV phone lines, and two Callcentric lines currently. If I go with Vesta, it will replace my SP1 which is one of my GV lines that will become inoperable at of 5/15 so no issues there. I just want to bypass having to reconfigure the Obi another time as I had issues in the past with Callcentric.