Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

1 edit

[Price] A little OUTRAGED ! Extreme 105 NOW Requires Rented Modem

So I purchased the Zoom 5341J to take advantage of the 8 downstream channels now available here. Since then I had some issues, not speed related necessarily. So normal customer service was unable to resolve them so I E-mailed Comcast's "Executive Support" team.

I got a call today from a guy. He was the rudest Comcast rep I had ever spoken to, EVER ! Not only did he not resolve anything but he told me my modem is not approved for my package. I told him I previously had the SB 6120 on the same package for about a year now and both it and my new modem are on the approved modem list. He insisted that list is incorrect and I MUST RENT a modem from them to receive the correct speeds on Extreme 105 ! I requested he forward me this info and sure enough there was a document published (ID TLK1043) on February 26th stating "Only Comcast issued equipment ensures that the specifications are always met and not altered.".
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.APetForum.com

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

[Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED !

So is this the new game they are going to play? They will not support any issues on customer owned equipment anymore? So you MUST pay them a troll fee in order to get service you pay for? Sounds like they are taking the tactics of the old telephone companies when you had to rent the telephones from them for an extortion fee.

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
reply to ExoticFish
think you could post a pic of that document? never heard of such a thing in my life

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
Document ID TLK1043; Published February 26, 2014

Collapse All

Overview

Extreme 105 is the latest Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 XFINITY speed product, which provides extreme and unbelievable internet speeds for customers. The product provides:

· 105 Mbps download speed

· 20 Mbps upload speed

Affected Areas

National.

Some of the Talking Points are not applicable for the Central Division.

Impact to Comcast

The Premium Installation fee for Extreme 105 is $249.
Extreme 105 is installed by 105 Mbps trained technicians. The Comcast Technician will:

· Conduct an in-depth analysis of the customer network.

· Ensure that the customer's home and equipment are prepared to support the speeds included in the Extreme 105 service.

· Perform a node health check on the day of installation and also on a daily basis after installation.

Impact to Customer

Extreme 105 targets:

· Hard-core gamers

· Users with several computers in their house

· Users who upload and share multimedia files

Media Inquiries

Any media inquiries should be directed to the local market media team.

Q&A

Some of the Frequently Asked Questions and their responses are as below:

Why do I need to use Comcast issued equipment?
Only certified Comcast equipment delivers the ensured service speed attached to the customer's account.

Comcast allows customers to use their own equipment for all your other Internet packages, why not Extreme 105?
Generally customers can use their own equipment and configure it as they see fit. But for Extreme 105, the configuration must be done and maintained at certain specifications. Only Comcast issued equipment ensures that the specifications are always met and are not altered intentionally or unintentionally.

But I have a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem and N Router, why do I need your versions?
Comcast installs equipments which have gone through extensive network certification process of Comcast and which have been proven in both laboratory and live network tests. This ensures that the equipment performs consistently and delivers the subscribed speed and services.

Does the $249 installation fee include installation of a wireless router?
Yes, the installation fee includes the installation of Comcast owned wireless router.

Why is there a premium installation fee for Extreme 105?
Extreme 105 is a premier internet product by Comcast and the premium installation fee guarantees a speed of 105 Mbps. A Comcast Certified Installation Technician performs additional tests which are not performed during installation of other premier internet service.

Is the premium installation fee refundable if I disconnect the service in 30, 60, 90 days?
The installation fee is non-refundable.
--

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by ExoticFish:

Extreme 105 is a premier internet product by Comcast and the premium installation fee guarantees a speed of 105 Mbps.

reeeeeally can't see them officially saying something like that, everywher ive heard speeds are never guaranteed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

reply to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

The Comcast Technician will:

· Ensure that the customer's home and equipment are prepared to support the speeds included in the Extreme 105 service.

So the Comcast tech is going to, on a daily basis, check the health of EVERY node where he has completed installs in the past? No wonder they cannot keep their appointments. THey are doing the work that automated systems should be doing.

Sorry, but that document just goes to show how sorry Comcast really is.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
reply to ExoticFish

[Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED ! Extreme 105 NOW Requires Rented Modem

This is hilarious seeing that they've been upgrading people over the phone for nothing in the Central / West region the past couple months.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
Yeah, it's completely ridiculous. He had no answer as to why I was receiving the correct speeds without renting their gateway. He basically insisted that unless I had it he was not going to do anything for me, with regards to any of my concerns.

If anyone would like to contact this guy I would be more than happy to give you his contact information. :-D
--

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ExoticFish

said by ExoticFish:

Only Comcast issued equipment ensures that the specifications are always met and are not altered intentionally or unintentionally.

While that is a true. It's ovisous you got some flunkie who sees that sales sheet as an absolute, rather then talking points.
someone with a little common sense, or more knowledge of the products could read between the lines and understand an unaltered/working Zoom 5341J is functional the same as a company owned one and that DOCSIS3 has plenty of safeguards against tampered equipment (it won't work!)
forward yourself to the direct forum and ignore what the junior suit said.

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX
reply to ExoticFish

[Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED ! Extreme 105 NOW Requires Rented Modem

In most companies, there are quite a few people who have access to create support documents. Just because they are there, does not mean they are accurate.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to ExoticFish
I have just posted in the Direct forum. Hopefully something can be resolved.

Ironically my internet just died on me. Coincidence ?
--

slick1ru23

join:2003-06-07
Marietta, GA
reply to ExoticFish
Business does too. I found out after switching from Residential and being forced to ditch my new Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem. Sucks.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
reply to ExoticFish
LOL! Sure, you’re not a greedy monopoly! Here, buy Time Warner Cable so you can rape 30 million more people!

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to ExoticFish
Could this be an attempt to steer customers toward using Comcast provided gateways in order for Comcast to increase their Infinity wireless coverage?

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by mb:

Could this be an attempt to steer customers toward using Comcast provided gateways in order for Comcast to increase their Infinity wireless coverage?

I would definitely agree with that. But if any of this is true, forcing customers who want the top package, yet have owned modems capable of the speed or even better, and won't allow it. They can bite me, I'll stay where I am or even go back to Performance in protest and whatever speed upgrades come, whenever, I'll just use those.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to mb
said by mb:

Well, the TC8305c and DPC3939 are the main 105 Mbps players. Both of those models do not support xfinitywifi at this time.

I guess they sometimes supply the TG862 to Extreme 105 customers, but with their poor range and random auto channel picking, they aren't building out any network with that lol. I wonder who it was who decided to let these things choose channels other than 1,6, and 11. They originally just chose any random channel out of 1,6, and 11, but now it's out of any channel.

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to mb
said by mb:

Or of course pad those below the line fees.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to ExoticFish
I got another E-mail with him with another document then a statement saying that only allowing a tech to come out and install this "Comcast approved modem" will fix my problem and that by not allowing that I am refusing to have the issue resolved.
--

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by ExoticFish:

I got another E-mail with him with another document then a statement saying that only allowing a tech to come out and install this "Comcast approved modem" will fix my problem and that by not allowing that I am refusing to have the issue resolved.

Uh-huh, if you're having signal issues or something not related to your equipment on your end, how exactly does paying for a tech to come out uselessly and install a rental modem, do anything at all to help you?

Wouldn't you issue persist anyway? Make these tools work for your cash. Challenge them at every turn. Maybe you'll get some real answers.

This situation reminds me of my proposed switch to a TP package and refusing the phone modem since I have my own cable modem and have no use for the phone service, even though I'd be charged for it. Wonder what they'd say to that if you're having so much trouble?

TAZ

join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to ExoticFish

said by ExoticFish:

LOL. What happens if this supposedly well-trained tech is faced with something besides POS consumer network gear? :P

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN
Reviews:
·TDS
reply to ExoticFish

Re: A little OUTRAGED ! Extreme 105 NOW Requires Rented Modem

Here's the clincher...... Beware.. Even if you own your own modem, Comcast may charge you a rental fee (by accident of course).

I found this out 8 months later... It took me 1 month to get sorted out with Comcast, and they did ultimately send me a refund check for the difference.

I think it's ridiculous to have to rent a modem (8 bucks a month). The modem may cost Comcast 50 bucks... If you rented the modem for 3 years would be 288 bucks. So, ultimately they are going to make a profit on the modem rental as well as the set top box rental.

Just my feelings on it. Some people may not mind renting the equipment.

To be fair... This may come down to ease of management for Comcast. How? Because so many people already own their own modem and are on Docsis 2. All of those people will probably be pissed they have to buy a new modem. By Comcast requiring a rental, any new standards would be done by just having a customer pick up the new model rather then tell them the "bad" news.

my 2¢

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to TAZ

said by TAZ:

said by ExoticFish:

LOL. What happens if this supposedly well-trained tech is faced with something besides POS consumer network gear? :P

Makes me wonder how many Linksys WRT54Gs are still out there that will definitely be blown away by the 50/105 upgrades.

In that case, I could rental units helping, but we tech savvy people don't like those gateways a lot of the time and don't want one. Especially when our N or better routers cost an arm and leg and often work better then the gateway units in so many ways.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to davidc502

Re: [Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED ! Extreme 105 NOW Requires Rented Modem

said by davidc502:

Here's the clincher...... Beware.. Even if you own your own modem, Comcast may charge you a rental fee (by accident of course).

I found this out 8 months later... It took me 1 month to get sorted out with Comcast, and they did ultimately send me a refund check for the difference.

I think it's ridiculous to have to rent a modem (8 bucks a month). The modem may cost Comcast 50 bucks... If you rented the modem for 3 years would be 288 bucks. So, ultimately they are going to make a profit on the modem rental as well as the set top box rental.

Just my feelings on it. Some people may not mind renting the equipment.

Amen. I got the same done to me after I bought my Motorola 6141. With the various credits and things owed to me, they paid for my Moto by the time it was all said and done. They even had the nerve to send me a letter saying I wasn't paying for a rental I no longer had and would be charged on my next bill. That CSR got a figurative earful that day.

Still, I'm all paid off and loving every minute of it. I'll keep my 8 bucks, thank you.

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Chris 313

Re: [Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED !

said by Chris 313:

Makes me wonder how many Linksys WRT54Gs are still out there that will definitely be blown away by the 50/105 upgrades.

Trust me, judging by the amount I see day to day in my line of work, the number is "lots"

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by train_wreck:

said by Chris 313:

Trust me, judging by the amount I see day to day in my line of work, the number is "lots"

That's sad. But joe customer needs to wake up and realize that the Wireless G of 10 years ago is no longer able to keep up and must be updated. I guess for joe customer, using the cable co's solution of the all in one gateway works.

Me on the other hand, along with most that frequent this site, know better and want our own things, configured how it works best for our network, eh?

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

said by Chris 313:

Our neighborhood is barren of WRT54Gs :P. With over 130 wireless networks found from my house, not one were a WRT54G .

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by Darknessfall:

said by train_wreck:

said by Chris 313:

Our neighborhood is barren of WRT54Gs :P. With over 130 wireless networks found from my house, not one were a WRT54G .

Where do you live? Maybe your neighborhood is a little more tech inclined then most?

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

4 edits

1 recommendation

I live in secretville . I'm in CT though. Here's my little network word file I keep . I don't include the AT&T G 2wires in my list though usually. SSIDs are removed. I group the Comcast gateways together. I include the SSID, max rate, channel, and brand :P. Most people use their ISP gateways. My list got a little scrambled when I copy/pasted.

N144/1(2wire)
N130/6(2wire)
N144/1(Motorola)
N144/1(Motorola)
N144/6(Motorola)
G/11(Belkin)
G/11(Belkin)
N300/157+161(Cisco)
N300/157+161(Cisco)
N300/36+40(Cisco)
N65/6(Linksys)
N270/1(Arris)
N150/2+6 (Netgear)
N144/11(Linksys)
N150/1+5 (Belkin)
N144/1(NETGEAR)
G/1 (Netgear)
G/1(Netgear)
N72/11(Belkin)
N300/36+40(Belkin)
N65/1 (Netgear)
B/2 (Cisco Systems)
N150/2+6(Netgear)
N65/11(Netgear)
N405/10(Arris)
G/1(Netgear)
G/11(Belkin)
G/6(Netgear)
G/11(Netgear)
N130/2(Arris)
N130/3(Arris)
N216/1(Technicolor)
N216/11(Technicolor)
N130/10(Arris)
N216/1(Technicolor)
N270/1 (Arris)
N130/2(Arris)
N216/11 (Technicolor)
N216/11 (Technicolor)
N216/6(Cisco)
N216/11(Technicolor)
N216/11 (Technicolor)
N300/11+7 (Hawking Edimax)
N144/11(Actiontec, FiOS router)
N130/6(Netgear)
N144/1(Linksys)
N150/6+10(NETGEAR)
N144/1(Roku)
G/1(HP)
N450/11(SMC)
N130/6(2WIRE)
n130/2(NETGEAR)
G/6(TP-Link)
N130/2(NETGEAR)
n150/1(NETGEAR)
N/1(Netgear)
N/11(Belkin)
N/11(Netgear)
N/6(Linksys)
N144/1(Motorola)
N144/1(Unknown)
N65/11(NETGEAR)
N130/11(Arris)

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

I guess for joe customer, using the cable co's solution of the all in one gateway works.

Bingo. Easy, simple, 1 box instead of 2. Less to think about/manage/troubleshoot when invariably things go wrong or are less than satisfactory. I suppose to many folks out there, that's worth 8 bucks a month. Even then, 8$/month = $96/year = $192/2 years, etc., versus a one-time ~$80 investment...

And on the WRT54G thing, i'd be willing to bet many of those owners may have been upgraded already to a speed their router can't handle; I doubt many of them notice or care. As i've said before on here, you can do a lot with 25mbps, particularly if you're not the most technically inclined.

Still, i do cringe when I see WRT54Gs or D2 modems laying about

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by train_wreck:

said by Chris 313:

I guess for joe customer, using the cable co's solution of the all in one gateway works.

Bingo. Easy, simple, 1 box instead of 2. Less to think about/manage/troubleshoot when invariably things go wrong or are less than satisfactory. I suppose to many folks out there, that's worth 8 bucks a month. Even then, 8$/month = $96/year = $192/2 years, etc., versus a one-time ~$80 investment...

And on the WRT54G thing, i'd be willing to bet many of those owners may have been upgraded already to a speed their router can't handle; I doubt many of them notice or care. As i've said before on here, you can do a lot with 25mbps, particularly if you're not the most technically inclined.

Still, i do cringe when I see WRT54Gs or D2 modems laying about

Yes, I agree with what you said. The more tech inclined will do as we have done and resist renting again at all costs, while the Gateway solution is there for everyone else. And I definitely agree with you there. I pushed my WRT54G as far as it would go, (about 33/12) and unknown to me, I could've waited a further 2 months since the 50/10 upgrade wasn't stable yet, before buying my Asus RT-N66U and saving a overall 20 bucks on what I spent.

And while 25 is nothing to sneeze at, I cling to every dollar I have and want the best out of all my gear. Especially since I'm a power user and have all my stuff lit up and working at all hours, at any time. If I pay for 50/10, I'm well gonna see that I get it, or be tracking down the issue as to why I'm not.

And you're not the only one who cringes. Just for giggles, I was on Ebay this morning, looking for the engineering samples of the Moto 6183 16x4 modems some have bought and are using on TWC connections, only to find none, and instead found a buttload of D2 modems. I feel very sorry for whoever gets suckered into buying one of those, given the coming 50/105+ upgrades and decides to cheap out.