uniqs
share rss forum feed

TAZ

join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ
kudos:3
reply to IPFW

Re: [Price] A little OUTRAGED ! Extreme 105 NOW Requires Rented Modem

No need. Comcast already confirmed it (that the document wasn't made up): »Comcast: No, We're Not Forcing Users to Rent Modems.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to ExoticFish
I just helped someone move from FiOS to Comcast. (they sold their home, and moved into a temp-rental home till new home additions and reno is done).

The modem is the Extreme 10r service. When I got to the temp-rental with the client's gear (computers, networking, router, etc...), I only needed half the hardware as the rental was smaller than previous home.
However, the contractor that installed the modem, left it on (ok I guess) and just a hole in the floor with enough cable to put on side of a desk (can't blame him as there was no furniture for reference).
Well, I bridged the client's router (Airport Extreme) and it got DHCP and DNS from the 105+ modem.
I could see the modem's wifi (Home-###) and on a comcast page, was able to login and hide the wifi (but not turn it off!).
In 20 mins, the client can't any web page or email (except, Comcast's walled garden-landing site).
There was no internet and it required a call to Comcast. The CSR was really helpful and explained the "bootfile" needed an update, which he did, I watched the modem reset and he made sure I verify access to various sites (Google, yahoo, etc).
So the Extreme 105 service works fine. But I found some issues:
-client never created an ID so we couldn't access - activate the service
-comcast's support site is cryptic to find phone number (it isn't on the support page ...gotta dig).
-a 3rd party installed the modem (WhiteFence) and were "handsoff" once the modem was in the home (no instructions, no support..."contact your ISP").
-What is this bootfile and why can't one disable the wifi/radio?
(I forgot to ask the CSR as the client was in a "b-tchy" mood and just wanted their internet...)
--
Splat

adamtech78

join:2006-01-25
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to beerbum
I called Comcast to give me partial credit for TV service which was not working right for a week. The cust serv dude put me into retentions. So while I was there I asked if they have any deals for existing customers and the lady said no lower cost possible but she can bump my Extreme from 50 to 105. I asked if I needed to reboot modem or anything like that and she said no.
Got home and checked speeds. 117 down, 20 up.

So the $249 is a BS fee. If you order service at first and wiring is old or does not exist then Crapcast needs to run lines.

My .02

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to ropeguru

Re: [Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED !

said by ropeguru:

So is this the new game they are going to play? They will not support any issues on customer owned equipment anymore? So you MUST pay them a troll fee in order to get service you pay for?

Would you prefer that they include the rental fee in the base price instead? The result is the same. They have the right to charge the amounts and set the policies they want.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

1 recommendation

There's no reason to include a rental fee since it's been confirmed by Comcast that we are indeed allowed to use our own modems on Extreme 105.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.APetForum.com

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to cableties

said by cableties:

-What is this bootfile and why can't one disable the wifi/radio?

The bootfile is also known as the config file. It determines what speeds you're allowed to reach, how many IP addresses you get, whether you're stuck in the walled garden, etc.

As for the WiFi, you'll have to call and ask them to put it in bridge mode. This disables all of the wireless and routing capabilities, turning it into a "dumb" modem (right now it's probably doing double NAT). However, it's liable to reset to the default full mode during automated system audits. Welcome to the wonderful world of cable gateways .

What I would do if the customer is going to be with Comcast for a year or more is to purchase a standalone modem and return the gateway unit at a local Comcast office. The modem will pay for itself quickly with the loss of the $8/month modem rental charge. If/when they decide to do that, keep both the new modem's receipt and a receipt for returning the gateway, so you have proof in case their billing system conveniently forgets to remove the rental charge.
--
KI6RIT

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to ctggzg

Yes, I would prefer a rental fee, and all other fees, in the base price. Over the past couple of years, WHILE UNDER CONTRACT, my cost has gone up. If it were included in the base then my cost would be the same as it was when I signed an agrred upon price in my CONTRACT. These fees are nothing more than rate increases without a rate increase and a way to screw the customer.

cheeseman

@comcast.net
The terms of the price increases are laid out specifically in the contract you signed.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

1 recommendation

reply to ExoticFish

Just wanted to update this.

I never was contacted by anyone, yet. Pete, in the direct forum, was kind enough to resolve all the issues I was having which initiated the original E-mail to "Customer Relations".

The Zoom 5341J was returned and exchanged for a SB6141 which is now giving me the new 150Mbps speeds, although a little unstable at the moment.
--

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by ExoticFish:

Just wanted to update this.

I never was contacted by anyone, yet. Pete, in the direct forum, was kind enough to resolve all the issues I was having which initiated the original E-mail to "Customer Relations".

The Zoom 5341J was returned and exchanged for a SB6141 which is now giving me the new 150Mbps speeds, although a little unstable at the moment.

That is really pathetic, given the media exposure this issue gained. Gotta love the Comcast Direct forum, eh? When they are good, they are golden.

As for your slightly unstable speed, it took me 2 months to get my 50/10 stable when blast was upgraded. So sit back and watch and see what happened.

I'm glad you got your issues solved, if not to your original satisfaction.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

1 recommendation

Pete took care of me.

It absolutely is pathetic that I wasn't contacted but Karl did in fact notify his contact and informed them that no one ever reached out to me, as they told him they would. I hope someone takes action against "Ralph" for altering document dates to make them seem recent and refusing to resolve any of my problems because I would not rent the modem.
--

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by ExoticFish:

I hope someone takes action against "Ralph" for altering document dates to make them seem recent and refusing to resolve any of my problems because I would not rent the modem.

Believe me, any action taken against "Ralph" would be because he failed to get you to accept the rental "modem", not for any deception involved in the attempt to do so. That is Corporate Customer Service 101, and it is definitely not a Comcast specific thing. A "post-merger" declaration from my former employer, that my job was to provide "an illusion of service" to customers was one of the prime reasons that I pulled the corporate parachute cord and took early retirement (while I was still eligible for some grandfathered "pre-merger" termination benefits) two decades ago.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

devilsrogue

join:2011-08-20
Brocton, NY
Dude, we should really bust them for this, I do not think that's ok, the way they are treating me now too. I hate customer service, not the services itself. They werent this way to me EVER back in the day, and circa 2010, they became horrid for me!

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
The issue got some attention so I guess all we can hope for is that something happens behind the scenes.
--

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

Pete took care of me.

It absolutely is pathetic that I wasn't contacted but Karl did in fact notify his contact and informed them that no one ever reached out to me, as they told him they would. I hope someone takes action against "Ralph" for altering document dates to make them seem recent and refusing to resolve any of my problems because I would not rent the modem.

I would hope they do. Has this experience dulled your faith in Comcast's service?

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
I never had much faith in their customer service. LoL

As far as the service itself, with the exception of a few issues over 4 years, I'd generally say I'm satisfied. Even in these 4 years though, I've seen a decline in customer service when I have had to contact them via phone.
--

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by ExoticFish:

I never had much faith in their customer service. LoL

As far as the service itself, with the exception of a few issues over 4 years, I'd generally say I'm satisfied. Even in these 4 years though, I've seen a decline in customer service when I have had to contact them via phone.

Yes, I've had customer service issues with them many times. The trick is to keep on them until they do what you need them to do.

Me getting my own modem resulted in so much credit when it was finally over that my modem (46.29 worth for a 6141) that it was paid off in a month.

As for service itself, I've had cable for 10 years and through TWC and then through Comcast. After it's working, I get my speed and then some. Connection is almost never down (With recent exceptions being Valentine's day from 11:30 to 7:30 pm and about a week ago where a DNS outage screwed with things, but I fixed in 2 minutes.) And when the upgrade finally hits, I fully expect to get 120/11+ out of my connection. And if I had Extreme 150, 170-175/25

JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX
reply to train_wreck

Check out Cable Labs. They are to the cable industry as Underwriters Labs is to the electrical industry.
Cable Labs certifies a download speed via Ethernet only. Due to the number of different factors that can affect wireless communications, they do not certify wireless (as far as I know).
The reason for the wording is that standard cat 5 ethernet cabling going to a standard 100 Mbps network card cannot actualy sustain 105 Mbps throughput. So that's got to be right.
If there are any siganl issues in the cable, you won't get your 105 throughput. That's why the verbiage "the premium installation fee guarantees a speed of 105 Mbps."
That is also why there is the caveat about a rental vs owned. If it's a comcast rental, then if any comast specific network firmware updates are necessary, it will be pushed to rental units only, !not any customer owned units!.
That avoids any liability issues if a modem decides to go out after a firmware update. If it's a Comcast unit, then it's on Comcast to replace it.
If the manufacturer of the unit pushes out a firmware update from their side for a particuliar model, then that would be applied to all units of that model on the network, both rented and owned.
When I looked at the document, all of it came down to "if it isn't Comcast gear and we did not install it, we cannot guarantee your speeds". Considering the pricing and the litigation culture, it makes sense to me

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 recommendation

said by JohnShade:

Check out Cable Labs. They are to the cable industry as Underwriters Labs is to the electrical industry.
Cable Labs certifies a download speed via Ethernet only. Due to the number of different factors that can affect wireless communications, they do not certify wireless (as far as I know).
The reason for the wording is that standard cat 5 ethernet cabling going to a standard 100 Mbps network card cannot actualy sustain 105 Mbps throughput. So that's got to be right.
If there are any siganl issues in the cable, you won't get your 105 throughput. That's why the verbiage "the premium installation fee guarantees a speed of 105 Mbps."
That is also why there is the caveat about a rental vs owned. If it's a comcast rental, then if any comast specific network firmware updates are necessary, it will be pushed to rental units only, !not any customer owned units!.
That avoids any liability issues if a modem decides to go out after a firmware update. If it's a Comcast unit, then it's on Comcast to replace it.
If the manufacturer of the unit pushes out a firmware update from their side for a particuliar model, then that would be applied to all units of that model on the network, both rented and owned.
When I looked at the document, all of it came down to "if it isn't Comcast gear and we did not install it, we cannot guarantee your speeds". Considering the pricing and the litigation culture, it makes sense to me

You bring up a few good points, but the way I see it personally is that if a device is approved to work on Comcast, whether it's rent or owned, shouldn't matter. It should all work the same. And this agent certainly didn't get that.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to JohnShade
Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't firmware versions only pushed by Comcast ? Motorola doesn't come out with a new firmware for example and simply push it to all Motorola modems without Comcast's approval... Comcast will push the firmware once and if they approve it.

That being said, your comment doesn't apply IMO.
--

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
Yes, most ISP handle modem FW updates, specially on cable. DSL, not so much.

join:2014-01-06
reply to devilsrogue

said by devilsrogue:

Dude, we should really bust them for this, I do not think that's ok, the way they are treating me now too.

The problem is that the issue comes from the top down.
Karl needs to speak with an executive assistant to the CEO at the corporate HQ, not some flunky in the "Office of The President" boiler room operation.

They clearly need to be humiliated a few times before the top executives will "get it".

After all who the heck pays these top brass tacks' HUGE salaries and perks???

THE CUSTOMER DOES!!!

sava700

join:2005-03-08
united state
reply to ExoticFish
I have the SB6120 and I'm only 20miles away from you Exotic, and I can't get but 36/6 lol I envy you very much at this point!

TAZ

join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ
kudos:3
reply to 63475675
Click for full size
said by 63475675:

The problem is that the issue comes from the top down.
Karl needs to speak with an executive assistant to the CEO at the corporate HQ, not some flunky in the "Office of The President" boiler room operation.

They clearly need to be humiliated a few times before the top executives will "get it".

After all who the heck pays these top brass tacks' HUGE salaries and perks???

THE CUSTOMER DOES!!!

I spoke with the CEO. See his response attached above.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to sava700
If you can figure out how to share my connection, you're welcome to. Hehe
--

ablecableguy

join:2013-12-01
Huntsville, AL
reply to ExoticFish
FYI: I have an internal company document from 2/2014 that states when "wireless is not on the order, technicians must install a DOCSIS 3.0 modem". It does not specify a modem model, as any D3 modem should be capable of those speeds. I have installed several customers with just a D3 modem and their speed was fine.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Comcast Guy

Re: A little OUTRAGED ! Extreme 105 NOW Requires Rented Modem

said by Comcast Guy:

said by Cthen:

At this point I wouldn't say that would be an accident. It has happened to people for many many years and many many times. Comcast knows of this and still does nothing to correct it from happening in the first place.

After that long of things like that going on, it is nothing but a scam plain and simple.

It is not a scam. It is the failure of a human marking or un-marking the correct boxes in the billing system.

But keep thinking there is one Snidely Whiplash laughing and twirling his mustache.

And the failure has been going on for how long now? Yes, years now with all of Comcast knowing about it. If they haven't taken any steps after all this time to correct it, then yes, it is scam at this point and has been for a while now.

But keep thinking that it is just a mistake.

Extide

join:2000-06-11

1 recommendation

reply to JohnShade

said by JohnShade:

Well, first of all, the manufacturers do not push out firmware updates at all. They provide the updates to Comcast, who test them out in their 'lab' and once Comcast approves them, then Comcast will push the firmware updates out. And they DO push the updates out to everyone with that model, whether it is customer owned, or comcast owned. For example, my modem has been updated a couple of times, and it is and has always been owned by me. I don't really think COmcast gives a shit if they brick someones modem, lol.

said by ExoticFish:

Is 150 a typo (105) or are you really getting 150mbit service now? Is that a spiff for you or a new tier? I have never heard of a 150 tier before.

Coelispex

join:2013-06-03
Wilmette, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ExoticFish:

Is 150 a typo (105) or are you really getting 150mbit service now? Is that a spiff for you or a new tier? I have never heard of a 150 tier before.

Existing Extreme 105 customers prior to the "Free Upgrade" is now getting 150Mbps download speed.

JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX
reply to Chris 313
True. if it's on the approved list, that means that type/model has been tested on the network. No, you do NOT have to rent a modem from us. usually the issues start when the modem is incorrectly added to the inventory system. If it's yours, then it suppoesed to be flagged as "owned/purchased". If the person adding it misses that (standard human error) then the system (which is a computer!) will assume that you need to "return" it. I agree that the agent didn't understand the actual issue